Oldsmobile engines. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2004, 04:36 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Oldsmobile engines.

Hey, Well it turns out that I have a messed up crankshaft on my oldsmobile 307. So instead of fixing it im going to just get a new engine. The 2 engines im trying to find are a oldsmobile 350 and a olds 403. I was just wondering what cars could you find these enigines in and do they have good power?

Thanks

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2004, 05:31 PM

Last photo:

Oldsmobile mid 80's and earlier, Pontiac Firebird, Buick Riviera. Mixed years mid 80's and prior.
Old 03-22-2004, 07:02 PM
Grumpy

Last photo:

You can find a 403 in most any olds 77-79(delta 88, cutlass, etc.) but you can find even more of them in the pontiac trans am of those years. 403s are DAMN COSTLY to rebuild, fair warning.

Olds did'nt install any 350s in the 80s just 307s and buick 231s. Only 350s in the 80s were the diesels. You'll have to seach for 81, or 80 and below for a 350.
Old 03-22-2004, 08:04 PM

Last photo:

Well are the olds 350's still good engines? How about power wise?
Old 03-22-2004, 08:10 PM
Grumpy

Last photo:

Decent, I dont like em, nothing a roller 307 can't tackle, but thats personal opinion.

People just like em cause they were some of the cheapest and easy to get engines.... well that was until the 307 of course

If you've got one on hand, or know where to get one go for it, but if you can find a low mileage 403 that you dont have to rebuild I'd pick that over the 350 any day. 350 rods I have heard are also weaker, but could be wrong.

A stock non smog era 350 is about 180HP and 275ft lbs...... not much better than a 307 ahhh?
Old 03-22-2004, 08:19 PM

Last photo:

Well the 307 I had really felt weak. Hopefully I can find a good 403. What cars did you say they came in? I heard those 403's can be a real mean motor.
Old 03-22-2004, 08:30 PM
Grumpy

Last photo:

Any 77-79 Delta 88, 98 regency, toronado, possibly some cutlass's, and you'll find alot of them out of pontiac trans ams, and catalina 's
Old 03-22-2004, 08:33 PM

Last photo:

Ok more questions. Does a 350 olds motor have just as much power as a stock chevy 350 motor? I also wanted to know if a chevy 350 will hook up to my transmission.

Is it true that the 403 is a good powerfull engine? Because my car is a 84 delta 88 and is pretty big as you know if you have ever seen one.
Old 03-22-2004, 08:42 PM
Grumpy

Last photo:

Does a chevy 350 have mroe power than an olds.. kind of comparing apples to oranges, but I'll try.

From a dead stand still the olds 350 will wip the chevy 350 as the olds is built more toward low end performance, the olds motors dont suffer from small intake or exhaust runners like all chevy motors, also olds motors come stock with 1.6 ratio rockers to give it more lift to take advantage of the bigger passages. I think olds motors are also not balanced as well as other GMs, but thats opinion.

BUT, Chevy motors typicaly make up for some of their breathing and valvetrain problems by upping the compression, and using a meaner camshaft profile giving the chevy motor no bottom end, but a good top end where the olds motors tend to lack.

If you read up on performance chevy 350s you'll see their stock compression ratios around 8.75 to the 9's and higher, olds motors are typicaly around 7.9-8.2:1

If you got the money to spend to could up the comperssion on an olds 350, use a bigger cam, and make sure to balance it. Would beat the (#*$# out of a chevy

Doesnt anyone else have any advice, or opinions?
Old 03-22-2004, 08:48 PM

Last photo:

Well thanks for all the help. I just wanted somthing that would maybe squak the tires a little bit lol.
Thanks agian!
Old 03-22-2004, 09:15 PM

Old 03-22-2004, 10:01 PM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

I have facts, stock chevy engines came with 8.5:1 compression throughout the smog era. they made little horsepower, but made decent torque. as far as comparing the 2 engines there are too many factors, what car? what gear ratio? what transmission?
The olds 350 will run circles around a 307 power wise with just a few upgrade parts, the same parts on the 307 help power little, there are many sites online about the olds 307, and they all say the same thing, good luck getting the power level above 210, as few performance parts were made for these engines, there were not made for performance, they were made for low end torque work horse engines. the one that came in my cutlass lasted over 160,000 miles but had no power, but with 2.14:1 gears in it I didn`t expect it too. Olds 403`s also came in Buick electra`s in the late 70`s, so this is another place to look for them. I would find a olds 350, get a few upgrade parts for it like headers, and the edelbrock performer plus package, then I`d add some rear gears in the ratio of 3.42:1 or 3.23:1, you`ll have a nice throttle responsive car that`s decent on fuel mileage that has good power. the olds 350 is likely the cheapest route to go.
Old 03-22-2004, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by 87442lover
Does a chevy 350 have mroe power than an olds.. kind of comparing apples to oranges, but I'll try.

From a dead stand still the olds 350 will wip the chevy 350 as the olds is built more toward low end performance, the olds motors dont suffer from small intake or exhaust runners like all chevy motors, also olds motors come stock with 1.6 ratio rockers to give it more lift to take advantage of the bigger passages. I think olds motors are also not balanced as well as other GMs, but thats opinion.

BUT, Chevy motors typicaly make up for some of their breathing and valvetrain problems by upping the compression, and using a meaner camshaft profile giving the chevy motor no bottom end, but a good top end where the olds motors tend to lack.

If you read up on performance chevy 350s you'll see their stock compression ratios around 8.75 to the 9's and higher, olds motors are typicaly around 7.9-8.2:1

If you got the money to spend to could up the comperssion on an olds 350, use a bigger cam, and make sure to balance it. Would beat the (#*$# out of a chevy

Doesnt anyone else have any advice, or opinions?
I'm tempted to say something here I'm not gonna
Old 03-22-2004, 10:34 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

I am biting my tongue too.........

Budget RVs
Old 03-23-2004, 12:40 AM
Grumpy

Last photo:

eehhh... emmm.. and what would that be?

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.