This is one for the older Car guys! - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-15-2004, 10:12 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

This is one for the older Car guys!

I was talking with my dad today about how cars back in the 60's had so much horse power compare to the cars now. I mean a beaumont 4 door family car came stock with like 375 horse. Anyway, Back in the day he says at night there used to be street races all over the place from light to light or just draggin on the highway. He never admits to it even when he had his 63 vette or his 69 mach 1.(Liar) I guess back then when you wanted to race guys they would hook there backup lights as there back running lights to let other racers know that they were fair game and looking to race. He sayed it was a blast, they could put a few dollars in for gas and go crusin around all night. The movie dazed and confused started to come to mind.(Wicked movie) What are your guys favorite times in the 60's for goin out cruisin or racing.??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2004, 10:54 AM
Just havin' fun.....

Last journal entry: Hood installed
Last photo:

Well it was cruising in my '69 Mach 1 Mustang in the mid - late 70's. 10 1/2 - 1 compression and premium leaded fuel 0.75 or so a gallon, going to the drive - in with my girl friend (now wife of 20 years) and driving to high school then college above 100 mph. Now I get nervous pushing 75 mph.

Never got a ticket but the cops would follow me all over town, kinda loud, kinda lumpy cam and very wide B. F. Goodrich Radial T/A's and 10'" wide Crager SS mags.

Never should have sold that car.

Oh, the rated horsepower ratings in the 60's were gross horsepower expected under ideal conditions and not a true HP rating. The rating system change explains some of the drop in numbers.
Old 09-15-2004, 12:01 PM
Kenneth Howard hates me...

Last journal entry: Engine mock up
Last photo:

Street race....Whats that? Oh, we dont do that here at Hotrodders.com

It's like it never existed? I would love to hear some of the old timers stories (you know there are some that just need to be shared) But the thread would get crushed by "management".

C
Old 09-15-2004, 05:26 PM

Last journal entry: JB's 37 Pickup
Last photo:

Lets, look at some things in the 60s that made driving fun. Straight pipes were king and NOISY during acceleration and deceleration (lots of popping and cracking with a vacuum line disconnected) and cruising was just a little dull pain. !04 octane leaded gasoline that was cheap, high compression motors, most hooked to 3 and 4 speed manual trannys and more 4:11 gears than you could shake a stick at. No power steering or brakes, no air conditioning, and no pollution controls to retard the timing: nothing to rob horse power. Now put on Rayon corded biased tires and you had the recipe for the most attention grabbing squalling peel outs and any speed around a turn sounded like the biggest skid known. Almost ever car sounded like it was the hottest thing on 4 wheels. That is why I call todays rods "sneaky quick" because the Flow Masters are relatively quiet and those radial tires are almost silent in comparison. The sounds of speed is not there, relatively speaking but the performance is even better today, in my opinion.

Tree
Old 09-15-2004, 06:51 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

Take it from an "old guy'.....................Our stories get better everytime we tell them.

Seriously, I loved the days in my 64 SS Impala ragtop or my 70 LS6 Chevelle...............Probably the best years of my life, car wise.

But I also love the cars I have now, and for some strange reason, I don't need all the horsepower any more. I would be cool once in a while, but don't really miss it.............
Old 09-15-2004, 06:53 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally posted by fat50
Street race....Whats that? Oh, we dont do that here at Hotrodders.com

It's like it never existed? I would love to hear some of the old timers stories (you know there are some that just need to be shared) But the thread would get crushed by "management".

C
Admitting on a public forum that you broke the law is never a good idea...is it.
Old 09-15-2004, 06:57 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally posted by 4 Jaw Chuck
Admitting on a public forum that you broke the law is never a good idea...is it.
Yeah, but back then, the cops just kicked you in the *** and sent you home........................wasn't as big a deal as it is now.
Old 09-15-2004, 07:04 PM
im on a highway to hell

Last journal entry: new wheels and seats
Last photo:

weel i,m not that old (so i'm told) but around 1980 we used to hook up our backup lights to. not specificly to race but as a kid thing although sometimes that did happen.

my first car was a 71 charger, i put n-50-15s on the back with air shocks all the way up (no tubs) and remember cruising down revere beach i felt like i was floating on air (it was the altitude from the air shocks) it was awsome having everyone checking out the car, i'll never forget that feeling as long as i live and its why i still love cars today.
Old 09-15-2004, 07:21 PM

Crusin

Man I wish sometimes those days were still here. I had several cars but really liked my 70 Mach I. Go to the Drive in for $4.00 I remember the movies- Gone in 60 seconds, Cannon Ball Run, Smokey & the Bandit. don't remember what year Hollywood Knights came in and American Grafitti. I do remember if you had $20.00 for a night you were rich. $30.00 and you and your high school sweetheart could go to the NHRA races. And park your car and sit on the hood or pull the old blanket on the ground and watch them. And then the new generation came into it with the Vega's running 350's.
Just think of the cars we used to wheel & deal with our buddies that are worth a fortune now. I had Mach I's, 396 Chevelle, 67 GTO, AMX Javelin and I bet we never sold one for more than $800 bucks. Had at that time a ugly green superbird. Traded it for a Harley. That ugly green sure looks good nowadays.---
Old 09-15-2004, 07:25 PM

Last photo:

American Grafitti...........1973

Hollywood Knights.........1980

I remember the 1st time that it costed me $10 to fill up my Chevelle with Sunoco 260..............I was pi$$ed right off.
Old 09-15-2004, 07:28 PM
im on a highway to hell

Last journal entry: new wheels and seats
Last photo:

just try to imagine a 40 foot high movie screen playing XXX movies for all the world to see you could watch them while driving down the main road,now that was a drivin tripple feature boy how times have changed
Old 09-15-2004, 08:02 PM
current hot rod: CTS-V

Last journal entry: Lets Get Started With the Improvements
Last photo:

To bad old street racing stories are frowed upon, my dad did it constantly for about 3 years, he's told me some good ones. I know most of you older guys have them too.
Old 09-15-2004, 08:28 PM
Left Nut, Right Nut....Squish!

Last photo:

Quote:
just try to imagine a 40 foot high movie screen playing XXX movies for all the world to see you could watch them while driving down the main road,now that was a drivin tripple feature boy how times have changed
The Drive-In RULES It's The Best!!! I won't go to a regular theater too many noisey people, sticky floors and hassles. Theres one in Visalia about 7 miles from here I used to go all the time and Sneak buddys in thru my trunk (a 93 corsica had pull down backseat to access trunk...now sold). At the drive-in you really never have to leave your car if you don't want to, come prepared lawn chairs, sodas, ciggarettes if you smoke. The huge screen is cool like triple the size of a regular indoor. Being able to tune the radio to the movies channel on the cars stereo really kicks butt crank it up I ran into a Pole there once in the dark dang speaker poles cant see them over the fender in the dark lol ... Hope they never tear that place down its pretty old and it RULES.

OH yea Not to mention you get 2, yes TWO! Movies for The price of 1. New Movies, Not old ones. Another reason drive in rules. 5 bucks huge screen 2 cool movies and being in the comfort of your own zone no obnoxious stranger right next to you if there is you just park your car elsewhere lol.

Drive-In's

Abe
Old 09-15-2004, 08:35 PM

Last photo:

Yeah and if you fart, nobody whines.

Larry
Old 09-15-2004, 08:40 PM
Left Nut, Right Nut....Squish!

Last photo:

Besides the Person next to or behind you hahahaha. TearGas!!!!! If ya got Power Windows, car off-windows up. Your the only one that can't smell it=pure joy........Face the wrath of my methane lol.

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.