one wire wiring question - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2007, 12:27 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

one wire wiring question

ive got a 67 cougar with a 289, can i hook the one wire from the alternator to my starter solenoid (positive side) thats mounted on the inner fender or does it have to go to the battery, im assuming they are the same?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2007, 12:47 PM

I'd hook it to the battery, that's the way I've done all of mine.
Old 08-28-2007, 02:47 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Rebuild an alternator Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 12

Doc here,

Connect a FUSE LINK or MAXI FUSE to the Battery side of the solenoid, then the alternator output wire to the fuse link.

This way, the links are out of the way, and free to burn up in case of overload, And accessible, AND the wire is NOT subject to Battery Corrosion and Loose cables.

Doc
Old 08-28-2007, 03:18 PM
Auto Parts Professional

Last photo:

on my Chevette I use a 40Amp circit breaker.

(large speakers and small 60amp alts dont get along)
Old 08-28-2007, 07:44 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holder350
on my Chevette I use a 40Amp circit breaker.

(large speakers and small 60amp alts dont get along)

Doc here,

Your headed For a lot of "Replacement" / Reset Breaker Headaches...

A Breaker, unless Thermally based, will "Pop" at the Drop of a hat..like 42 or 43 amps...(Thump~) ..and you'll be resetting it..a LOT! Also it is probably under rated for the wire size you presently have, which is NOT BAD...but you get better performance if you close up all the "Headroom" you can..more current to the end user device, without the fear of the "Wire" being the weakest link in the chain..The more performance you get at the output!

If you use a Fuse link, or a MAXI FUSE..That requires Over current (Heat) AND time (seconds to minutes) in a Constant over-current situation BEFORE the junction opens..therefore you won't be setting breakers or Fuses every time you get a long segment of Bassy Thumps on the high power audio system..IF the draw on the line link it as close a possible IF not at the same draw..PLUS you have that "High Draw Buffer" without loss of protection.

Doc
Old 08-29-2007, 10:49 AM
Auto Parts Professional

Last photo:

It is a thermal breaker which trips and reset automatic, under normal driveing with lights radio and winshield wipers going it stays on but if I crank the tunes my amp will trip it and it begins to pull off the batt only, my charge gauge drops to about 10V and know to turn the music down.

Is soon to be upgraded to a 100AMP.

Doc correct me if my thinking is wrong, is there any diffrance in the windings between a 78 and 108 alt? Or does the negitive diode set the amperage?

Last edited by Holder350; 08-29-2007 at 11:00 AM.
Old 08-29-2007, 04:15 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holder350
It is a thermal breaker which trips and reset automatic, under normal driveing with lights radio and winshield wipers going it stays on but if I crank the tunes my amp will trip it and it begins to pull off the batt only, my charge gauge drops to about 10V and know to turn the music down.

Is soon to be upgraded to a 100AMP.

Doc correct me if my thinking is wrong, is there any diffrance in the windings between a 78 and 108 alt? Or does the negitive diode set the amperage?
Doc here,

Toss The Breaker, Upgrade and be sure the feed wire is capable of MAX Supply current, (Peaks, not continuous) , and install a PROPER FUSE link or MAXI FUSE...

BY the time you get DONE screwing around with the breaker so it won't Trip on amplitude Peaks, you will have OVER FUSED the supply wire it is supposed to protect..then your headed for malt down and fire.

WHEN you upgrade, you'll have to do it all anyway, from the Alternator output back...might as well get a start on it now..

According to the GM~ac1 rebuild kit..there is NO difference between the 63 amp to the 100 Amp alternator..(look it up, It's your part number..one size fits all) however the Diode bricks become larger and sink more heat at the higher ampacity's..They list no 108 amp (for Chevy anyway..) and the divide line is the 12SI series, into the CS 130/140 Series..

Physical Attributes WILL change depending on it's application...(left, right, top, bottom..)but for the most part, the internals remain the same.

Doc
Old 08-29-2007, 11:09 PM
Auto Parts Professional

Last photo:

yeah well thats easier said than done, the alt that I have has a special case on it and the only alt that I can get it a 63amp SOOOO the last 2 alts that have been put on have been 73's (that are MUCH cheaper) and I have simply changed windings, diodes, and armatures.

The negative diode (heat sink) is the only part that I can find that actually changes PN for the different amperage sizeings. My problem is really not that the windings are going. when I disassemble the alt they check out alright, so I'm thinking the diodes are burning out.

But my 40Amp breaker mounted to my alt case has saved me from buying ANY more alts . my feed wire is a #6 and is wired thru the fusible link directly to the bat, So I'm not realy worried about the wire burning out/killing the car.

Not drivein it right now but it was working like a charm for 6 months after install.

there is NOTHING worse than being stuck thumming a ride to the parts store, where you stand at the counter and rebuild you alt infront of the counter guy, who wonders why your taking apart this brand new "caprice" alt.

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.