Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - omni epoxy coat problems?
View Single Post
Old 03-18-2012, 12:55 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie Smith
Many epoxy primers have an induction time. This is the time the two products need to set while the chemicals (epoxy and catalyst) needs to set in order to mix properly. Omni and Shopline are the same product labeled different. I think platinum PPG distributors sell Shopline and if they are not a platinum they sell Omni. That is what I have been told anyway. However, I would allow the Omni epoxy set for 15 to 20 minutes before using.

The mixing ratio is 2:1 (2 parts epoxy 1 part catalyst) I have added up to 10% acetone when using it as a sealer to help the epoxy flow out better.

1. Once mixed, allow it to set 15 - 20 minutes. (induction time)
2. Apply a medium wet coat (1 coat should work as a sealer, but you can apply up to 2 coats. If you do, allow 15 to 20 minutes between coats.)
3. Allow the epoxy to dry at least 30 minutes, but no longer than 72 hours (3 days) before applying base coat. If you wait longer than 72 hours, the surface must be lightly scuffed before applying base coat.

I would not apply more than 2 coats. Applying too much may not allow the solvents to escape properly, which could lead to problems.

If using as a sealer, I would use a 1.4 spray gun using around 20 to 25 psi at the gun. This may vary depending on the gun you are using. If it is not a HVLP, it is going to require more 45 to 50 psi at the gun.

Here are two videos about mixing and spraying epoxy primer. It is not being used as a sealer in this video, but goes through the mixing steps.

I hope this helps and good luck with your project.

Mixing Epoxy

Spraying Epoxy

If you are looking for additional auto body and paint training, then check out what I have available for you. http://www.CollisionBlast.com/AutoBodyGuides
hello donny i did everything that the tech sheet required, waited the induction time, and mixed it correctly. i had spoken to a tech at the manufacterer at ppg, the tech said that the tech sheet should have been changed for the amount of reducer, to spray it as a sealer. he recomended up to 50 % reducer, depending on what gun and the way the individual sprays.
i also was useing a gun that i was not used to spraying with, because i didnt want to run epoxy threw my base clear gun, and my primer gun only has a 1.8 tip so i got a cheep gun with a 1.4 to do rhis with.
i sprayed base and clear yesterday and base came out really nice and the clear came out i bit orange pealed. but there was no reducer added to the clear. wich seemed odd to me because every other clear coat that i ever sprayed had reducer added to it. the tech sheets on omni products are highly in accurate and do not give the proper info to make the product useable to everyone. ive sprayed many paints and dont remember any line of products being this diffacult to work with.