Once and for all, Nason paint - yes or no. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

View Poll Results: Would you use Nason instead of PPG, Dupont, etc. on your nice daily driver?
Yes, I would use Nason. 59 68.60%
No, I would not use Nason, I would save my pennies for the high end stuff.. 27 31.40%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2004, 09:20 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto...
Last journal entry: How to change auto shift timing on 200R4
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 21

Once and for all, Nason paint - yes or no.

OK, from all that I have read on this board over the past 2 1/2 years, Nason seems to get the best reviews of all the second line paint brands. I have always sprayed top-of-the-line paints, usually PPG and of course have always had super results. However, I am choking at the prospect of paying upwards of $1,000 for materials to paint a car so am willing to step down a notch. Please take the poll and give an honest opinion whether it would be a good idea to paint a non-show car with base/clear catalyzed Nason instead of the big guys.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2004, 03:42 PM
adtkart@aol.com

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I used Nason on my son's pick-up about 1 1/2 years ago. I figured with his record of wrecking everything that he drives, I would save some money for fixing it again. We were rebuilding a wreck, with new fenders, and a repaired hood, so I blended the doors. There is no visible difference in the color or shine in the paint.

I even followed the directions and got a good finish!

Yours will probably come out better. I painted in an open garage, with no booth of any kind. The only ventilation that I had was a box fan with a filter in the rear window and filter in the side window. I didn't even wet down the floor. I did sweep the area right around the truck, but that is it. Not the safest or preferred way, but it worked for me.

Last edited by adtkart; 01-17-2004 at 03:50 PM.
Old 01-18-2004, 06:04 AM

Last journal entry: 2 years later
Last photo:

I used it and loved it, the only run i had was when i painted the door posts vertically then went across the side horizontally,I got a run where they overlapped,that was my fault, the paint is great.mike
Old 01-18-2004, 06:41 AM
Just a firefighter

Last wiki edit: How to title a hot rod
Last journal entry: New rear rollpan installed
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

I'm using it now

Willys, I'm using Nason on my '46 Panel right now. I'm using single stage urethane but what I've done so far has come out great. A friend on mine with a '57 Chevy used it on his car also and puts it in local shows and has done quite well. I'm a first time car painter and it has been very easy for me to get things right with Nason. It you go to my gallery you can see the firewall area that I've done on my truck. I only had one run in it and thats on the left side down almost in the trans tunnel so it will not show. Thats with three coats also.

David
Old 01-18-2004, 10:32 AM

the body shop i work at all we use is nason, same as dupont, and the rep will tell you the same, I painted a 69 chevelle, i used nason, and i painted it my garage, it took second at the autorama, best of show. so I love nason one of the easiest paints to work with.
Old 01-18-2004, 04:30 PM

Last photo:

hi;willy's
i used nason when it first came out it was a very good paint then and extremely easy to shoot
Old 01-19-2004, 01:01 PM
Have Gun, Will Paint

[color=orenge] I first used Nason on my brothers hunda cause he was on a budget, but I liked it so much I found myself using it more and more. Nason realy gives you more for your buck than any other paint out there. I have also switched from ppg to dupont chromabase. I think it's just as good yet easer on the pocked book. [/color]
Old 01-19-2004, 05:01 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto...
Last journal entry: How to change auto shift timing on 200R4
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 21

Good news. I called my paint supplier who deals in DuPont, PPG, Western, and Nason. In his opinion, the biggest drawback to Nason is color matching is not as easy as with the big name brands. Otherwise, he thinks it is as good as the biggies. And, his price to me is right at half!! I am 99% sure that is the way I will go. Thanks to those who gave me input.
Old 01-20-2004, 01:40 AM
Have Gun, Will Paint

Quote:
Originally posted by willys36@aol.com
Good news. I called my paint supplier who deals in DuPont, PPG, Western, and Nason. In his opinion, the biggest drawback to Nason is color matching is not as easy as with the big name brands. Otherwise, he thinks it is as good as the biggies. And, his price to me is right at half!! I am 99% sure that is the way I will go. Thanks to those who gave me input.
[color=green] I though so

Well let us know how it turns out K [/color]
Old 01-20-2004, 10:27 PM
Evil as I wanna Be

Last journal entry: First time out in 8 months!
Last photo:

Just for a little reassurance, here's my ex-car. We repainted it using Nason Bright Calypso Green paint.

That paint ended up costing about 66% less than the PPG we were originally slated to buy.
Old 01-21-2004, 12:43 AM
Have Gun, Will Paint

This pony was also done in nothing but Nasan!!

http://hotrodders.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=30911
Old 01-21-2004, 10:32 AM

I'm in the process of painting my truck using the single stage Nason. This is also my first paint job. I like the paint, but I'm having trouble with the metal movement, I can't get it to stop shifting. Other than that, I really like the color and price. Just have to get better at applying it, I guess. Any ideas or recommendations to help me get the spray to come out better and not shift?
Old 01-21-2004, 10:45 AM
Have Gun, Will Paint

Quote:
Originally posted by Screemincheetawheely
I'm in the process of painting my truck using the single stage Nason. This is also my first paint job. I like the paint, but I'm having trouble with the metal movement, I can't get it to stop shifting. Other than that, I really like the color and price. Just have to get better at applying it, I guess. Any ideas or recommendations to help me get the spray to come out better and not shift?

[color=orenge]You mean you are spraying a single stage metalic?[/color]
Old 01-21-2004, 11:06 AM

Yeah, Nason 400-48 or something like that, I don't remember.
Why?
Old 01-21-2004, 03:56 PM
Have Gun, Will Paint

Well it's been my experiance that metalics are better off in Base/Clear coat. They just seem to loose gloss after awile if done in single stage.

In any way I don't think the problem is with the paint. It's more like the application. I had similar prob.s The first time I sprayed metalics. You some times get bloshes and stuff like that no? I sugest using a 1.4 tip and at least 45psi (w/HVLP) You want that paint to be as atommised (sp?) as posible. What kind of gun and compressor are you useing?

You may want to do a search on "metalics" on this page I know there is alot of helpfull info.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.