opinions on painting my truck - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-24-2011, 09:58 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

opinions on painting my truck

so recently i bought a new daily driver, i got a 94 dodge 2500 4x4 with a cummins and a 5 speed. its a pretty decent truck, reliable, somewhat fun to drive and great mpg but it is a dman ugly truck. iv really been wanting to paint it matte black but i really am not sure which route to go. i could spray apint it myself or i got a quote from a shop for 400 bucks for a tape and spray. either way ilkl have to do some body work and get it all preped up myself so im really leaning towards just painting it myself. the truck cost me 5,000 bucks and i really was paying for the drivetrain, never been much on dodges so im not sure if this truck is really worth even 400 bucks worth of paint.

i guess im just looking for opinions on 2 things, 1: with a matte black paint job will anyone even notice that i payed for a "real" paint job? its just matte black, right? and 2: whats a good spray paint to use, im definitely not going to use something crapy, i was reading on asome forums here and there about eastwood flat black primer being a good choice for drag cars, muscle cars, ect. what do you guys think?

heres what she looks like right now, it looks ok in pics but the paint is really rough, its just peeling everywhere, half the hood is bare, it has freckles everywhere. it looks like a beet up construction truck with a lift kit... really not my style.

its an ok looking truck(cant get too excited over a dodge lol), i really wanted to do a black and red theme to match the chevy, i think the flat black would look cool against my red crossover steering setup.

wish i could still be driving the chevy but i cant afford too so its tie to get the dodge a little more my style.

old daily driver

new

Advertisement

Last edited by chevy1500z71; 05-24-2011 at 10:04 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2011, 10:13 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

Put the Cummins in the OBS and call it a day. Between the 12v/NV-4500 and some parts from a 2500 Chevy with an NV-4500, you can make it bolt in
Old 05-24-2011, 11:17 PM

Last photo:

It is all opinion, but I don't see too many flat or matte finishes getting a lot of respect or winning car shows. On a rat rod it is a bit different than a new(er) truck. If you like the look, go for it, but it sure isn't something I would do.

Good spray paint to use? Well, none of it. If you are going to do the body work, why not spray real automotive paint on it? A harbor freight spray gun and the cheapest urethane SS and primer will run you around $250. I have sprayed a few vehicles with Restoration Shop from TCPGlobal with really nice results and looks better than the factory paint (less orange peel and defects, most factory paint jobs are really lacking), and although I do not know how well is stands up in the long term, I can guarantee it will last longer than anything out of a spray can. It runs around $100 a gallon as kit (with reducer and hardener), which is plenty to do the truck. Add another $100 for primer and $50 for the gun and you are set. Of course, you will need a respirator, a decent compressor with dry air, sandpaper, blocks, wax and grease remover, etc. There is a lot that goes into it besides just the primer and paint.

I painted a car last year with a brush and house paint. They wanted a $25 paint job and it lasted about a year before rusting through. I didn't tape anything off, but I did remove the headlights and taillights beforehand. You do get what you pay for and what I listed above is about as cheap as you can go and expect any decent quality finish.

I have loaned out my paint booth and equipment to people before (under close supervision, of course) to paint their cars, and sometimes I will spray it for them if they do all the prep. I see you are in florida, but if you ask around someone may be able to help you do it right. I would hate to see another rusted out dodge!
Old 05-24-2011, 11:41 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad4321
It is all opinion, but I don't see too many flat or matte finishes getting a lot of respect or winning car shows. On a rat rod it is a bit different than a new(er) truck. If you like the look, go for it, but it sure isn't something I would do.

Good spray paint to use? Well, none of it. If you are going to do the body work, why not spray real automotive paint on it? A harbor freight spray gun and the cheapest urethane SS and primer will run you around $250. I have sprayed a few vehicles with Restoration Shop from TCPGlobal with really nice results and looks better than the factory paint (less orange peel and defects, most factory paint jobs are really lacking), and although I do not know how well is stands up in the long term, I can guarantee it will last longer than anything out of a spray can. It runs around $100 a gallon as kit (with reducer and hardener), which is plenty to do the truck. Add another $100 for primer and $50 for the gun and you are set. Of course, you will need a respirator, a decent compressor with dry air, sandpaper, blocks, wax and grease remover, etc. There is a lot that goes into it besides just the primer and paint.

