Opinions about this camshaft for my application - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-22-2011, 05:06 PM

Last journal entry: update
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool rockin daddy
Too Slow,
Ever ported heads before? If not, forget the 305 heads. Would cost you $700 to have them ported to even come close to what stock Vortecs would give you power-wise. Many 350 head choices to go with over the 305 boat anchors. jmho
Even virgin '416s will out-flow the GT40 heads that Ford used in the Lightning, and will be a cheap and easy upgrade over those 993 heads with a gain you can feel. Not all 305 heads are boat anchors. Only the swirl-ports

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2011, 05:11 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho
Isn't the 305 the one that had very small chamber heads? I remember a friend swapped 350 heads on one yrs ago and the 305 lost a lot of power. Later to find out that swap drastically killed the compression. If yes, be careful on head swapping
True, but that engine really has 7.8:1 with GM's own 0.028", 10105117 head gaskets. FelPro steel-shims alone would bring that to 8.0:1, and shaving the heads 0.030" would still be a lame 8.5:1
Swapping to 58 cc 416 heads from an early-mid '80s 305, with the FelPros, gives a not-excessive 9.55:1. And the improved combustion efficiency of the 081 heads fully offsets the loss of 3 cc if you also reduce the spark advance by 1-2 degrees.
Old 12-22-2011, 08:11 PM
1.21 giga-watts???!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by whyholdback
Even virgin '416s will out-flow the GT40 heads that Ford used in the Lightning, and will be a cheap and easy upgrade over those 993 heads with a gain you can feel. Not all 305 heads are boat anchors. Only the swirl-ports
I'm sorry but you're dreaming. 305 heads on a 350 are a joke when you consider all the good heads out there designed for a 350.
Old 12-22-2011, 08:20 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool rockin daddy
I'm sorry but you're dreaming. 305 heads on a 350 are a joke when you consider all the good heads out there designed for a 350.
Ever done your own back-to-back comparison between 1.94-valved, 76-cc '882 heads, and 1.84"-valved, 58-cc '416 heads? I have. It's not like Vortecs or AFRs, true, but the cost is $80, and doesn't require a Vortec-specific intake manifold adding another $200, either.
At my local salvage yards, on any day of any week, any iron head is $38 each, including the valves, springs, retainers and locks.
At that price, it's too good a value to ignore.
It seems you might be one of those financially comfortable 1% persons that us impoverished 99% types like to think of as elitists.
Old 12-22-2011, 11:45 PM
owner of Prices Garage

Last photo:

cam sounds good for torque if u would change heads use 96 up vortecs here 64 cc yours is 76 cc
Old 12-23-2011, 06:38 AM
1.21 giga-watts???!!!!

Quote:
Ever done your own back-to-back comparison between 1.94-valved, 76-cc '882 heads, and 1.84"-valved, 58-cc '416 heads? I have. It's not like Vortecs or AFRs, true, but the cost is $80, and doesn't require a Vortec-specific intake manifold adding another $200, either.
At my local salvage yards, on any day of any week, any iron head is $38 each, including the valves, springs, retainers and locks.
It seems you might be one of those financially comfortable 1% persons that us impoverished 99% types like to think of as elitists.
Nah, unlike you, I'm one of those rodders that will save up my $ and do the job the right way.
Old 12-23-2011, 07:09 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Comparing a 305 "HO" head to a smogger open chamber 350 SBC head is setting up a scenario that is intentionally biased towards the 305 head. Saying a 305 head is better than the worst of the worst 350 head says very little that's of any real use IMO. Both are turds. You gain compression w/the 305 head. That's it. End of story- unless you rework them.

And reworking them is something that not all rodders are prepared to do. One, do they actually know what/how to do it? Two- do they own the tools required, or are they willing to pay to have an experienced hand in it? Three- has the benefits vs. cost really been weighed?

Now, if you have a LOT more time than money, and you own the tools needed, and have the skill set required, and are willing to pay to have the 1.94 seats done, and are willing to buy the valves, and you consider your time spent reworking the 305 heads as time well spent, then the 305 heads can make sense.

But to anyone who's time is limited and/or valuable to them, the idea of spending hours w/grinder in hand wearing a dust mask and bathing in cast iron dust is going to be a deal killer big time, when you consider the added ~$150-$250 to have Vortec heads in the first place- heads that will outflow the 305 heads by an insurmountable margin regardless of time spent in the garage by a home porter.

Looking at it another way, consider how many hours you will spend at your job to earn the additional funds to buy Vortec heads and an intake, compared to the hours and money you will spend on the 305 heads. Then compare the power that will be made by either combo when all is said and done and I'm sure you'd have to agree the Vortec heads are a better $ vs. performance deal than the 305 heads will ever be.

Now if that's elitist, I'm guilty. But I'd rather think of it as good time management and better use of the funds that are spent.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.