One hot 455, TOOO HOT - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-21-2001, 08:40 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Red face One hot 455, TOOO HOT

Fresh build so i hope its breakin related but here goes
455 60 over alum e-heads runs to 220 and at about 195 the rad starts puking a mixture of steam and fluid
Running a desert cooler that is 4 yrs old but had it serviced just before the build
NEW Kool flow hi vol water pump, belts hoses, flex fan, 16lb cap and 16" electric fan pushing from frnt, I tried 160,180 and 195 thermostats and veried they opened and shut porperly on the stove with the wifes candy therm (shes still pissed about that)and I added water wetter. At the suggestion of a fellow gear head i ran it a few times at idle with the petcock open and the water hose flowing into the rad. It stayed about 190. Its relatively cool in FL now so i wont be able to drive it in august at all. US Radiator claims the flow design of the desert cooler copper rads are within just a few degrees of the alum rads so IF that is true I cant see ploppin 600$ for the Becool that fits. ( I would have to sleep with the great Dane when the credit card bill came in)The generic fits are cheaper but they do not have both outlets on pass side as ponchos do. I am lost folks. Its like Christmas day and no bateries for the new toy. I can LOOK but i can't PLAY....I REALLY want to play...thanxx

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2001, 09:27 AM

overheating is not always related to radiator flow, there is probably another reason it is doing what you say,lean mixture,wrong plugs,bad head gasket, incorrect timing,restricted exhaust, bad wster pump, cracked head, cam timing off,wrong head gaskets, not enough octane. Especially if it heats up that fast and pukes out the radiator I would be looking around the combustion area,one thing is for sure you don't want to overheat those alum heads. keep looking
Old 11-21-2001, 06:42 PM

Thumbs up

that makes sense because it appeared after I changed intakes. the Victor wouldnt clear the hood so i put the torker back on till i could find a taller scoop. Thanxx to this msg board someone pointed me right to it. I will put things back the way they were and start over. I can keep the hood off till the scoop gets here next week. I appreciate the help and will post the results.
Remeber...a bad day at the track still beats a good day at work...unless you work at the track?

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.