One hell of a time with Balancer - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2006, 07:22 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

One hell of a time with Balancer

This balancer on my 427 BBC is giving me hell. It acts like it don't fit, pulled it off and see a grove that I can feel on the inside of my balancer where it was trying to go on. Whats the deal? surely there is not a larger size to buy???!!! Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks, John

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2006, 07:44 PM
russlaferrera

Last wiki edit: Threading tips
Wiki Edits: 2

balancer

How is the key way? Is the key to tall making the balancer too tight? Does it fit W/O the key? Try to narrow it down to the Key way or the outside dimensions of the crank or the inside dimensions of the balancer. I hope you checked for burrs.

Hope this helps Russ
Old 09-03-2006, 08:43 PM
SB S10

Last photo:

if its aftermarket it may need some sanding inside it
Old 09-03-2006, 10:31 PM

Last photo:

RUNN141 is correct. Virtually ALL of the aftermkt balancers are too small!! It is common to remove .001 + to get a proper fit.
Old 09-03-2006, 11:14 PM
You got a leaky spark tube...

Last wiki edit: Rearend removal
Last journal entry: General Lee
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 19

How are you trying to install it? Are you using an installation tool to press it on or just trying to slip it on by hand? The balancer should be a pressed on and will have an interference fit. Do not hone the hub to allow it to slide on by hand. Some cars do have slip on balancers but they are often held in place by much larger bolts and are torqued to as much as 130 ft lbs. The Chevy balancer is only retained by the press fit and a 7/16-20 bolt. You should obtain an installation tool if you don't already have one. Summit sells them under part number SUM-G1023 for $35.95, very reasonable. They work great. If there are no burrs, nicks or other damage to the crank snout or the inside of the balancer then lubricate the crank snout with a little bit of oil and press it on using the tool.

Apparently you can soak them in boiling water and install them as well...http://static.summitracing.com/globa...sum-161350.pdf

Good luck...
Old 09-03-2006, 11:27 PM

Thanks for the replys!

I'm going to get the tool. I've talked to a couple of folks and after reading these replys - seems I need the tool to press it on. There are all of the hill-billy ways of getting one on, but I understand now that you are supposed to press it on. Thanks again
Old 09-04-2006, 12:04 AM
NYOFP4RJ3CHRIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpjmw
I'm going to get the tool. I've talked to a couple of folks and after reading these replys - seems I need the tool to press it on. There are all of the hill-billy ways of getting one on, but I understand now that you are supposed to press it on. Thanks again
Before I took a chance and tried pressing on something that may have too much interference, I'd at least mic the old/new parts and compare.

I do know that if Bob offers an answer, it's real world (hands on) advice, not BS. I'm sure if you find any difference in size Bob (as well as many others on here) could give you a max interference measurement.

You might get that balancer on with that tool, but you may play he*l ever getting it off again with too tight a fit.

Only takes a minute to mic things and be sure........

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.