One step back and one step forward - Page 4 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-24-2009, 11:33 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

thats a good one brim, also ,I have two carbide cutters for wallowing (?) out holes one is a straight barrel thats 3/8 "wide with a 1/4" shaft the other is a taperd one ...if I was at the shop I'd get a pic of it. already posted one...the previous pic of some grinders on my table ...it's the third one from the right.but basicly the thing to remember is : where theres a will ...theres a way,so if you think something might work for fixing a unique problem...try it ...you just might come up with something new...some of us simply dont think like the others...whether thats good or bad is up to you,but it is the truth.the point is ...if you dont know something is impossible ,you just might do it.... so never stop thinking for yourself and trying new things,keep an open mind..

Advertisement

Last edited by deadbodyman; 08-24-2009 at 11:45 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2009, 09:09 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wntAnn4EowM

Here's a youtube video that I thought was pretty helpful. He's tig welding but the rest is reasonably relevant even if one is mig welding. This is how I've been grinding down 80% of a bead, with a thin cutting wheel on a 4.5 in angle grinder or pneumatic cutoff tool, then use a roloc disc on anangle die grinder to finish it off. If you get enough shrinkage of your weld so that it buckles inward, you have to use a hammer and dolly to push it out a bit first. Otherwise you cutoff wheel hits metal you don't want to hit.
Old 08-25-2009, 06:21 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lhorn
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wntAnn4EowM

Here's a youtube video that I thought was pretty helpful. He's tig welding but the rest is reasonably relevant even if one is mig welding. This is how I've been grinding down 80% of a bead, with a thin cutting wheel on a 4.5 in angle grinder or pneumatic cutoff tool, then use a roloc disc on anangle die grinder to finish it off. If you get enough shrinkage of your weld so that it buckles inward, you have to use a hammer and dolly to push it out a bit first. Otherwise you cutoff wheel hits metal you don't want to hit.

There's alot of metalworking stuff on YouTube. I found a short series by John Kelly that has quite a bit of techique footage. The internet is a great tool. It beats the hell out of driving all the way to Georgia to see deadbodyman or to Texas to see shine. Of course if I ever get my car in paint I think I'll be wanting to make that drive to thank these guys.

Getting some tools in the mail tomorrow. It should be a real hoot watching myself try to figure out how to use them.
Old 08-25-2009, 11:43 PM

I have an old kodac digital camera that takes vids...I joined "streetfire .net" at my boys request so he could see progress on his 48 ply. why dont you guys do the same? then we can really give you guys some techniques tips.I got the same user name over there....kinda like a custom made how to vidio made just for you...we can watch you work and help with your technique also .......I just hope you guys lke I.C.P. and Chillie peppers LOL..
Old 08-26-2009, 11:43 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbodyman
I have an old kodac digital camera that takes vids...I joined "streetfire .net" at my boys request so he could see progress on his 48 ply. why dont you guys do the same? then we can really give you guys some techniques tips.I got the same user name over there....kinda like a custom made how to vidio made just for you...we can watch you work and help with your technique also .......I just hope you guys lke I.C.P. and Chillie peppers LOL..
Great idea............I'm in! BTW it was a real hoot watching me trying to figure out to use my new metal bumping tools.
David
Old 08-27-2009, 05:36 AM

being able to laugh at yourself is very important.we cut up all day long at my shop just last week I screwed up the clear ratio (I forgot it) we had a good laugh the guys got me all day long....asking me if I'd like them to do my mixing from now on......calling me Al...(short for alzazimers) and then there was the time we sprayed fart spray in the booth intakes and watched the painter lift his feet ,checking the bottoms of his shoes,smelling his arm pits oh boy that one had us ALL on the floor ....and after the painter came running out of the booth (we may have over did it ,half a can)and saw us rolling on the floor laughing he got madder and matter ...I wish I had a vidio of that ,you guys would be rollin too...dont take life so seriously....enjoy life like its a hobbie...I've been on the serious side of life and this ways much better...I no longer want to kill anybody and nobody wants to kill me as soon as you guys get to my profile it will start showing my collection of hotrod art in the upper right hand corner it takes a minute to boot up but take a minute to watch.and if you'd like to add to it ...let me know its a work in progress

