only my lights work....help! - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-27-2005, 10:09 AM
406 six speed

Wiki Edits: 0

only my lights work....help!

Just put in a new manifold on my wagon.Went to go start it and nothing!not even a click.I have power to the headlights and my door selenoids but thats it.No wipers radio , interior lights ...my ignition doesnt even buzz.i checked everything and cant find the problem.I dont know what turns on the ignition or the accesories, some kind of relay?If it is a relay where is it on a 78 malibu wagon and how do i test it?I need help and quick.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2005, 10:53 AM
my alter ego

Last photo:

Intake manifold? if so check the wires from the alternator.
Old 05-27-2005, 11:03 AM
406 six speed

all connected.Theres no juice after the fuse box except to the lights and anything else thats direct to the battery.
Old 05-27-2005, 11:10 AM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

Check the ground, if it`s connected to the alternator bracket, I`d reroute it directly to the block. While I doubt this is your problem, it`s likely at some point a hot wire got grounded while you were swapping intakes and it popped the fusable links. The fusable links are down by the starter, and they usually have a shield around them that`s bolted to the bellhousing. Check all the wires, make sure none are under the intake, or the valve covers. If all looks okay, then the fusable links are the last place to check, if they did pop, replace them, you`ll have to splice into the wire, and I would recommend the use of heat shrink butt connectors, do NOT, I repeat, DO NOT run a direct connection without fusable links! if the problem that caused them to pop is still there and you connect the battery you have instant fire. Next time remember this tip, anytime your doing any kind of work like a intake swap, always disconnect the battery. I learned this lesson when the same thing happened to me on my 79 malibu classic.
Old 05-27-2005, 11:14 AM
Come Home Safe Soldier

Last journal entry: Headers
Last photo:

No relay on the Malibus.Do you think you could have hit the ground strap that is connected to the firewall? It hooks to the firewall right behind the firewall.Check all your grounds,and hot leads on the battery.It is going to be in the grounding circuit somewhere.If you have lights and nothing else.Quick test here.Take a set of jumper cables,for jumping a battery.Attach one end to a good frame ground,attach the other ground clamp to the alternator bracket or something that is a good dependable engine ground,see if it fires up.If it does just double check all your wires and make sure they are tight,or the terminals did not come loose.

Double Vision,did not even think about the links,another good idea there.It is going to be something simple.
Old 05-27-2005, 05:40 PM
YOu KnOw IT

dang links

The fusable links got me today ....what a pain all that swearing for nothing
Old 05-27-2005, 06:04 PM
406 six speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro409
The fusable links got me today ....what a pain all that swearing for nothing
thats what it was.....

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.