Hot Rod Forum banner

one wire alternator

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  65 Impala Racer 
#1 ·
how do i hook up a 12 volt amp gauge ?

#5 ·
Doc here, :pimp:

One wire Alternators are good for "Bare Bones" street Rods and Tractors (Which is EXACTLY what Delco designed them for..)

You Have NO Provisions for Remote sensing..Nor for a Charge lamp..It is also problematic, because they usually need an RPM bump to get them to charge on startup..and if you have a low battery, cold morning, sitting in a driveway with lights wipers, ect..all on..it my not be charging..next time it may not start, depending how far you drive it..

AMP meters (with one exception..Inductive pickup) are Downright Dangerous..

You have Full Battery Power across the gauge , 24/7/365..that can become loose, short, catch your ring or watchband while reaching around up under the dash, Start Fires, burn skin,and on most, When (not if..) the shunt burns out leaves the car with NO electrical power at all..

A Much better option , and easier to install, is a Voltage Gauge..Fused, Switched 12 volt source, and a properly bonded ground..and your done! Draws less than an amp..

Doc :pimp:

#6 ·
I use a one wire alternator

The gauge I use is a SW volt meter which is the only way to go, at least that is what my parts supplier says. No amp gauge. You are correct in that it takes a slight bump on the throttle to get it to register the correct voltage, but it is soooo much easier to install and there are no problems associated with the external voltage regulators on older cars.

I have had many problems with the charging system in my Impala and finally bought a new wiring harness and changed to the one wire alternator. I don't have any of the problems I was having before, and the car starts and operates fine.

I can't say that is won't be a problem in a newer car, but it works great in my 65 Impala. 65 Impala Racer

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.