Hot Rod Forum banner

one side is1.75" lower than the other side.

2K views 15 replies 5 participants last post by  poncho62 
#1 ·
I installed 2" lower springs in the front of my '66 impala. Now one side is 1.75" higher than the other side. What should i do? Heat up the taller spring some? Put a spacer in the lower side? Do they make something that will pull a couple of the spring coils closer together?

Thanks

#2 ·
You got a set of defective or mismatched springs. Were they new and if so who did you get them from? What brand are they?

Pull the springs and send them back, don't heat one side because it will never be perfectly level that way. Also, I heated some springs to drop my car once and it sucks. Every time I hit a bump I could hear the coils rubbing each other because of the way it compressed them.

Good luck!!!!

#3 ·
They were new. Not sure of the brand name. They are too much of a pain in the *** to take back out. A local auto parts store has a kit to level out coil springs. He saia that it concists of 2 "u" bolts that bring a couple of the coils together. I'm going to try that before i do anything else. What do you think?

#5 ·
brian400ex said:
They were new. Not sure of the brand name. They are too much of a pain in the *** to take back out. A local auto parts store has a kit to level out coil springs. He saia that it concists of 2 "u" bolts that bring a couple of the coils together. I'm going to try that before i do anything else. What do you think?

Why would you jerry rig your ride for a few hours worth of work????

I mean, those ubolts are going to give you a screwed up ride because one side will be much stiffer than the other side. Don't forget, springs get stiffer as the compress so if you have one side compressed down and the other side normal it is going to be a knarly ride.

Do it right, make sure you have the springs installed correctly, if so, make sure you have the same size tires on your car. If all that checks out, try measuring from a different spot on your car. For instance, if you are measuring off the bumper and the bumper isn't just level you will get a bad reading.

If all checks out than get the springs back to where you bought them. It sounds like you got one stock spring and one drop spring. That would do exactly what you are describing because the 2" drop springs usually don't drop a full 2" inches it would be about 1.75, exactly what you are experiencing.

#7 ·
As far as we could tell they were in the perch all the way. The coil springs were the same heighth. They were shorter than the stock springs. How would i be able to tell if they are in the pocket right? The bottom is for sure, but the top is hard to see. This was done last summer and over the winter i had it up on jack stands with the weight of the car on the taller spring and the weight off of the short spring, but it didn't make a difference.

Later

#9 ·
Why did you say in the original post that you should heat up the taller spring to get it to level out, but then you say you measured them and they are the same length. If you measured them before they were installed and they were the same length, you obviously have a problem with something else. You need to check both ends of the springs and find the problem.
If the springs were the same length, were they a different diameter on the coils? If not, you need to check over everything because the problem started after the swap.
DON'T go screwing with the springs with a cutter or torch. You will cause chaos with your ride and it will be a nightmare...

Good luck... Rick

#11 ·
I called the company that made my springs. J&M Enterprises and he had me check a couple things and he thinks its the springs. He is sending me out a new set to try. This was a class act by this company. Someone actually backing up their work. I will let you guys know how it turns out. Thanks for the help.

Later

#12 ·
brian400ex said:
I called the company that made my springs. J&M Enterprises and he had me check a couple things and he thinks its the springs. He is sending me out a new set to try. This was a class act by this company. Someone actually backing up their work. I will let you guys know how it turns out. Thanks for the help.

Later

I knew it was the springs....you got one stock length and one drop spring, I know it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.