omni using less reducer - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2009, 08:17 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

omni using less reducer

hello I'm new to the sight, but have learned allot in a short period of time. At a local jobber I was told a body shop worker told them they use a 1:1/2 mix instead of 1:1 mix for the omni base, because its so thin and get good results. I'm wondering what's anyones thoughts on this, is it good, bad and why. thanks for any help.

Advertisement

Last edited by Spaniard; 04-10-2009 at 08:24 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2009, 08:37 PM

Last photo:

yeah, omni you can spray with less reducer but you might have more of a texture, the reducer helps everything flow togeather, but at the same time it makes it more easy to run, but i would highly sugest useing the optional hardener with omni, this is assuming that you are useing single stage paint, if its BC/CC then its diffrent, you should use the correct amount of reducer, but just use the correct temp reducer to help it flash off correctly
Old 04-10-2009, 10:09 PM

It is the MBC omni(bc/cc), I'm using medium reducer and will be painting it in a week or two. Around here its still somewhat cold average temp is 55 to 60. I will be reducing with the recommended 1:1 mixing ratio. This is my first paint job and just want the car to look good before I sell it, so I can use the money to start redoing my camaro that has been sitting 10yrs in storage.
Old 04-11-2009, 05:11 AM

Last photo:

see if you can get the temps up to about 65 where your painting, when i paint they in the booth and such its about 70 deg but i still dont like to use the 70 deg reducer, i use a 80 deg reducer because you can spray and everything can flow togeather,

I would recomend spraying some test pannels, and some small items, to get the hang of it, remember if you run basecoat you have to wetsand the run and reapply the color
Old 04-11-2009, 10:24 AM
Problem Child,Hard Case

Last journal entry: Strangest job I've ever done
Last photo:

With the MBC base at 1:1,it will not cover well on the first coat and likely why that shop said to go 1/2 on the reducer.It's like Nason as deciding on a 1:1 or 2:1 which I "generally" split the difference and go 1.5:1 depending on the base's color as well as coctail the reducers for a better flash off.
This is common with Omni and as long as you apply enough coats,likely 3 for a "good" job and have your gun set up right,you should have no problem.
As low said, you need to get your "booth" temp up,otherwise,it will take longer for the base to flash off and if you keep hammering away with the base,you'll likely pop the clear from the excess solvent still left in the base.
Old 04-11-2009, 04:37 PM

Last photo:

well depending on the color of the paint and the color of the primer under how well it will cover, PPG makes a new deltron primer, ranging from G1 to G7 - G7 being the darkest it makes it very easy to hide

so depending on the color and the primer how well it will hide, but hey add the reducer, your paint will go further once you get "to hiding"
Old 04-11-2009, 06:16 PM

thanks for the info I'll wait till it gets around 65 till I paint. I have a spare door that I was going to use to practice on spraying and setting up my guns. I have the 2 purple guns one for primer and the other for base, and a iwata lph400 for clear.
Old 04-11-2009, 06:31 PM

Last journal entry: More photos
Last photo:

Gun Usage Tip

The following is just my opinion, I would not use any other gun than the lph 400 if you already have one. That gun will cover the same area on with 30% less material usage as a cheap gun. Just cut the fluid back and spray lightly. I agree that you can get away with using less reducer in omini, but, be sure to allow a little more flash time as stated earlier. Do not use a reducer faster than medium as it may cause base to "skin" and trap solvents. Many guys may disagree, but if the color is metallic I reduce per instructions and lay light coats. Blotches and Mottling suck. because unless it dries out completely it is very hard to cover once too dark. Good luck
Old 04-11-2009, 06:39 PM
Problem Child,Hard Case

Last journal entry: Strangest job I've ever done
Last photo:

Wellllllllllll.....
Using the Purple hvlp gun is going to have a ton of o'spray.
I would wait till the base flashs off good enough to "touch" and tack it off between coats.You'll SEE if you use one.
IMO. I would get an LVX air cap for the 400 and use it period.
This way you get MORE base ON the panel and either use it or the LV,Silver cap for the clear. Base it one day and clear it the next day in the am. With the cooler temps,this should be no problem and the "stress" level will be lower.
Besides spotting nibs and such before clearing and dealing with them.
Old 04-11-2009, 07:09 PM
point on positive

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee4Me
the "stress" level will be lower.
Besides spotting nibs and such before clearing and dealing with them.

+1 on the no stress part..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAvxSVN6G78
Old 04-12-2009, 12:02 PM

Last journal entry: Grille
Last photo:

I put more reducer in to make it flow out better. Their bases don't cover as well but you can put down another coat or two and that will fix coverage issues. Just allow extra flash time between coats.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.