I painted a car last year with a brush and house paint. They wanted a $25 paint job and it lasted about a year before rusting through. I didn't tape anything off, but I did remove the headlights and taillights beforehand. You do get what you pay for and what I listed above is about as cheap as you can go and expect any decent quality finish.

I have loaned out my paint booth and equipment to people before (under close supervision, of course) to paint their cars, and sometimes I will spray it for them if they do all the prep. I see you are in florida, but if you ask around someone may be able to help you do it right. I would hate to see another rusted out dodge!
flat black is definitely what i want just because a truck like this is one that it function over looks, and flat black doesnt show grime and dirt like gloss does and it still looks really cool imo, fits this old turd box perfectly imo.

the problem i have is i cant really do a job with a spray gun in my driveway, there would be too much over spray on the neighbors cars. do i NEED a makeshift paint booth or can i do it outside, i can use my buddys house but any type of a booth would be out of the question.
Old 05-24-2011, 11:45 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt167
Put the Cummins in the OBS and call it a day. Between the 12v/NV-4500 and some parts from a 2500 Chevy with an NV-4500, you can make it bolt in
iv already swapped in a supercharged 355, nv4500, np241 and a 14 bolt rear end on the chevy. just need a dana 60 front for it and itl be done.

chevys staying just how it is. down the road iv been thinking about swapping a cab and bed from an older chevy truck onto the dodge frame but for now i just need to get the dodge looking decent... i mean really its embarrassing if i had to take a date in this truck lol. i just want it to be overall decent looking. these aren't my toy trucks(well the chevy has become that at this point), im 20 years old, these are all iv got lol. one needs to be decent.
Old 05-25-2011, 01:38 AM

Last photo:

I have painted outside on many occasions. Overspray is an issue if you have close neighbors, but I haven't got any measurable overspray on my own vehicles 20 or so feet away...but that isn't something I would even think about for someone elses car. Building a quick paint booth would be the best bet no matter which option you go with. A carport with plastic sides would be real quick, but some 2x4's and plastic sheeting can get you painting in half a day.

I understand what you are getting at, but I still think anything short of urethane will leave you disappointed, regardless of what color/gloss you go with. I was in my teens/early twentys once too. There isn't anything remotely durable that comes out of a rattle can. The new urethanes are very stout, pretty much the toughest thing on the market.

When I ran in the bogs years back, I shot my trucks with gloss white enamel. Never had any rust, loss of gloss, or really any damage directly to the paint, and I was far from easily on them. Most around here locally did the rattle can paint job..every weekend. I painted mine once, and this is a farily recent picture. The paint is about 15 years old now and still looks about as good as they day it was sprayed. For just a bit more effort, I had a lasting paint job.

I don't run in the bogs anymore, but all of my work trucks now are painted bc/cc. The paint holds up to common work truck damage, dragging chains, backing into them, etc (can't hardly trust employees...). Black is a hard color to keep nice regardless, but without using a high quality paint (such as urethane, or even enamel with hardener), you don't stand a chance.
Old 05-25-2011, 04:23 AM

Last journal entry: Body mods
Last photo:

How about a rattle can camo job. I have seen some how to articles in 4x4 magazines that turned out pretty good
Old 07-18-2011, 02:47 PM

Last photo:

well thanks for all the input guys. i ordered my stuff to paint the truck, i ordered 3 quarts of kirker hot rod black urethane and then i ordered this cheesy spray gun to spray it with http://www.preval.com/

so i got 50 bucks in the sprayer with 5 earisol recharge things and 70 bucks on the paint. so i figure after i get all the sandpaper and primer ill be done for 200 bucks or so.

im pretty sure they used that cheesy sprayer on an episode of trucks to paint a jeep with, it looked like it came out pretty good. any means of applying a urethane paint is gonna beat any other options so ill give it a shot. theres no way i can use a compressor and gun in the front yard with no makeshift paint booth or anything, too much over spray on the neighbors cars... i miss living back home with a separate garage and backyard lol. 0 lot line sucks.

Last edited by chevy1500z71; 07-18-2011 at 02:54 PM.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.