oldsmobile headliner coming down!!!! - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Interior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2007, 09:27 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

oldsmobile headliner coming down!!!!

Hello people
I have a 1991 oldsmobile that has the classic gm headliner saggin problem...any ideas on how to fix this??? I feel like I am driving a tent with every thing coming down around my head.....or better yet I am a little kid inside a fort made out of sheets. I was thinking about taking down the neadliner and removing the foam and using clear sillicone and spreading it on the main foam backer then putting down the material over that. Not sure if theres a better way or not.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2007, 10:05 PM

Last photo:

Headliner

Remove headliner and replace with new headliner material. You can use a product from 3M that is a spray adhesive to glue the old headliner back together. But it will come loose again because the foam inside breaks down. The only permanent fix is to just replace it. Do not use silicone. You can purchase everything you need from a store that sells automotive upholstery supplies. It is easy to do but practice on some scraps first. If you apply to much glue it will soak in and show up as a stain. If you don't use enough it will not hold.
Old 07-22-2007, 12:04 AM

Last photo:

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/P...002659/c-10101

You could use a kit such as the one above and do the job yourself, or you just may want to check out an upholsterer in your area and see if it may be worth the bucks to have a pro do the job for you! By all means just pull the old stuff down and don't try to reglue it back up. Anything you glue to the original backing board may damage it and cost you more to repair in the long run.
Old 07-22-2007, 01:27 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Contact adhesive
Last journal entry: 49 Packard
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 22

If you do try to glue the new headliner material yourself, make sure you use high temperature contact adhesive. Performance, 3-M and DAP all make it in aerosol cans. Good luck.

No one lives forever, the trick is creating something that will.
Old 07-23-2007, 12:35 PM

Last journal entry: The Chevy Bench Seat - Part 52
Last photo:

A coworker of mine just had the headliner replaced in his '77 Ford, and I learned a few positive things from his experience.

The shop quoted him a price of $300 for the entire job. They worked with him on paying for the job. He gave them half of their fee up front, and they ordered the material with that. When the material arrived (about a week later) he dropped off the car on a Monday morning. They took his old headliner out, took it apart to use for a pattern, made, and installed the new headliner. He picked it up that Friday afternoon, and paid them the other half of the total price.

They did a fabulous job, and even though his seats still need to be recovered, the interior looks 100% better.

This is just my opinion here, but speaking as somebody who has gotten in way over his head a couple of times the first time he tried something he had never done before, I think $300 is money well spent when you take the P.I.T.A. factor into account. My never to be humble opinion is to let a pro handle this - unless of course you're planning to do this for a living, or a hobby. In that case, I say go for it. If, on the other hand, you never plan to do this again, talk to a pro before you dive into it.

I'm not trying to discourage you or be a wet blanket. Bitter experience has taught me that the most important rule in doing it yourself is knowing when not to.
Old 07-24-2007, 07:04 AM

73oldsman Thanks for the link to jcwhitney I dont seem to own a car that doesnt have a sagging headliner. Maybe i'll start with my least favorite car first to get practice so by the time i get to my favorite i dont mess it up. The other 2 cars i just want it off my head with out thumb tacks in it lol.
Old 07-24-2007, 09:17 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Most upholstery shops can get you this same foam-backed nylon headliner material. I have access to 44 stock colors and 66 more custom colors. You need to clean off the headliner board of all the foam and get it down to a clean, viable surface before trying to glue the new fabric to it. If you don't do thorough prep work, you can have the same problem all over again.

Old 07-24-2007, 01:13 PM

Last wiki edit: Wheelbase database Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanTwoLakes
Most upholstery shops can get you this same foam-backed nylon headliner material. I have access to 44 stock colors and 66 more custom colors. You need to clean off the headliner board of all the foam and get it down to a clean, viable surface before trying to glue the new fabric to it. If you don't do thorough prep work, you can have the same problem all over again.
Here's an on-line source for upholstery material and supplies that I've used:

http://www.atrim.com/index.html

They are very helpful and will gladly send you swatches of material to ensure you buy the right stuff. I bought a roll of foam backed headliner and two cans of spray adhesive for my station wagon from them recently.

The biggest problem you'll have is getting the headliner board out of the car. On my wagon it's easy, since I can just take everything out the back. On a sedan it needs to go out the passenger side front door. I suspect the factory installed the headliner board before the windshield went in, which makes it a lot easier. And I'll echo what Dan TwoLakes wrote - prep is very important. I suggest covering the seats with plastic and pulling the old material off first. Wear a hat and long-sleeve shirt, as this is one of the messiest automotive jobs there is. You'll need to remove all the reveal molding, which is a challenge unto itself. GM uses plastic clips under this molding and in many cases the only way to get it off is to break the clips. Replacements can be tough to find. I've just this week found a source for the reveal molding clips for my 86 wagon and I've been looking for a year. Auveco is usually a good source, but they don't have a listing for my clips.
Old 07-25-2007, 02:19 AM

Last photo:

I have done it on a S-10 before, but the thing is, how does one spread the material so there are no wrinkles? If you use the 3m stuff you better get it right ...only one chance if its contact cement. Wow, good point. I never thought about how the thing would come out if it's a 4 door and you're probably right about the windshield.

Last edited by DanTwoLakes; 07-25-2007 at 07:53 AM. Reason: Violation of guidelines. Please see: general board guidelines.
Old 07-25-2007, 03:43 PM

Last photo:

joe_padavano, where did you say you found the clips?
I might need some clips for an '87 Olds.
Thanks.
Old 07-25-2007, 03:51 PM

Last wiki edit: Wheelbase database Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrot
joe_padavano, where did you say you found the clips?
I might need some clips for an '87 Olds.
Thanks.
Which clips do you need? Auveco has many of the OEM clips, but not all. I needed the reveal molding clips for a B-body wagon. I finally found them from a clip vendor at the Syracuse Nationals last weekend. Auveco's website and online catalog is here:

http://www.auveco.com/
Old 07-25-2007, 05:50 PM

Last photo:

OK thanks I'll look there.
I've taken down the liner but haven't removed the panel from the car yet, so I don't know what clips, if any, I'll need..
Old 07-27-2007, 02:35 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fumplet
I have done it on a S-10 before, but the thing is, how does one spread the material so there are no wrinkles? If you use the 3m stuff you better get it right ...only one chance if its contact cement.
The contact cement has to be dry when you attach the new headliner material to the board. Start in the center and gently and lightly work out from there. You can put down dowels or strips of cardboard across the board, lay the fabric on top of that to keep the glue on the back of the fabric from touching the glue on the board, and then pull the dowels or cardboard strips out as you go.

Recent Interior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.