Omni Epoxy - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-17-2005, 05:24 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Omni Epoxy

Any opinions on Omni Epoxy primer? I'm doing a 64 1/2 Mustang convertible. I have the deck lid one fender and quarters down to clean bare metal. Im going to blow a coat of epoxy on them, followed by FeatherFill G2,block them,follow with RM Diamont 2k,final sand that, then RM Diamont Basecoat/Clearcoat.I have been using DP 90 so far but i can't drop another $200 or whatever it is for another gallon of DP. The owner just about had a stroke when he saw the paint materials cost.The RM stuff is way expensive. I can get a gallon of Omni for about $80. Am i making a mistake using Omni under the other high quality products?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2005, 05:31 PM

Last photo:

First let me point out that I am not a pro however I have used a bunch of Omni MP 170 and it seems to work really good, for me anyway. It goes on slick, sands easily when needed and just seems to do a good job. I did both my mustangs, both 64 1/2 coupes, with it. Just my 2 cents
Old 08-17-2005, 06:41 PM

Last photo:

Wow you used a whole gallon of epoxy allready and need another gallon? I've used a bit of omni epoxy and it seems fine to me. I don't know how well it compares to the dp because I haven't seen any of the cars far down the road. But dbc is compatable with it as far as I can tell. Just recently seen a car I used omni epoxy and primer on with dbc base and nason clear about 1 1/2-2 years ago and it looks as good as it did when it was painted. And there was bare metal because the holes where the factory spoiler was were welded up.
Old 08-17-2005, 06:41 PM

I use the omni epoxy and the omni spray polyester and both worked great. We had one problem when the tech sprayed over the epoxy to quickly. Sheet said 30 minutes but the guy on the tech line said at least an hour(I believe he said that they are changing the P-sheet) overnight the best. The polyester did not adhere to the epoxy. Keep in mind that the tech messed up not the product.
Old 08-17-2005, 09:15 PM

Last photo:

No i bought a quart of DP. I'm buying a gallon next of whatever.Quart price for DP was $60 . The epoxy will sit a few weeks before it gets reprimed,so i should be ok AC/DC. I may give it a shot.From what i here the new DP (DPLF) thats on the market is not so hot.At least compared to the old DP. FWIW i have been using U-Tech (azko Nobel) Epoxy on my own stuff for a few years and i love it.But I can't find it where i'm living now. I have a gallon that i bought before i moved that i'm using sparingly for my own car.
Old 08-17-2005, 09:35 PM
more debt than brains

i used omni under my hok 3 stage candy and it was just fine....
Old 08-18-2005, 12:24 AM

Last photo:

yep old dp was better with the chromates, think mainly being lead and zinc. makes for good protection of metal, but harmfull to people so they got regulated out.
Old 08-18-2005, 06:41 PM

Shoddy,
as you might know from the chevelle site am a PPG guy, and Ive said it many times that new DPLF really does suck!

I really do suggest that you look into this manufactor
www.southernpolyurethanes.com
They have an epoxy that IMO is superior to the old DP epoxy and at a better price.

Their turbo 2K urethane primer reminds me of Dupont's Uroprime.
Plus the president/owner is a house resident on this site, BarryK. From my dealings with him he's a stand up guy
Old 08-18-2005, 08:33 PM

Last photo:

Well i bought the DP. Mainly because i couldn't get the Omni in black and thats what i want. I will look into the SP, but i needed it today.What exactly 'sucks' about the DPLF? Besides the price? SPI looks real good. I have no problem trying new stuff, If i can only get my boss off of BASF/Diamont.

Last edited by shoddy_f-body; 08-18-2005 at 08:42 PM.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.