One wire Alt with gen red lite ? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2012, 03:28 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

One wire Alt with gen red lite ?

I'm re-wiring a'55 T Bird, and convert it to 12 volts. The owner suppleiied a 1 wire alternator and a CHEAP wiring kit. Got all the wires in and working, except the original gen charge lite. Is it possible to hook it up somehow to the ! wire alt ????? I under stand how the gen lite works, but those wires are not available with ! wire alternator. IF, it was my car , I'd install a voltmeter. I would like to try to user the red lite.........How can I wire a ! wire alterntor inot the gen red ?????.thanks

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2012, 03:49 PM

Last journal entry: Dash Mock-up
Last photo:

There may be easier ways, but this is what I think of when I see someone in your situation:

LS-11 Lo Voltage Sensor-Ron Francis Wiring
Old 11-15-2012, 03:51 PM

Last journal entry: Latest changes
Last photo:

The low voltage relay is probably going to be your easiest way. The 12v. can go across the contacts, and then the coil of the relay is fed from the alternator. If voltage drops the coil out the contacts close and the red light comes on.
Some one wire alternators have an internal jumper from the one wire to the internal regulator and can be opened up and that lead tapped to attach a wire to an idiot light, but it might void your warranty on the alternator.|
Another method is to get a std. GM 3 wire alternator and jumper it to make it a one wire, then use terminal #1 to feed the idiot light. In these alternators you have a single wire off the post to the battery to charge, then there are #1-#2 post, and a jumper from #1 to the bolt on post makes it a one wire, and #2 is the indicator.
Like this:

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.