Once and for all, Nason paint - yes or no. - Page 4 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

View Poll Results: Would you use Nason instead of PPG, Dupont, etc. on your nice daily driver?
Yes, I would use Nason. 59 68.60%
No, I would not use Nason, I would save my pennies for the high end stuff.. 27 31.40%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-04-2006, 09:36 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Since this old post was revived, I am wondering if anyone has changed their opinions any and still have the vehicles that were painted a few years later with some of the lower cost brands. I know Jim may feel differently about the kirker he posted in the first page in this thread.
I have used only nason clear, no nason color. Nason clear does seem to lay out and look pretty nice the times I've used it if you use slow enough reducer activator if not using 497 on a bigger area. The 496 and normal activator is just too fast for anything but a small panel, found that out on a bike frame. I seen one with limco base/marhyde clear not too long ago, almost 3 years done, and still good, but not enough time to judge imo. Still have one of my beaters I painted omni ss urethane over 5 years/outside everyday, and the paint has held up surprisingly well too still nice gloss, except my quick and dirty rust repairs back through in many spots. Not bad for a $100 paint. Just been sitting with too much wrong to bother fixing, so using a cheap paint was probably a good call for what it was going to be used on. So far like utech of the lower lines of base I've sprayed, but only used once. It covered really well at least in the colors I used. I heard to expect about 5 years out of lower lines, and double for the better lines. Wondering if anyone is seeing anything. Kevin, you still have that one painted with montana? I don't expect a lower line to match, as they are not known for, but have gotten away with blending them on two jobs. I know there is going to be people who say you should only use the most expensive paint, but believe there is some situations where its smart to use a lower line. Yeah they take more coats to cover normally also, but it would take 3 times as much color to come equal to a higher line if you don't factor in the extra time required to work with them.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2006, 11:12 PM
32chevy vett

Last photo:

Nason paint YES

I painted a model T with nason black.I was told by the dealer at the time it was a 2 to3 year paint .It has been over 10 years now .All i do is drive it and wash the mud off when it needs it .I may have waxed it 3 times in the 10 years .The red pin stripe is faded over the years but the black nason is still very good.Give me a few days.I will post some photos of the car on my site so you can see for self.
Old 11-04-2006, 11:43 PM
32chevy vett

Last photo:

Nason paint YES

I almost forgot the VW bug on my site is painted with nason that is a 5 year old paint job.
Old 11-05-2006, 07:38 AM
SPI Thug

Last journal entry: some progress
Last photo:

one thing i have found in the 35 years of painting is it only takes one failure to take away any savings in cost. we tried some cheaper products in the van production shop. when doing 10 a day it can all add up fast. one failure = 10 redo's. i use matrix colors and do not consider them 2nd line. so far so good. omni cost me a repaint in black last year so that will be my last 2nd line job. the savings just are not worth the risk to me. we tried nason for the vans and were not too happy. we had reps dropping off cases of clear weekly trying to get our bez. most failed on test panels. we stopped chancing it on the vans. if it's a beater drive it ugly like mine if it's your hotrod spend the few extra bucks for quality products.
Old 11-05-2006, 08:42 PM

Last photo:

What exactly did you not like about it?
Old 11-06-2006, 05:24 AM
SPI Thug

Last photo:

to be fair this was the late 70's early 80's. we only did 2 coats of clear, no buffing. we found most of the 2nd line clears would dye back on us as did ppg then. we were using dupont mostly and the cost was killing us. the nason clear was one that would look good when shot but the dye back in a few weeks. of course we did not have the best of painters then either but we tried just about all of them. i just shot the vette with spi uv clear. for the price i don't think you can get close with any other clear.
i just don't think saving a few bucks is worth the risk. it all depends on what you are painting and what you expect from it. i know guys who swear by omni but i have tried it and had a failure. it's a tuff call . comes down to what your comfortable with i guess. i use matrix colors and spi primers and clear now.
Old 11-06-2006, 12:26 PM
Problem Child,Hard Case

Last journal entry: Strangest job I've ever done
Last photo:

IMO it's still a value line product. Period.
You get what you pay for, I use their solid colors but stay away from the metallics as they just won't spray out well compaired to the preimum lines.
The Select Clears are some good products for the money.
I have several custom jobs getting beat on currently and they still look good.
"If" your having fade issues with a color,it usually goes back to the clear over it anyway. Poor UV protection=fade reguardless of what paint your using.
Still,
Value line products. I use them for customers who want a nice job but ain't got the cash. Will it last as long? With better clears out now,they just might fool us,who knows. I just have too much trouble shooting it and the flash time somedays will just ya!!!
Old 11-06-2006, 05:00 PM
Paintshop Dog

Last photo:

Yep! "YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR!"

Most any car around with Nason on it for a while, looks like it! Except in situations where the car has been babied. So, your probably going to baby yours too, but. After all the time it takes to do a paint job(right), is it not really worth being sure!! The difference between "good" paint and "cheap" paint, is the standards and quality of materials used to make the products. For example some folks are OK with cheap brake pads, squealing, excessive dust, and premature wear don't matter. But, some of us like to know we used the good stuff! It's really all a matter of opinion, and we've all got slightly different ones.
Old 11-06-2006, 07:48 PM

'You get what you pay for "Is about the stupidest saying I have ever heard.If this was true no one would have ever gotten screwed now would they?
Old 11-06-2006, 09:33 PM
32chevy vett

Last photo:

Nason paint.

I posted some photos of my T on my site this car has drove on drit roads in ME.N.H. Vt.and Mass.some 4WD roads it is not babied.It is used and abused.It is 10 years old it has never been buffed and only waxed 3 times. The V.W. is 5 years old I did buff it out this summer.Both cars are garaged.My wife took a 1st at a V.W.show after i buffed it out.
Old 11-06-2006, 11:20 PM
KING OF BONDO

Last journal entry: My little helper
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoddy_f-body
I've sprayed plenty of it.Cant beat it for the price. Heres a Lightning i shot with Nason BC/CC.

More pics of it here- http://s12.photobucket.com/albums/a2...er%20Projects/
Shoddy what is all over it?? Is that some type of flake??
Old 11-07-2006, 05:07 AM
SPI Thug

Last photo:

" you get what you pay for" is exactly right. cheaper line paints are cheaper paints . period. they have their place in body shops and such. i care a little too much about my cars to cut corners. someone asked for an opinion on nason paint. those of us who actually paint cars tried to do just that. we're not saying anyone is right or wrong. we don't call each other stupid because we have different opinions. any paint can be applied and made to look good but when doing it for a living you have warranty to consider. one failure can eat up a lot of profits. is 100 dollars really worth the risk ? these paints were actually made to use for fleet service .
Old 11-07-2006, 06:23 PM

Last photo:

Its House of Kolor Ice Pearl mixed in the clear.
Old 11-07-2006, 07:18 PM
Paintshop Dog

Last photo:

That truck looks too nice, to be cutting corners and pinching pennies on the product you use! Hope it lasts worth a **** for you (or your customer).
Old 11-07-2006, 08:19 PM

Last photo:

Call it pinching pennies if you want but the truck looks better now than it did and it would still look like it did before, if there weren't lower cost alternatives because there was no way the owner could drop the coin for top dollar stuff.

Last edited by shoddy_f-body; 11-07-2006 at 08:25 PM.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.