Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Garage - Tools (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/garage-tools/)
-   -   Oops 440v Into a 220v Century 160 MIG - Now What? (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/oops-440v-into-220v-century-160-mig-now-what-227320.html)

sparkydog 12-18-2012 06:39 PM

Oops 440v Into a 220v Century 160 MIG - Now What?

Long story short. I took a new-to-me Century 160 MIG welder and wired it up to a 1phase 440v supply. (Not intentionally.) Flicked on the power switch and got a loud bang in about 4 seconds. The short tripped the supply breaker. I did not use the trigger on the gun.

Opened up the unit and the control transformer (aka the "Drive Transformer") primary winding is clearly blown and melted. No other obvious damage that I can see. I tried calling the Century tech support line a few times but no human contact. I got creative and called my local Lincoln repair facility and they tell me that sometimes the only thing that blows is this transformer and other times it takes out more stuff - such as the controller board downstream of the transformer.

I have removed the damaged control transformer and have deduced that the specs for it (off the Century parts list) are 230VAC in 24VAC out 6amp rating. I have ordered a 240vac to 24vac 150 VA transformer from automation direct and intend to quickly hook it up, apply correct supply voltage (208 in my case) and see if it works and that nothing else seems to be inop. If so then I will permanently mount the new control transformer and move on.

Is there anything else I should be aware of or think about? Thanks for reading and I appreciate any advice you guys might have.

Sparky.

Shelby1 12-18-2012 07:29 PM

sparky when a transformer has the wrong voltage applied to the primary it will still induce a voltage in the secondary before it blows/shorts out etc.,the next thing in line ( most times ) is the rectifier diodes and filter caps, if any thing else is going to be blown it should be them, and that should protect the main board......hopefully
Good Luck !
Kenny

BOBCRMAN@aol.com 12-18-2012 07:59 PM

One of my kids did same to a Lincoln Mig. Not so lucky. Got transformer, circuit board and even the cooling fan!

sparkydog 12-19-2012 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shelby1 (Post 1624275)
sparky when a transformer has the wrong voltage applied to the primary it will still induce a voltage in the secondary before it blows/shorts out etc.,the next thing in line ( most times ) is the rectifier diodes and filter caps, if any thing else is going to be blown it should be them, and that should protect the main board......hopefully
Good Luck !
Kenny

The big capacitors "look" OK and the diode bridge on the wire feed control board seems OK too. No burned traces or any other evidence of trauma. Keeping my fingers crossed and waiting for the new control transformer to arrive. :rolleyes:

sparkydog 12-21-2012 09:25 AM

Whew I got lucky. New control transformer is in and everything works OK!

Shelby1 12-22-2012 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sparkydog (Post 1625479)
Whew I got lucky. New control transformer is in and everything works OK!

Outstanding !!!!
Kenny