Hot Rod Forum banner

Opinions on adding fenders to sedan delivery

2K views 32 replies 10 participants last post by  cboy 
#1 ·
After living with the finished shape of the sedan delivery body for a couple weeks now I've become convinced the rear curve of the body is too dramatic and overpowering and I need to soften the impact by adding other curves/sight lines to the car. I've been playing around with some photoshopped fenders and am about to embark on fabricating what is pictured below. Fortunately, I won't need to destroy any of the existing body lines or features by adding these fenders...so they WILL be removable should they turn out to totally mess up the impact of the car.

The fronts are simply cycle type fenders, the running board will be partially open (more like the step bar you see on newer pickups than a solid running board) and the rears will be full fenders with a panel transitioning into the rear quarter panel of the car. The first picture is how the car looks now and the photoshopped/colorized picture is my target design.

I'm interested in hearing additional opinion on whether this adds to or detracts from the original lines of the car. I personally feel this would be an improvement...but I'm not yet married to the idea. So I'm open to hearing pros and cons.

Attachments

See less See more
#27 ·
Just wanted to send a big thank-you to all of you who made suggestions and contributions in this thread. You guys obviously got me a little sidetracked with the pickup bed idea (see pic below in case you missed my other post regarding the bed construction). I think I incorporated at least a bit of each and every one of your ideas for the bed...and tomorrow I'll be starting to fab up the fenders and "running boards" - which will also have pieces here and there of all the ideas that were made in this thread.

Anyhow, just a big thanks for helping me get this far:

#31 ·
1930u said:
Did you make the headers and sidepipes?
I welded up the headers from a Patriot roadster/sprint style header kit. There's an explanation of the fabrication in my journal at entry #195 http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/journal.php?action=view&journalid=53981&page=6&perpage=5&reverse=

Just to be clear, the side pipes you see in the pictures on the Home Page are just photoshop renderings I am using to design the running boards & rear fenders. The headers and collectors in the pictures are real - but from there on back the pipe is just p-shopped. The actual parts for making the side pipes will arrive from Summit tomorrow and I'll be welding them up late tomorrow or Friday. Should have some pics of the real thing by the weekend.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.