Opinion asked for - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2004, 08:54 PM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Opinion asked for

Friend and I made a deal with my machinist, we offered him a set of bare camel hump heads with accessory holes for a roller cam 350 block, he said deal, so today we went and stripped the block all the way down, it had 3 spun main bearings, so the block will need align honed, he said he would send it away to be done, and it would likely cost around $150, I suggested to my friend that we pay half for the align hone, since the machinist will be out money on the block, but my friend said the deal made was good heads for a good block, so he says we shouldn`t pay the machinist anything, I`ve asked others who all say my friend is right, but I`m thinking if we did so this way, the machinist would tell others we screwed him over and my rep would be shot, I`ve always been honest in all my dealings since I don`t care to be looked at as a cheat. I can see my friends point, but the machinist is also letting us have the whole engine minus heads, and he`s throwing in a usable crank, he said he asks $175 for these blocks and magnafluxes them to assure there not cracked. the rods are pretty much useless in this engine, so we`ll have to get our own rods, but we got to keep the roller tappets and all the other pieces to this engine, so i`m asking, should we pay half for a align hone? or should the machinist pay for it all?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2004, 09:00 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Did the heads you traded need any work? did they need guides?, if they were rebuildable cores and not cracked, you should only expect to get a rebuildable core in return for the trade.
Old 02-21-2004, 09:04 PM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

Yes, the heads need guides, and he said he would install seats on the exhaust, he said that they were worth $100 per head, we had them magnafluxed last year by the same machinist and they are crack free. he said he would build the heads and he knew they would sell quickly. I see your point Nairb, buildable should get buildable, and the machinist said that he would have to get the block align honed anyway, since he was already cash out on these engines.
Old 02-21-2004, 09:08 PM
CORNFED and INBRED !?!

Hey D.V., if the deal was to get a good usable block, your friend is probably right (I get a discount at the machine shop but I only pay around $100 for an align hone)! The thing is, do you feel like you are doing your machinist wrong? If so, by all means pay for half of the align hone even if your buddy won't budge and hold your head high! The machinist will consider you a friend even if the friend disowns you! Money is always hard to come by but self-worth is even harder!! You don't want to feel uneasy any time you see the machinist , do you! You know how you honestly feel about the situation! Just don't let it keep you awake at night!!
Old 02-22-2004, 02:02 AM

I would discuss it with the machinist before the deal goes any further. I would never enter into any deal unless you are absolutely sure that all parties involved are clear on the terms, and in complete agreement, BEFORE the transaction gets started. Minor details can cause major hard feelings when wheeling and dealing.

Just my $.02 worth.
kitkar
Old 02-22-2004, 05:35 AM

Last journal entry: JB's 37 Pickup
Last photo:

DV, I'm with you on this. You traded buildable heads for a buildable block. To me, both parties knew or assumed machine work would be required to build a good motor. Had there been a crack in the block or spun bearings had done so much damage, rebuild would be questionable, then a NO Trade would be the right thing, but to expect a ready to build block is not realistic. You may want to start watching your "parterner" a little closer, cause you may be his next "target".

Trees

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.