Opinions on new garage/shop - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-23-2003, 12:15 PM
Muscle car fan

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally posted by pzatchok
Nice piece of info.

I just looked up shaded pole motors and found quite a few nice sites and links. They were mainly industrial sites though.

I don't know that much about electrical motors and thought better safe than sorry. ( about the closing the holes up) I just can't see spending a few hundred on fans when you'll only use them for painting a few limited times a year. But thats just my cheap side coming out.
I'll have to go into and more detailed search for fans now maybe I can find some nice economical ones out there.
if you are adventureous (sp??) you could build one, they have a pretty simple deisgn, i have diagrams in a couple physics books
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2003, 10:06 PM
OddJob

Last photo:

If you can scan me a few Email them to me at Pzatchok@netscape.net. I would like to find out more about them no matter if I make one or not. I'm the nerd in the family, into computers, cars, guns and building anything with my hands.
Thanks alot.
Old 09-24-2003, 05:44 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Transmission identification
Last journal entry: 1988 Suburban, the project continues.
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 9

Why seal the motors?
You can mount the fans inside the ductwork and have the motors mounted outside the ductwork, pillow blocks for the blower shaft which is driven by belts from the motor.
Industrial HVAC systems require this method, the parts are relatively inexpensive, and you can build it yourself very easy.

For heating purposes, I have chosen for my dream garage, radiant floor and baseboard heat after seeing it work well around here (Freezin' da' hiney off otherwise) in the winter.

Another way to remove an ignition source is, if the paint booth ceiling is lower than the interior portion of the roof, to mount sealed clear lexan panels through the ceiling surface, and place your lighting source on top of these.

My dream garage will also have a second floor inside the first bay section for storage, as I will be eliminating two other buildings when this one goes up.
Mine will be a dream up until the point I can save the money for the concrete work which I am looking at almost $4000 just in concrete with 27 cubic yards total, most of which goes for the garage but other projects need attention too.
I would take suggestions for mine also BUT I haven't figured exactly what all I would want as of yet.
Matt.
Old 09-25-2003, 08:33 AM
Just one of the guys

Last journal entry: Garage Toys
Last photo:

When it comes to lighting in a paint booth a friend of mine has fluorescent lights mounted vertical between the studs with a clear cover over them. The only setback is on the outside wall there are a few portions that have partial insulation because of the light. The good thing is that he lost no interior space because of lights sticking out.

Kevin
Old 09-25-2003, 11:18 AM
Last photo:

Industrial motors are usually TEFC motors (totally enclosed fan cooled). At least the ones we use in the unit I work in are.

Vince
Old 09-25-2003, 11:38 AM

Last journal entry: Harley/Fire
Last photo:

Thanks for all the suggestions guys- the garage is going up, roof, crete and interior are next. Plumbing is run and I'm planning the booth. A paint booth build book I've purchased suggests angled walls between side walls and ceiling with lights mounted in them. That's my plan for now- will create a better area for mist evacuation due to the 'tunnel' effect- also the TEFC motors are the way to go- according to my brother who works in a computer build factory- cheaper then the 'explosion-proof' but safe to paint with. Last question if you know- what is best wall covering material? Besides simple sheet rock- I've been told there is an aluminum sheet covered in a paint resistant coating, some say plastic panels but I worry about solvent affect, and still others say plywood sealed and painted with a good epoxy. Any name brand products I can ask for that you know work well?? Thanks and that better do it- this thread is gettin' long!!
Old 09-26-2003, 05:01 AM
Last photo:

For walls, I would just use palin old gypboard (sheetrock), but I would seal it with something like Kilz.

Vince
Old 10-02-2003, 08:50 AM

spray booth options

just some ideas for you. i constructed my spray booth with wood frame, & hvy shelf units on one side to provide walls. menards has fireproof plastic roll $150? for 20ft. x ? it is about 6 mil thick atleast. i did the walls & ceilings & can do them at least 3 more times. i covered all framing with it before installing overhead & sidewall lights. used side sliding garage door track to make my own door. covered it all with drywall( another firebarrier), taped & painted gloss white for reflection. used whole house fan outside of exterior wall. redid frame on fan so i could put fan in chimney chase shell outside but fan belt goes thru 2 seperated layers of fireproof palstic into side chamber that hold motor in seperate environment from exhaust or booth. been spraying 2 yrs now & wife says she has never smelled paint yet. now am making drop curtain from plastic hanging from 12' overhead door track for weld - grind area to keep that dust & sparks contained. non flammable area so i used gable vent fan for this corner thru outside wall. i'm no mcquiver - got this idea from friend Brownie who has polishing shop & he uses it on his stations. Just passing it on - may be of use to someone,& fireproof is good jwart
Old 10-02-2003, 08:40 PM
Just one of the guys

Last photo:

Here is a good site showing the different booth exhaust types http://www.kargrabber.com/paint_booth/pb_gdraft.htm and a good site showing filter supplies for booths http://www.sprayshield.com/cgi-bin/h...lters-haz.html

Kevin
Old 10-02-2003, 09:56 PM
Anything with a throttle

Last photo:

My best bud does real estate..and while working on the 350 and a bottle of Jim Beam Rye he handed me a real estate listing.
After I came too I looked at the paper again...
10,000 sq. feet.....$250,000...18 foot ceilings...loading dock..Three of us are thinking about going in together!!!!
WHOA!!!!
Old 10-03-2003, 12:49 PM
Just one of the guys

Last photo:

Check this out off of one of the Corvette forums. Pretty nice.
Nice garage

Kevin
Old 10-03-2003, 01:29 PM

Wow! That is a beautiful shop, photos must have been taken after the maid left...almost to clean to want to mess up again.
I gotta go get the mop and bucket...

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.