Opinions on this motor combo - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2010, 06:37 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Opinions on this motor combo

I have a 350 SBC bored .020,flat hypereutectic pistons,stock (5.7) powdered rods,stock crank(3.484 stroke).I planned on buying AFR 190cc vortecs,lunati 60112 hydraulic roller(231/239 dur.@.050 535/550 lift and 110 lsa),comp roller rockers(1.5),rpm air gap,and holley 670 cfm.This is going in a 61 Chevy truck with 3.90 rear,TKO-600 tranny and 27" tall tires and power brakes.Truck will be used for fun/streetrod.Is this a good combo?Should I go with smaller heads/cam?Any advice is appreciated,Thanks!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2010, 06:57 AM

Last photo:

Sound great

Should work well.. I'm not sure you'll need as large an intake runner. But with as low a gear that you'll be running. It should work well. With that cam and heads the motor will really like to spin.

It may benifit from a little larger carb if you haven't purchased it yet.

Hopefully your bottom end is strong and a forged crank would be in your best interest.

Over all it seems pretty well rounded.
Well done
Old 11-07-2010, 08:26 AM

You can read in hundreds of threads on this board, "on the street, torque is king!". As such I think you would benefit from slightly smaller intake runners.

With that cam you could put 190cc of runner to use in higher rpms, but it would come at the cost of low end torque, and is that what you really want? Then again you may need more than 670cc of carburetor to hit those higher r's, and a cast crank??... I say go for the bottom end torque..

Just my .02c.. YMMV.
Old 11-07-2010, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onefunponcho
Should work well.. I'm not sure you'll need as large an intake runner. But with as low a gear that you'll be running. It should work well. With that cam and heads the motor will really like to spin.

It may benifit from a little larger carb if you haven't purchased it yet.

Hopefully your bottom end is strong and a forged crank would be in your best interest.

Over all it seems pretty well rounded.
Well done
The only thing set in stone is the block and rotating assembly.It is a stock crank with the .020 over pistons.I haven't purchased the heads or cam or carb.I wanted a solid plan BEFORE I bought anything.Would 180cc heads be better?Will the same cam work with smaller heads?This will be my first build and I would like to get it right!
Old 11-07-2010, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65smallblock
You can read in hundreds of threads on this board, "on the street, torque is king!". As such I think you would benefit from slightly smaller intake runners.

With that cam you could put 190cc of runner to use in higher rpms, but it would come at the cost of low end torque, and is that what you really want? Then again you may need more than 670cc of carburetor to hit those higher r's, and a cast crank??... I say go for the bottom end torque..

Just my .02c.. YMMV.
I believe you are right about wanting more on the bottom end.How would you prescribe to get there?Smaller heads,cam or both?This truck will be for fun,I dont want it to drive like a dragster through town;I would just like to put a few people in their place!
Old 11-07-2010, 06:18 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Thanked 1,026 Times in 858 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bosephus
The only thing set in stone is the block and rotating assembly.It is a stock crank with the .020 over pistons.
Please post the part number of the pistons.
Old 11-07-2010, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by techinspector1
Please post the part number of the pistons.
part # for the pistons is H345NCP.020. I dont have the deck height yet(pistons are not installed in block) but I am anticipating a CR of 9.7-10:1 with 64cc combustion chambers.I guesstimated the deck height at .025.Any and all advice is very much appreciated!
Old 11-07-2010, 07:17 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
The only thing set in stone is the block and rotating assembly.It is a stock crank with the .020 over pistons.I haven't purchased the heads or cam or carb.I wanted a solid plan BEFORE I bought anything.Would 180cc heads be better?Will the same cam work with smaller heads?This will be my first build and I would like to get it right!
Yes I would say that 180cc runner heads would be better for the street.

good idea setting a plan before spending money ,,,,, I wish I had enough sense to do that on all my builds
Old 11-07-2010, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onefunponcho
Yes I would say that 180cc runner heads would be better for the street.

good idea setting a plan before spending money ,,,,, I wish I had enough sense to do that on all my builds
Thanks for the reply Poncho,I was thinking the 180cc would be a better fit.Do you think I should back off the cam as well?Thanks,Bo
Old 11-08-2010, 03:45 PM

Last photo:

Your cam is dandy, as long as you keep your gears you had mentioned.........But a slightly larger carb would be of benefit. 670 cfm might be a bit short on breath in the top end.
Old 11-08-2010, 10:40 PM
Yada Yada Yada

Last photo:

You'd best measure and verify the compression height spec on those pistons.
Most likely 1.54". That requires a lot of cutting to get a "0 deck clearance"
Old 11-09-2010, 09:41 AM

Quote:
I believe you are right about wanting more on the bottom end.How would you prescribe to get there?Smaller heads,cam or both?This truck will be for fun,I dont want it to drive like a dragster through town;I would just like to put a few people in their place!
Personaly, I think your plan is fine but I would just suggest smaller runners. Even the carb should be good IMO.. I think a 750 Q-jet would also be a nice match for your purposes though. That is a lot of cam, but if you are going with a roller cam then you should be able to go a bit bigger before bottom end loss sets in. The unwritten rule for a good street cam is that it is better to be just a little smallish than too big. Looks to me like you nailed a good one! Just make sure that your springs are up to the task.

F-bird88 helped me pick my cam. I think if your cam choice was not a good one he would have told you..

G-luck with your build..

Last edited by 65smallblock; 11-09-2010 at 10:08 AM.
Old 11-10-2010, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by F-BIRD'88
You'd best measure and verify the compression height spec on those pistons.
Most likely 1.54". That requires a lot of cutting to get a "0 deck clearance"
compression height is 1.560,I was guesstimating deck height to be around .025.Compression ratio should be between 9.7-10.00:1.I've decided to go with 180cc heads ;do you think that cam I mentioned earlier is still a good choice.The next step down would be the lunati 60111,219/227 duration @.050 515/530 lift and an LSA of112.Which cam would you run?
Old 11-10-2010, 03:44 PM
Old Guys Rule!...EVERYTHING!

Last photo:

The only "issue" I have with your set-up it the rearend gear ratio 3:90 is abit steep in MHO (semi-surprised no one else has said any thing!??) I'd go no steeper then 3:73 with an idea set-up at about 3:50. Driving down the freeway with 3:90 is NOT fun!!! ...Been there! ...Good Luck!
Old 11-10-2010, 04:05 PM

afr is the best head on the market in my opinion,if u want a really good head and cam combo.ed curtis can custom grind u a cam for about 50 more than a over counter cam price.he made me a believer when my buddy has a 90 stang 302 stock internals except cam,afr heads,air gap intake.he runs 6.98 all day long and a high 10 in the 1/4 mile.he out runs strokers 331s,347s.running 410 gears threw a c4 3 speed automatic. ran a 6.37 on a 100 shot with a smaller set of afr's was 165 now he runs 185's when he changed heads ed reground him a cam,

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.