Opinion on Quality of front suspension parts? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-28-2009, 07:23 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Opinion on Quality of front suspension parts?

Looking to rebuild front end on 1984 chevy c 10 pickup. What company should i use for parts, as there are alot out there. Some choices I have looked at are Moog, Duralast, Pst,or Performance Online. Thanks for the opinions. 2WD, street driven.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2009, 01:53 AM

Last wiki edit: Header design
Last journal entry: And still more pics...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Moog seem to make good parts in my experience. Installed plenty of their ball joints, tie rod ends, control arm bushing, etc and always found the fitment to be good. Also have grease zerks on their parts where possible, even if OEM doesn't, which is a plus in my book (though others may disagree). I'm sure some front end guys will pipe up.
Old 12-29-2009, 05:40 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

In the past, I used PST (Performance Suspension Technology) for suspension parts. They have the Polygraphite material and it seems to have held up well- it's still running around in a couple G-body cars, and a couple more F-bodys. They also offer OEM-type kits.

As for where the parts are made, because they don't say "Made In America", you can bet where they came from. When I bought mine, the Chinese connection hadn't reached full chat so I didn't give it much thought. I don't remember seeing China on them, but by now, who knows.

I wouldn't be surprised to see China on Moog and TRW parts before it's all over.
Old 12-29-2009, 06:49 AM

Most of the older TRW parts are being copied, illegally, by the offshore manufactures.

The factory where I work makes suspension and If you go on ebay you can find most of our parts made by some else. On these parts we are (supposed to be) the exclusive manufacturer.

The main problem is that alot of the control arms / tie rod ends are supposed to be forged steal to survive the stresses. The offshore ones are mostly cast iron and will not last, and will most likely fail severely. Not a chance I am willing to take with a part that holds the wheel on my car.
Old 12-29-2009, 09:33 AM
Lost in the 60's

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

I try to stay with MOOG as much as I can.
Old 12-29-2009, 05:05 PM

Last photo:

I'd say that regardless of what brand you buy, the new items are going to be an improvement. With and '84 and probably well over a hundred thousand miles, I'm guessing the front end isn't all that needs attention.
Old 01-02-2010, 03:25 AM
Absolute beginner

Last photo:

To utilize the topic,
What do you think about Raybestos suspension parts?
I plan to rebuild my 78 Monte Carlo front and found them at very reasonable price (their service grade line).
Old 01-02-2010, 09:09 AM

Raybestos suspension parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rack
To utilize the topic,
What do you think about Raybestos suspension parts?
I plan to rebuild my 78 Monte Carlo front and found them at very reasonable price (their service grade line).
VERY Good question, I just ordered from Performance Suspension Componets a rebuild kit for my 1984 Chevy C-10. I was told the parts are made from a company called McQUAY, NORRIS. So I did some research and it looks like they are forged products. After more research I foundout they make Raybestos parts, so I decided to order the kit. The kit has not arrived yet, should be this upcoming week. It looks like most people still favor MOOG products. Mcquay Norris is about impossible to get ahold of, they never got back to me. Their website directed me to O'reilly's, but I asked them personally and the did not know what I was talking about. Jerry from the componet company says he stands by their product. Hope this helps you,KEN
Old 01-02-2010, 12:47 PM
Absolute beginner

Last photo:

Hi Ken,

I found link to McQuay-Norris web site on Raybestos web site:
http://www.mcquaynorris.com/wps/portal/mcquaynorris
So I think they are somehow connected

Sorry for the question, but I am not native English speaker, what do you mean by "it looks like they are forged products"? Forged like made of forged steel or like couterfeit, cheap copy or so?

Thanks for the info.

Regards,
Ivo
Old 01-02-2010, 04:09 PM

Quality of front suspension

Quote:
Originally Posted by rack
Hi Ken,

I found link to McQuay-Norris web site on Raybestos web site:
http://www.mcquaynorris.com/wps/portal/mcquaynorris
So I think they are somehow connected

Sorry for the question, but I am not native English speaker, what do you mean by "it looks like they are forged products"? Forged like made of forged steel or like couterfeit, cheap copy or so?

Thanks for the info.

Regards,
Ivo
Ivo, What I mean by forged is, metal that is heated up and bent and hammered to make the part. A forged part on suspension in my opinion is far superior than a part that is cast. Cast suspension parts are brittle, thus a better chance to snap when hitting something. A forged part has what we call ductility which means it can bend or absorbe an impact without snapping. A forged part if they still are made are labor intensive. I hope this helps you. KEN.
Old 01-03-2010, 03:26 AM
Absolute beginner

Last photo:

Hi Ken,

Thank you for the comprehensive info
I hope everything will be fine with the parts ones I got them.

Best regards,
Ivo

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.