Opinion on 302/351W heads - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2002, 11:37 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Post Opinion on 302/351W heads

I found these on ebay, was wondering what people thought of them.

<a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1870983196" target="_blank">http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1870983196</a>

They have sold several sets, and I have emailed the buyers to get their opinions, but was wondering if these would be a better addition to the 302 I'm building rather than the set of stock 302 heads (D3 casting number).

I was also wondering if anyone had any info on the size of the intake and exhaust valves on a D3 cast 302 heads.

Thanks,
Ryan

[ November 01, 2002: Message edited by: 66StangBoy ]</p>

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2002, 12:31 PM
Ford Freak

Last photo:

Based on what it says, these heads would give you no performance gains over your heads that you have now. The stock 302 heads have the same sized valves as these heads that are for sale. They don't say anything about combustion chamber size, which is pretty important if you are looking for performance. It is obviously not early 351 heads becuase they have bigger valves along with bigger intake ports. If it is off of a 351 windsor, its probably 69cc and if you put it on a 302 it will actually take away performance becasue of a compression ratio of about 8:1. The ports are identical also to 302 heads. Also, if its off a 351 and you put it on a 302, you need head bolt bushings to make the holes go from 1/2 to 7/16"
If it is off of a 302 the combustion chamber volume could be anywhere from 53-67cc. I can't tell you because they didn't give the casting numbers. The only condition that I would buy these under is if it had under 60cc chambers to give you 9:1 with flat tops. Otherwise you really don't have any gain over stock heads except for those stiffer valve springs. If you have a stock cam it wouldn't make a difference anyway.
So, ask them what the casting number is. You say that your heads are D3XX, which means they probably have large chambers becuause of the gas crisis and smog laws during those years. You might get a performance gain from compression using these afterall if they have smaller chambers.
Old 11-01-2002, 12:33 PM
Ford Freak

Last photo:

oops, i mean with 60cc chambers you will get 9.5:1! . . .with flat tops
Old 11-01-2002, 12:58 PM

Is there any way for someone like myself (hardly even a backyard mechanic... more like I just found the backyard, hehe)to determine the size of the combustion chamber size or would I have to take them somewhere to have them checked?
Old 11-01-2002, 04:10 PM

I have one other question about heads... I've now had the info that perhaps putting some kind of larger chevy valves into 289 or 302 heads would be a really good way to get the engine to breathe.

Anyone that could elaborate on that?
Old 11-02-2002, 02:36 PM
Ford Freak

Last photo:

yes you can put larger chevy valves into your heads and it will help upper rpm hp. It may effect your low end torque too though, im many cases with pushrod engines you will have a tradeoff with low end torque or upper rpm hp. This pertains to cams, heads, and intake. So yes you could, it takes a lot of work though i would have a good machine shop do it. Its up to you if you would rather have low end torque or higher hp.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.