Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - omni epoxy coat problems?
View Single Post
Old 03-18-2012, 08:45 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by inkfreak1976
i sprayed omni epoxy coat as a sealer on advise of my jobber paint supply, I think it was the gun that i was useing god i hope so cause after i was done it went in the trash. seeing that i had no problems with my finish line guns doing the same thing nice even wet coats no tiger striping.
it mixed 1;1;10% 1 part epoxy, 1 part hardner, and a little over 10% urithane reducer.
problem is when the compressor was at full pressure it sprayed great inlet pressure at about 45-50 lbs with a 1.4 tip, trigger turned all the way in then backed out 4-5 turns test spray and fan was perfect, after i started spraying it started to come out a little dry like 30 sec after i was spraying. to compensate i put in a splash more reducerr mixed and cleaned gun and reset gun = perfect spray.
30 sec after starting again same thing. i did wait the 15 min induction period. so figureing that that was the best i was gonna get i sprayed 3 very slow moveing oats trying to get it as wet as possible.
i let it dry and plan on spraying base clear tommarow, about 3 hours later after spraying i checked out my work and litely tested the finish. there was a powder like resadue comeing off on to my hand.
my question is what do i do now do i just clean with wax and grease remover and spray base clear, or do i scuff then clean. then paint any help would be great ive just never seen this before.
Many epoxy primers have an induction time. This is the time the two products need to set while the chemicals (epoxy and catalyst) needs to set in order to mix properly. Omni and Shopline are the same product labeled different. I think platinum PPG distributors sell Shopline and if they are not a platinum they sell Omni. That is what I have been told anyway. However, I would allow the Omni epoxy set for 15 to 20 minutes before using.

The mixing ratio is 2:1 (2 parts epoxy 1 part catalyst) I have added up to 10% acetone when using it as a sealer to help the epoxy flow out better.

1. Once mixed, allow it to set 15 - 20 minutes. (induction time)
2. Apply a medium wet coat (1 coat should work as a sealer, but you can apply up to 2 coats. If you do, allow 15 to 20 minutes between coats.)
3. Allow the epoxy to dry at least 30 minutes, but no longer than 72 hours (3 days) before applying base coat. If you wait longer than 72 hours, the surface must be lightly scuffed before applying base coat.

I would not apply more than 2 coats. Applying too much may not allow the solvents to escape properly, which could lead to problems.

If using as a sealer, I would use a 1.4 spray gun using around 20 to 25 psi at the gun. This may vary depending on the gun you are using. If it is not a HVLP, it is going to require more 45 to 50 psi at the gun.

Here are two videos about mixing and spraying epoxy primer. It is not being used as a sealer in this video, but goes through the mixing steps.

I hope this helps and good luck with your project.

Mixing Epoxy

Spraying Epoxy

If you are looking for additional auto body and paint training, then check out what I have available for you. http://***************/AutoBodyGuides

Last edited by poncho62; 03-21-2012 at 06:21 PM. Reason: Advertising. Please see: commercial posting guidelines.