Opinion on new 350 sbc build. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2013, 05:40 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Opinion on new 350 sbc build.

Hello guys its been a while since I posted but I had nasopharyngeal cancer last year stage 4 and was not expected to be here but after treatments I still am so been busy with all that stuff but since I don't know how much time I have left I figured to change some things on my 350 sbc mainly the heads and cam while I can.

I currently have a 96 s10 with 3.43 rear gears along with a turbo 350 2200 rpm stall, 350 sbc 1 piece rear main seal with 180cc rhs iron pro action heads 72 cc chambers, 262/270 211/219 @ 50 507/515 lift lunati voodoo roller cam with weiand dual plain high rise intake with a holley 600 vacuum secondary carb with 9 to 1 compression ratio.

I put it all together two years ago with my Dad and did not realize the rhs heads had the spark plugs angling down instead of straight out like any other normall head and never saw this design before and I have seen a lot of chevy builds but never with spark plugs going down. Long story short had to cut header pipes on both sides as it would not fit cause of plugs angling like that.

They are not angle plug heads as they all go out straight but angled down. Rhs has them as straight plug configuration go figure.

Anyways I am going to change out the heads with a set of Dart SHP 180cc aluminum heads with 72cc chambers and put a slightly bigger cam in but not too much bigger a lunati 270/278 219/227 @50 515/530 roller cam with full roller rockers.

Does this combo look like it should match pretty good and should it be decent still on street maners and vacuum signal since this is a everyday driver even though I don't drive it everyday but still take it out weekly.

I just decided to go with a slightly bigger cam for a nice sounding idle and to go better with the dart aluminum heads. So new combo below
350 sbc 9 to 1 cr
Holley 600 vacuum secondary
dart shp aluminum 180cc heads 72cc chamber
270/278 219/227 @ 50 515/530 lift full roller rockers
weiand dual plane high rise intake
Hei with performance module and coil
Flat top pistons 1.560 compression height block has been decked.
Turbo 350 with 2200 stall 3.43 rear gears.

Thanks for looking guys look forward to hear from you.
Eric

Advertisement

Last edited by eric32; 03-18-2013 at 05:47 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2013, 09:15 AM
Old & Furious

As a personal preference i never buy 180 cc aftermarket heads since you can port good stock heads to this size. I would go 195 with a little more cam than 219. would be nice for fuel injected setup but you could run a much larger cam and still make good power with pretty good manners.

With the 2300 stall you should be able to run the next size up cam and still not be out of range of your converter. This along with 195cc heads will increase the power output in one big leap forward.

I think this cam is the one most people like in your hp range.
08-423-8 - XTREME Energy

You could also run the baby thumpr and make good power as well.

And good luck with your health problems. Hope all works out for you. Sucks to be down when you have a project to build!
Old 03-19-2013, 10:56 AM

Last photo:

Yeah I see where your coming from but I already have a older s10 that is a lot more radicle then this setup. Its got a way bigger cam and bigger port heads that were ported out and stuff. This is more for the daily driver sort of deal but with decent street manners and still be good on power. The 180cc intake runners help with more bottom end to midrange and fuel mileage of what I can get anyways. If I croke then it has to be streetable as my wife would get it lol so she would have to be able to drive it. She won't touch my other truck. I already bought my cam and got it on a billet shaft so no going back on that.
Eric
Old 03-19-2013, 05:35 PM

Last photo:

eric32,
I can relate somewhat as last July I was diagnosed with Acute Myloid Leukemia. Spent the entire month of August in the cancer ward with an IV in my arm. Whoopie! Waiting to hear from Vanderbuilt so I can get a bone marrow transplant. We'll see?
As far as your build, why don't you go with the 64cc heads? Using Pat Kelley's compression calculator, and Comp's Cam Quest software to get a cam with similar duration numbers(XR270HR-218,224 @ 0.050"), a 5.7" rod, 5cc valve reliefs(?), 0.015" in the hole(you didn't say how much it was decked) I get a compression ratio of 9.86:1 static, and 8.05:1 dynamic CR. Should be good on 91 octane and kick butt at the same time(450hp @ 6k rpm, 458ft lbs @ 4k rpm) or so says Cam Quest.
Even if you have 0.0" deck height the static comes out to 10.22:1 static, and 8.33:1 dynamic.(all CR figures were using a 4.166 bore gasket, 0.039" thick). Do a little polishing on the chambers to get rid of any sharp edges(and increase the volume just a tad) and with a light truck with 3.43 gears you should be free of detonation IMO.
By the way, I'm sure you were talking about the heads with the 1.437" dual springs as the single springs would only allow .520" max lift.
Good luck,
ssmonty
Old 03-19-2013, 08:00 PM

Last photo:

Hello ssmonty sorry to hear that you had that. I had 35 radiation treatments to the head neck area and 9 chemo treatments and it was the strongest they could give you and some have died from it but some how I survived but with disabling side effects. Anyways yes the heads are the dual 1.437 springs and my pistons I believe sit .010 to .005 in the hole and I use felpro 1003 gaskets. I went with the 72cc chamber to keep my current compression as it runs great on 89 octane and a decent timing curve on my distributor. According to the keith black calculator I have around 9.1 compression and did not want to go to much over that to be safe with pump fuel. I hope it all will turn out good as this is most likely the last build I will be able to do as my Dad's not getting any younger and I am not able to do like I used to cause of treatments and he will be doing most of the work this time.
Take care
Eric

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.