Opinions please. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2007, 08:47 PM
Analog man in a digital world.

Last journal entry: HEI comparison.
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Opinions please.

The weather was pretty decent this weekend and I finally got back in the garage and out in the backyard. The snow drift around my truck is all but gone so I was crawling around it getting reacquainted with the old girl. I was trying to figure out where I was going to mount my aftermarket gauges and it hit me that it wouldn't be that hard to make a custom instrument panel using aftermarket gauges to replace the factory POS. The only thing is I will have to use mismatched gauges for awhile, probably QUITE awhile, because that's what I have and a full set of new gauges just isn't in the budget right now. I'm talking speedo, tach, water temp, oil press, oil temp, fuel level, voltmeter, vacuum and air/fuel ratio. It would be a mixture of Sun, Sunpro and Autometer and a couple different styles of the Sunpro and Autometer but they are all fairly similar, the biggest difference is that some will have white needles and some red/orange. I already have a tach, oil pressure, wtaer temp, oil temp, and voltmeter. I also have an ammeter but don't plan on using it. I'm going to have to use an electronic speedo which sucks because I have a NIB S-W mechanical speedo. Bidding on a used Autometer elc. speedo right now but will probably get sniped.

Now keep in mind this is a low budget project and 90% of the parts are "previously owned" at best, some are downright used. This is no show truck, it will be a "20 Footer" driver with lots and lots of "character" that may hit a cruise night occasionally. It's a base model '89 Cheyenne C1500 shortbed Sportside with plain gray interior and rubber floor mat and it's getting painted "Black Gray" (that's what it says on the container ) 2 part urethane because it's dark enough I won't have to disassemble half the truck to paint it as it is black now and I got 15 gallons of it for free.

So just how "redneck" do you think having a hodge podge of gauges will look? My truck is too new to claim it's a "rat rod" otherwise I wouldn't worry about it.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2007, 09:00 PM

Last wiki edit: Building a new shop
Last journal entry: Christmas 2008 came early!!!
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 54

I wouldn't figure that it would be redneck at all, but then again, I'm 99.995% redneck. So what do I know???

In a while, Chet.
Old 03-11-2007, 09:03 PM
Lost in the 60's

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

I think it will look alright...go for it.
Old 03-11-2007, 09:42 PM

Last photo:

Thanks guys, FYI I won the speedometer!
Old 03-11-2007, 10:04 PM

Last photo:

If any body calls you a redneck for having a custom dash just show them this picture and say "I am not a redneck He is"
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	richard[1].jpg
Views:	91
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	19375  
Old 03-12-2007, 02:05 AM
Just one of the guys

Last journal entry: Garage Toys
Last photo:

Hey Hippie....I don't know if you ever get over to the '67-'72 Truck site, but check the build on this truck. It's a little '92 Stepside and everything has been changed around. Towards the end of the pages he did a dash swap. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=140448

Kevin
Old 03-12-2007, 05:11 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin45
Hey Hippie....I don't know if you ever get over to the '67-'72 Truck site, but check the build on this truck. It's a little '92 Stepside and everything has been changed around. Towards the end of the pages he did a dash swap. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=140448

Kevin

Ah man! You're killin' me Kev, you're killin' me! I see stuff like that and I start getting "ideas" and I have too many of those now. That is one sweet truck.
Old 03-12-2007, 05:57 AM

Last journal entry: Shop Remodel Progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippie

So just how "redneck" do you think having a hodge podge of gauges will look? My truck is too new to claim it's a "rat rod" otherwise I wouldn't worry about it.
"Rat" and "Redneck" are just states of mind...go for it and don't worry..the main thing is get it on the road and have fun in it while we can still barely afford the fuel!
Old 03-12-2007, 07:00 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambo_The_Dog
get it on the road and have fun in it while we can still barely afford the fuel!
I hear that! Besides, I'm the one that's going to be staring at them all the time, I guess as long as I can live with it that's all that really matters.
Old 03-12-2007, 08:36 PM

Last journal entry: 52 truck
Last photo:

I wouldnt sweat it Hippie.

As long as they read accurate thats all that matters. Yer Like me, Not going for a Barrett auction, but want it to look decent. HG

[url]http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/journal.php?action=view&journalid=2415[/url]

Hemmies rat journal below.

[url]http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/journal.php?s=f6d0e9c7fec644bb0a70761c0431939b&journalid=84231&action=view[/url]
Old 03-12-2007, 08:58 PM

Last photo:

Thanks HG, I just muddied the waters a little more by buying an Autogage 2-5/8" fuel level gauge, except for the name it's a dead ringer for my Sunpro gauges. Now if I can just find room for a VDO and a couple Stewart Warners...............

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.