Hot Rod Forum banner

Open discussion on business donations to the Streetbeasts auction

2K views 17 replies 14 participants last post by  carsavvycook 
#1 ·
Some of you may have noticed that Progressive Automotive has donated an IFS for the auction to fight the frivolous lawsuit filed by Streetbeasts, in this auction forum thread.

We're very careful here about our relationships with businesses in the hotrodding industry, because we recognize the value of our neutrality. When Progressive Automotive offered to contribute to the auction, we started a lengthy discussion about this in the mod forum, with the ultimate consensus being that this is a good idea, doesn't violate our policies, and will generally be understood by the members here to be an acceptable and cool move. While this constitutes no violation of our business posting guidelines, I figured that people might want a chance to offer their opinion in an organized thread, so I've started one here. Thanks.

#2 ·
My opinion

Jon,
I am sure the sponsorship is appreciated, and I like the idea in general.

TV show after TV show I seen obviously donated high dollar kits where some other guy than me gets the benefits, while I have to put up with commercial after commercial as my payment to watch an info-mercial on why I should buy high dollar kits to put on my car. It's nice to see something I benefit from get a corporate sponsorship of parts.

The only concern I have is one web site that started accepting corporate sponsorship, they were restricted on their freedom to even talk about or acknowledge competing products. I don't think that is the case here, but you may want to keep that in mind so that line don't get crossed in the future.

Kudos to Progressive. I just may have to find an excuse to do business with them in the future.

Steve

#3 ·
Commercial donations

A slippery slope, but one I feel this forum can do. The donation shows that
Progressive as well as Power Rods are companys willing to support the
people who support them- I think we can safely say that they know this
group will say what they feel about a product good or bad. I know that I
would have to put them at the top of my list all other factors being equal.

#4 ·
Jon, I joined this site because I have a manufacturer stalking me around the internet and this could just as easily have been me.

I donated, not much, but I'll come up with more. I say do what you have to do to bury these idiots so there will be case law for everyone. That is my selfish intention.

I'm for whatever helps you make the point. Good luck, I hope you triumph then sue them for slander or something.

#5 ·
Jon said:
Some of you may have noticed that Progressive Automotive has donated an IFS for the auction to fight the frivolous lawsuit filed by Streetbeasts, in this auction forum thread.

We're very careful here about our relationships with businesses in the hotrodding industry, because we recognize the value of our neutrality. When Progressive Automotive offered to contribute to the auction, we started a lengthy discussion about this in the mod forum, with the ultimate consensus being that this is a good idea, doesn't violate our policies, and will generally be understood by the members here to be an acceptable and cool move. While this constitutes no violation of our business posting guidelines, I figured that people might want a chance to offer their opinion in an organized thread, so I've started one here. Thanks.
Im not knocking as to what is getting done, who's doing it, and the final intentions, but how is this not in violation of the guidlines
Please direct any specific questions to Bob Shetrone at Progressive Automotive, who can be reached at: (740) 862-4696.
It looks to me that if money wasn't involved and that this wasn't "for the cause" anyone else that posted the name of their business would have been sent to the Dump IMMEDIATELY. And this is by no means any ill respect towards Progressive Automotive, but who get's stroked around here and who is doing the stroking? So rule get changed to meet the situation? Maybe everyone that donates some money can start advertising in the general forums or does the rule only apply to a select few.

#7 ·
Jon, I don't see any problems with Progressive's generosity as long as there are no strings attached. My car club solicits donations to be used as door prizes/auction items from local businesses to raise money for the Shriners Hospital. In return for these donations, we acknowledge the business that made the donation. We are not nor is the businesses seeking any favors, but we and they know the people receiving these donations become potential customers. I see no problem of some member winning the bid on a Progressive front end and reporting back on what they think of it. Progressive must have their eyes wide open to some criticism as well as praising of their product. I just don't see this as a vendor/business advertising, but do see it as a calculated marketing venture and support of a good cause.

Trees

#8 ·
I read over the situation through all of the links posted and I read this websites terms of use etc.

While the business contact information is posted, Jon admitted to doing so. This is a technicality which I understand may or may or may not be viewed as fair to the other members or vendors of this community.

I think we all understand the situation here, and which ever side of the fence any individual stands on, we can probably all agree that given the circumstances of legal action being taken against you and this community as a whole - this is NOT a blatant display of favoritism.

I personally feel that any business who feels this is a breach of contract, should simply make a donation as well (no matter how small) and ask you to direct all inquiries about the product in question in auction to them. Those who chose not to participate in donating to the fund-raiser have nothing to complain about.

In conclusion I'd like to say the following:

Is it a technical breach of contract? Yes.

Do people come together in tough times regardless of existing laws and governing forces? Yes.

