One less Advance Auto Parts store - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2006, 01:39 PM
Just a firefighter

Last wiki edit: How to title a hot rod
Last journal entry: New rear rollpan installed
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

One less Advance Auto Parts store

This morning up in Waco, Advance Auto Parts lost a store to a fire. A pretty bad one too, the roof and floor are now at the level. Two firefighters hurt but nothing to serious,thank god. Customers and employees got out safely.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2006, 02:10 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

With luck maybe Autozone, or Pep Boys will open up in its place.
Advance Auto sucks compared to the others.
When Trak Auto closed and Advance opened I was hoping for a big improvement based on their advertising saying how great their customer service is, etc...
Unfortunately most of the lame employees continue to work there.
Poor customer service, half empty shelves, oddball brands of merchandise, is the norm here just like Trak Auto.
There aren't any Carquest or Napa stores close by.
I can think of only one of each nearby compared to 4 or 5 Advance.
What are they "advanced" in by the way?

Last edited by scrot; 04-16-2006 at 07:53 PM.
Old 04-14-2006, 02:35 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

Peb Boys, Advance Auto and Autozone are 3 places I try to stay away from, I buy pre fabb'd exhaust peices from Advanced auto but nothing from behind the counter unless there all that is open. I go to Napa and carquest for that stuff. I also get oil filters for my '51 Chevy there, because there the only place that sells the soft case canister filters ( purolator is the only brand with them ) that will fit in my canister, the metal canister filters ( even the X refrence to the correct purolator number to my car ( p20051 ) dosn't fit, exzact same dimensions but there hard cased, from both Napa and Carquest )
Old 04-16-2006, 01:30 PM
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.

Last photo:

I my experience a lot of the NAPA and CQ stuff is the exact same parts as AZ, Advance just reboxed for their label.

In this new millenium, just plan on getting a couple bad ones for every good part you get. That is just the way it is.

Bad employees. That is all there is for $ 7 hr....
Who will pay me $ 36.80 hr plus full benefits to work there? I think I will keep my day job.
Old 04-16-2006, 01:47 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,119 Times in 995 Posts
I don't know about the differences, I KNOW that NAPA high end stuff are big name brands like RayBestos, Exide, Sherwin Williams, Bendix, Borg Warner, Monroe, Valvolene, etc. With NAPA names on them "United", NAPA Battery, Martin-Senour, Eclin, NAPA Shock, NAPA Oil, etc.

I do know that each store is as different as they come. I used to visit 77 NAPA stores as a rep. Many had SUPER qualified counter people who knew a LOT and could find anything you ever wanted, if they didn't have it, they would find it for you. Then there were others with a bunch of dorks who were paid next to nothing that rotated and you hardly ever saw the same guys on two different visits. So you just can't say "XXX" brand store is bad or good. Even some of the PepBoys and the like can have a good person behind the counter.

Now, by the "ODDS" the PepBoys, Autozone and the like (McAutoparts stores) are going to be a place to get "Air fresheners and seat covers". And by the "ODDS" a NAPA (a huge majority, about 6500 of them, are privately owned buy guys just like you and me) and will have a pretty qualified work force and well stocked.

Some pay pretty good, people feed their families working at many NAPAs.

I worked at one for about a year. One of the best working experiances of my life. I had a BALL as a counterman at a parts store. All you do is help people, and there are very few "tire kickers". If you have it in stock, they buy it, period. I predict I will be doing it again some day, I really enjoyed it.

Brian

Last edited by MARTINSR; 04-16-2006 at 02:27 PM.
Old 04-16-2006, 02:10 PM

Last photo:

Like X said, Ya ain't gonna find anybody that gives a damn for $7 an hour, a part time schedule and half-arsed benefits. Most gas stations pay more and it doesn't matter if you're dumb as a sack of rocks.

I consider myself lucky to have been paid $11 and hour and it still wasn't enough at 40hrs a week. Not in 2006 anyway. Cookin' dirt is more fun and the pay's way better.

Larry
Old 04-16-2006, 02:31 PM
aka Duke of URL

Last wiki edit: Finding vacuum leaks Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrot from Rockville, MD

When Trak Auto closed and Advanced open I was hoping for a big improvement based on their advertising saying how great their customer service is, etc...

Unfortunately most of the lame employees continue to work there.

Poor customer service, half empty shelves, oddball brands of merchandise, is the norm here just like Trak Auto.
Damn if this isn't the truth...

Quote:
There aren't any Carquest or Napa stores close by.
You are aware of the large NAPA store in Gaithersburg behind SHEEHY FORD aren't you?
Old 04-16-2006, 02:44 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by xntrik
I my experience a lot of the NAPA and CQ stuff is the exact same parts as AZ, Advance just reboxed for their label.

In this new millenium, just plan on getting a couple bad ones for every good part you get. That is just the way it is.

Bad employees. That is all there is for $ 7 hr....
Who will pay me $ 36.80 hr plus full benefits to work there? I think I will keep my day job.
the people who work at my locle Napa and Car quest, I know everybody in person. they are all knowlagble with old cars, and don't go crosseyed when u ask for a set of points for a 235 Chevy. 1 of the guys that works at my local napa is a faimly friend and is restoring a '46 Chevy. I'v had bad experiences at advance auto, went in looking for a pertonix kit for a 350, end up getting told to go to a junkyard and get an HEI distributor from a late 70's 350.
Old 04-16-2006, 08:00 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
You are aware of the large NAPA store in Gaithersburg behind SHEEHY FORD aren't you?
Name another NAPA near ROCKVILLE.

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.