opinions on paint removal - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-31-2012, 06:52 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

opinions on paint removal

I need some good opinions on how to strip down my camaro im not ready to do final body work and paint but im ready to install the engine and transmission and i need to paint firewall , engine bay, under body exc and i was pricing having it blasted and thought i could have the whole car blasted. around $500 to have it sand blasted or $1800 to have it soda blasted. 4 different places say they can sandblast it with out warping the sheet metal but the guy with the soda blaster say sand will destroy the car. I know sand will scar metal but how risky is it,could i have it sandblasted and leave the larger panels and just do the door jams, around windows, firewall, under body exc and i could sand the doors,roof,hood,quarters stuff like that or would it warp everything

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2012, 07:31 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchigan View Post
I need some good opinions on how to strip down my camaro im not ready to do final body work and paint but im ready to install the engine and transmission and i need to paint firewall , engine bay, under body exc and i was pricing having it blasted and thought i could have the whole car blasted. around $500 to have it sand blasted or $1800 to have it soda blasted. 4 different places say they can sandblast it with out warping the sheet metal but the guy with the soda blaster say sand will destroy the car. I know sand will scar metal but how risky is it,could i have it sandblasted and leave the larger panels and just do the door jams, around windows, firewall, under body exc and i could sand the doors,roof,hood,quarters stuff like that or would it warp everything
Chances are that if your painting the engine compartment and that it's factory paint and the fact that it's been covered (with your hood) it's in respectable shape, Clean it, scuff it (grit or whatever abrassive you use is dependent on what type of paint your going to put over top of it) and paint it. If you plan on stripping the exterior of your car you can sandblast. Be sure you get somebody that knows how to sandblast body panels without warping them. Soda blasting is less likely to damage or warp your panels but it will cost more. You can save money if you sand the car down using 80 grit on a DA. This is going to take a whole bunch of time and is messy. Another option is to chemically strip the car with paint stripper, (even more messy but does the job). You could have the jambs and areas like that blasted and doe the rest with 80 grit or stripper but it's all a matter of preference. I prefer the 80 git method because as I'm stripping I can see what I've got underneath from panel to panel. Like I say, it is a matter of preference.

If you do strip the entire car be sure to use an epoxy primer over the bare metal shortly after stripping to ensure rust doesn't become another problem.
Old 10-31-2012, 07:52 PM
Dennis W. Parks

I was going to post a reply, but 69Widetrack said what I was going to say. So, I'll merely second his motion.

Dennis W. Parks
Author of automotive how-to books
Old 10-31-2012, 08:09 PM
Nova Guru

Last photo:

Most of the time, underhood stuff can just be thoroughly cleaned/degreased and scuffed for paint. You may have a few areas you need to wire wheel and spot prime. A rust preventative primer would be good on those areas.

Its really hard to give alot of advice because I cant see the condition of your car or really know how carried away you want to get on the restoration. I think alot of people sandblast parts that could easily just be cleaned and repainted just for the sake of sandblasting.

Existing paint thats in good condition and not flaking is the best base there is IMHO.

I also agree with everything widetrack had to say
Old 10-31-2012, 08:42 PM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 27

sand everywhere

I had my model A pickup bed sandblasted and then I blew with and air hose, washed it, blew it again, I primed it then when I sprayed the color I got sand out of the cracks and into the top coat, If I do ever get around to the project pickup behing the barn I will get seam sealer to keep any sand from coming out again on the next one. I had the 29 nash roadster stripped down to seperate body panels and the guy knew what he was doing to sand blast it. I made New upper back and lower back panels and welded it all back together, replacing the old wood with steel tubing,
Old 11-01-2012, 07:52 PM

i know i could just clean and scuff the under hood an underneath but i wanted to change my cars color and it has been painted before so i want to strip the exterior so i thought i would have the hard to get to places sandblasted and just use a da sander on the rest and i want to replace the old seam sealer i just want to make sure it safe enough im kinda doin a ground up project and want to do it right
Old 11-01-2012, 08:16 PM
Nova Guru

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchigan View Post
i know i could just clean and scuff the under hood an underneath but i wanted to change my cars color and it has been painted before so i want to strip the exterior so i thought i would have the hard to get to places sandblasted and just use a da sander on the rest and i want to replace the old seam sealer i just want to make sure it safe enough im kinda doin a ground up project and want to do it right
Oh, you are referring to stuff like the insides of the top of the fenders, door jambs, trunk jamb etc. ??? Go for it. blast away. Good Plan.
Old 11-01-2012, 09:23 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by novafreek6872 View Post
Oh, you are referring to stuff like the insides of the top of the fenders, door jambs, trunk jamb etc. ??? Go for it. blast away. Good Plan.
Andy's right, your good to go...still make sure that the guy behind the sand blaster knows what he's doing.
Old 11-02-2012, 06:40 AM

Last journal entry: was hoping for better than this
Last photo:

I'd ask whom ever you are gonig to have sand blast the parts/car.. put in writing , that any panel they warp, they'll replace..
and My guess is you'll never find that,
go buy a good da and have at it..
good luck
Old 11-02-2012, 07:23 AM
Nova Guru

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.Furgal View Post
I'd ask whom ever you are gonig to have sand blast the parts/car.. put in writing , that any panel they warp, they'll replace..
and My guess is you'll never find that,
go buy a good da and have at it..
good luck
I think he just wants to blast the PITA areas... he was going to DA the body panels, far as I could tell

Hell, IDK, I'm confused at this point!! LOL
Old 11-02-2012, 08:30 PM

yeah your right novafreak i just want to take some of the work out if the paint prep and blasting the hard to sand place will help tons and i might as well have the under body and firewall done while i have it in the shop seams to make since but i dont know thats why im asking and the sand would be alot cheaper than the soda

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.