opinions on 400 BB mopar building - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2013, 01:55 PM
72 Dodge Charger Sgt/USMC

Wiki Edits: 0

opinions on 400 BB mopar building

hello everyone,

ive been researching for a while and i cannot make up my mind wether or not or how I should rebuild my 400 bb.

I startred reading many different threads about every one who has one and throws a "440" crank in and or bores to .030+ over stroked block.

I am kinda on the fence about just calling it a day and buying your basic rebuild kit gaskets and rings ect.. becuase i just spoke with the local Machine shop. I told him i was on a budget and what he could offer me to start out with for 2500 buck keep in mind this is not complete build just to get the ball rolling and his response was I can absolutley nothing for you with that amount. needless to say im thing just a rebuild half on my own.

I am not new to motors or building them but i dont have the means to machine anythiny i.e deck or hone...ect..

All I am looking for is something that sounds good and i could pull out on the weekend to the local track to play with no goals really all though any deceant cheap power is great any help is greatly appreciated.

btw this is going in my 72 Dodge Charger SE
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2013, 02:36 PM

Last photo:

400 engine

I would think you could find something running for 1500$ or even less with a lot of searching.
Old 05-01-2013, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalstorm View Post
I would think you could find something running for 1500$ or even less with a lot of searching.
well i already bought the 400 and it seems harder to come by when i was looking for mopar blocks plus the 400 i have came out of a 72 charger as well
Old 05-01-2013, 04:09 PM
More dogs than bones

Last journal entry: This makes a huge difference
Last photo:

They could not offer you a performance rebuild kit for less than 2500, that is bad.

The B/RB engines have always been expensive to build. The selection of good heads is limited too. There is a place called the 440source.com that has some good mopar deals. Manciniracing too.

If you want fun and cruise with power, the stock rebuild might be our best option.

A real good cruising package would be a magnum 360 with Rpm 4bbl intake , RT roller cam, 750 vac sec holley or 800 avs carb. That would be around $1500-2000 to get and complete.

A heavy 72 charger is a fat machine and needs some grunt to happily motor around.
Old 05-01-2013, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinn View Post
They could not offer you a performance rebuild kit for less than 2500, that is bad.

The B/RB engines have always been expensive to build. The selection of good heads is limited too. There is a place called the 440source.com that has some good mopar deals. Manciniracing too.

If you want fun and cruise with power, the stock rebuild might be our best option.

A real good cruising package would be a magnum 360 with Rpm 4bbl intake , RT roller cam, 750 vac sec holley or 800 avs carb. That would be around $1500-2000 to get and complete.

A heavy 72 charger is a fat machine and needs some grunt to happily motor around.

Magnum 360 package?
Old 05-01-2013, 07:55 PM

why not just build the engine factory stock with a small roller hydraulic cam. an aluminum manifold and headers?
contact paintedjester,hes a mopar fan and builds a lot of 400 hp street engines
Old 05-01-2013, 08:06 PM

It is easy to get horsepower out of a big block Mopar. Do a basic build on the bottom, get your compression around 10:1 and spend some money on heads. Get the heads to flow and you got it. Put a roller cam in - adjustable rockers - get the right stall and gears to make it all match. Now basic build on bottom, you can get by fine with cast pistons, get good rings. To rebuild heads, you can get almost $1000 in them, so consider getting a pair of aluminum for a few $$ more. You could then get by with a little more compression.
Old 05-01-2013, 08:38 PM
More dogs than bones

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgt72charger View Post
Magnum 360 package?
Yeah, it sounded like big blocks were out of the spending limit.

I was thinking that a smallblock magnum headed 360 can be had cheap. Then rering, recam . That R/T cam in the 360 was pretty fast in a big heavy pickup. The truck was the Dakota? or Ram? Not good with current models.

440source has a 500" + stroker 400 kits balanced for under 2k.
Old 05-01-2013, 08:52 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

With this heavy car, I'm gonna give you my standard song and dance about starting at the rear with suspension, gears, posi, wheels and tires. It probably has an 8 3/4" pig, so I might be thinkin' 3.73/3.91/4.10 gears.
Mopar Posi Units for 8 3/4, Dana 60,8 1/4, 9 1/4 and others.

I'm assuming this rig is auto, so your next concern after the diff would be a looser converter.

I've known fellows who have satisfied their performance goals just with gears and converter, not messing with the motor at all. Of course, if you want to put some soup in the motor later, the rest of the drivetrain is already set up for it.
Old 05-02-2013, 07:58 AM

Any good sites for these parts any one could recommend
Old 05-02-2013, 10:14 AM
More dogs than bones

Last photo:

This stuff is pretty reasonable.

scroll on down to 400"

Stroker Kits from 440 Source!!

Brewers sells complete centersections for the 8 3/4/

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.