Should this happen to any other person in this entire community, would you hope someone would do the same for you? Yes.

Enough said. Put policy, and politics aside - this is for the greater good of this community, and people in general.

#11 ·
trees said:
Jon, I don't see any problems with Progressive's generosity as long as there are no strings attached. My car club solicits donations to be used as door prizes/auction items from local businesses to raise money for the Shriners Hospital. In return for these donations, we acknowledge the business that made the donation. We are not nor is the businesses seeking any favors, but we and they know the people receiving these donations become potential customers. I see no problem of some member winning the bid on a Progressive front end and reporting back on what they think of it. Progressive must have their eyes wide open to some criticism as well as praising of their product. I just don't see this as a vendor/business advertising, but do see it as a calculated marketing venture and support of a good cause.

Trees
(Bold added).

It's an auction to support freedom of speech; specifically, to support the right to speak out against bad business practices or products as well as for good ones. IMO, it is to the credit of Mr. Shetrone to accept the scrutiny by this community, and therefore the risk of criticism, associated with the donation. In the vernacular of my youth, that's letting it all hang out.

#12 ·
trees said:

Trees
This sort of thing has been a longstanding policy in the business community for a long time in that when a business makes a donation to some cause in the community there is some recognition...Some sort of thank you..

What I think is that people object to is going into one of the tech forums and getting hit with ads and buy me twaddle when they are looking for an answer to a tech issue..

What I think Jon could do is set up a "Kudos Page" seperate from the forums where he could place Names and contact info for individuals and businesses who have made significant contributions to HR.com

That would be a locked page that only Jon could edit so people could see for themselves who have contributed..This way no one is being force fed ad material..

Sam

#13 ·
OneMoreTime said:
This sort of thing has been a longstanding policy in the business community for a long time in that when a business makes a donation to some cause in the community there is some recognition...Some sort of thank you..

What I think is that people object to is going into one of the tech forums and getting hit with ads and buy me twaddle when they are looking for an answer to a tech issue..

What I think Jon could do is set up a "Kudos Page" seperate from the forums where he could place Names and contact info for individuals and businesses who have made significant contributions to HR.com

That would be a locked page that only Jon could edit so people could see for themselves who have contributed..This way no one is being force fed ad material..

Sam
Well said and I agree . I believe Jon is setting up a "kudos" page of some type. I visit a few websites, more and more are going to advertising or member monetary support. After this lawsuit dust settles, Jon shouldn't be out of his pocket ANY expenses, IMO. We've got a great site here, let's keep it going.
Dan

#14 · (Edited)
Page verses Thread

I agree a locked "kudos" page only edited by Jon, is a great thought.

I would like to see it as a "Thread" instead. This way when it is added to by Jon himself, it will be bumped to the top of the current, or new posts, and thread lists for everyone to see, and appreciate.

This way, any corporate, or business owner "guest" will see it without having to click on a link, or go to a special page.

This could entice more donations to the cause. JMO

Stephen

#15 ·
As long as anyone is willing to donate for the cause without an alterior motive it should be allowed, at least in my opinion.

If a direct competitor to streetbeasts was donating thousands of dollars I may say that could cross the line as they would see corperate gain from streetbeasts being harmed.

Just my thoughts though, they may not count.

#16 · (Edited)
ChevyThunder said:
As long as anyone is willing to donate for the cause without an alterior motive it should be allowed, at least in my opinion.

If a direct competitor to streetbeasts was donating thousands of dollars I may say that could cross the line as they would see corperate gain from streetbeasts being harmed.

Just my thoughts though, they may not count.
I don't see it as trying to hurt the competitors at all. If Streetbeasts feels they are being hurt, they can drop the lawsuit.

Now, if Jon were going after SB and the competitor funded it, that's another story. I don't see that knid of conflict here. In fact, Progressive is putting themselves in a position where by precident they can't go after anyone. Just because they're competitive doesn't make it wrong.

#17 ·
Thanks guys, keep 'em coming, I'm reading all of these closely (and will comment more later).

I'm surprised nobody's bid yet on the IFS, and have adjusted my sig (see below) to bring it some clicks (considering that there's no reserve, somebody could conceivably win the auction for much lower than the retail value). I considered explicitly putting "IFS from Progressive Automotive" in the sig, but am holding off for now. Might add a banner ad too.

#18 ·
I just had a thought regarding a Locked Kudos (page, or thread) being edited only by Jon.

It might be wise to consider having a Mod, not involved by posting in any of the threads on this lawsuit subject, to be the person to start, or post in a closed page/thread.

The litigation is against Jon, as the web master. It could be detrimental to him in court proceedings, if he is the "editor", or "OP".

This should be considered as a non-biased, or neutral posting in a page/thread in any court litigation/legal proceedings.

Just a thought.

Stephen

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.