Opinions about transmission service/flush - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-25-2010, 12:43 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

"I think the transmission service machine is the biggest ripoff in recent automotive history."

You have not had a shop try to sell you an engine flush along with the engine oil change?

That is why I like changing my own engine oil. After remoiving the drain plug, I let it sit overnight. I get about a half quart more dirty oil out of the engine that way.
This is another good reason for changing engine oil around 3000 miles. The old oil left in the engine is not really that dirty.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2010, 09:48 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-bucket23
I think the transmission service machine is the biggest ripoff in recent automotive history. There is no point to changing the fluid without replacing the filter. If the fluid is bad, most likely the filer is at least partially plugged.
Working at the dealers I made a ton of money off these machines. After opening my own shop I wouldn't touch one. Why? I don't rip off my customers! "Wallet Flushers" is the industry term. Feel free to buy the service if you think it suits your needs - and if you don't mind the snickering behind your back.
Old 12-27-2010, 09:53 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by crussell85
wouldn't a reverse flush be like blowing out an air filter while in the air box of the vehicle?!? I hate when people talk about flushing a transmission, I hate shops even do it. Just change the fluid and filter that you can get out of the pan and call it a day.
There is no such thing as a "reverse flush" when dealing with transmissions. The fluid only goes one direction - the machine doesn't even use a pump as it relies on the transmission pump to do it's work. Any attempt to reverse the fluid would simply blow the fluid out of the lines and into the trans pan. None of the flush machines (coolant, trans, fuel) are setup for reverse flow. Some of the chemicals are good and do a nice job of cleaning up things, but that's it.
Old 12-27-2010, 05:12 PM

Transmission flush is a rip-off.

My wife has a Honda Pilot. The Honda owner's manual is clear and states that you should NOT flush the trasnsmission fluid. The Honda dealership said if the owner feels like he must flush the transmission fluid, the only way to do it is to replace what fluid comes out when you remove the drain plug and do it four or five times between recomended oil changes. That will eventually replace all fluid in the transmission with fresh fluid.

I use the same method to chage the power steering fluid. I use a siphon pump and draw about a pint of fluid out of the power steering reservoir, without uncovering the fluid lines. I do that two or three more times in 1,000 miles. I don't want to draw too much out of the power steering fluid reservoir in order to prevent air from entering lines as would happen if remove all the fluid at once. I use the same procedure to replace the gear oil in the front and frear differential of my S10 Blazer 4WD . They do not have drain plugs. These are probably the reasons honest auto repair shops don't recommend doing it.

Last edited by MouseFink; 12-27-2010 at 05:15 PM. Reason: typo
Old 12-27-2010, 06:33 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MouseFink
The Honda owner's manual is clear and states that you should NOT flush the trasnsmission fluid.
There isn't a vehicle out there that recommends a trans or any other flush. A few, as above, print in the manual to not do it and GM as well as others have printed technical bulletins warning to not flush. That doesn't stop many shops, especially dealers, from upselling this snakeoil.
Old 12-31-2010, 12:01 AM

Here is what has worked for me for many years, on AW 70/71 transmissions. I drive the car long enough to get the trans oil hot, then disconnect the output line from the cooler and use a hose to direct the flow into a gallon jug. Start the engine and add fresh fluid at the same rate as it is pumping out into the jug - change jug when it is full, and keep going until the fluid runs bright red coming out. 8 - 12 quarts usually is plenty. Maybe I'm just lucky, but I've had no problems with not changing the filters, and these are cars I pull my tow dolly with, as well as a two-wheel tilt bed car trailer. I do this at 25 K on the cars I tow with and 50 k on my wife's commuting car. So far so good, your mileage may vary, etc.
Old 12-31-2010, 03:50 AM
sitis nam accelero

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MouseFink
My neighbor has owned and operated a transmission repair shop for about 15 years. He told me that he will not change the fluid in a transmission unless he knows the owner and the history of the transmission. If the transmission goes out after his shop changes the fluid, he will have a difficult time proving he is not liable. He felt like the minor benefits in changing the fluid is not worth the effort and expense. ...
I've worked for a few different locations that require the customer to sign a waiver if they do not have a record of the transmission service being done for liability issues. Sometimes cleaning out what was stopping a leak can cause serious problems.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.