Last edited by deadbodyman; 08-27-2009 at 05:44 AM.
Old 08-27-2009, 07:51 PM

Last photo:

You can imagine what it looks like when an electrician gets a body hammer, slapping file, and some dollies in his hands. Metal does move and a little bit at a time seems to be the method. I did wind up with a high spot in the rear upper part of the quarter panel. Also have an oil can working in that same area. Was thinking that a shrinking disc might be a good gadget to have. Seems more convenient than the heat wrench. I'm reading that the high spots need a bit of shrink. I like the idea of using Skype in the shop. It would allow me to be in your shop real time and you to watch real time what I'm doing. All it takes it a laptop or PC with a camera and an internet connection.
David
Old 08-28-2009, 12:02 AM

Last photo:

So back to the origin of this thread. The area that I mangled, which is the door handle hole, is not easliy accessible and I'm having trouble getting in there to tap it out. I really can't see cutting out the door jamb or inner door structure to get to it. Any suggestions anyone? Thinking about looking for another door or maybe skinning it. Kinda letting it lay while I work on the other areas...........hoping a solution will pop up.
David
Old 08-28-2009, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddarnell
You can imagine what it looks like when an electrician gets a body hammer, slapping file, and some dollies in his hands. Metal does move and a little bit at a time seems to be the method. I did wind up with a high spot in the rear upper part of the quarter panel. Also have an oil can working in that same area. Was thinking that a shrinking disc might be a good gadget to have. Seems more convenient than the heat wrench. I'm reading that the high spots need a bit of shrink. I like the idea of using Skype in the shop. It would allow me to be in your shop real time and you to watch real time what I'm doing. All it takes it a laptop or PC with a camera and an internet connection.
David
well it sounds ez dont it? thats why I hate to see guys buying expencive metal working tools. I have skipe but still dont how to use it. I make vids and post them at streetfire.net it takes longer and isnt as good as skipes but its ez for a dumb a ss like me
Old 08-28-2009, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddarnell
So back to the origin of this thread. The area that I mangled, which is the door handle hole, is not easliy accessible and I'm having trouble getting in there to tap it out. I really can't see cutting out the door jamb or inner door structure to get to it. Any suggestions anyone? Thinking about looking for another door or maybe skinning it. Kinda letting it lay while I work on the other areas...........hoping a solution will pop up.
David
show a pic of both sides......ah ha pop up ..I get it .....
Old 08-28-2009, 10:02 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbodyman
show a pic of both sides......ah ha pop up ..I get it .....
I'll try to get some photos tomorrow.
David
Old 09-16-2009, 07:18 PM

Last photo:

Okay it's finally tomorrow. The first photo is the original subject of this thread. It was meant to be......................ah crap the upload just popped up and said my photo files are too large. Back in a few minutes (famous last words)
David
Old 09-16-2009, 09:20 PM

Last photo:

It was meant to be a plugging of the door handle hole. It's at the opening edge of the door and the inside of the door wraps around it........closing up access to back side if the depression. The 2nd and 3rd pics are the "bad" quarter panel. The 4th is of the "good" QP and the profile it should have.
The 5th is an overview of the project.
David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	387.JPG
Views:	43
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	40750   Click image for larger version

Name:	383.JPG
Views:	35
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	40751   Click image for larger version

Name:	384.JPG
Views:	34
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	40752   Click image for larger version

Name:	385.JPG
Views:	41
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	40753   Click image for larger version

Name:	392.JPG
Views:	36
Size:	72.0 KB
ID:	40754  

Old 09-17-2009, 05:46 AM

DD, If you cant gain acess from the inside and you dont have a stud welder you can weld a sheetmetal pulling plate to the body line then weld a pair of GOOD vicegrips to your dent puller,clamp them to the plate and pull it out that way or use the screw and puller then weld the holes up but back the holes up with aluminum or copper before welding it'll help a lot....as far as the 1/4 goes you should be able to gain access from the back side fairly easily.work the bodylines out first with a wide masons chisel 3-4".....posting pics can be a bit*h at first....ayy?

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.