Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Body - Exterior (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/body-exterior/)
-   -   opinions wanted (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/opinions-wanted-402.html)

Lightspeed 10-04-2002 06:12 PM

opinions wanted

i wanted to put some tailights in the rear fenders on my 71 chevy stepside. does anyone have any suggestions? like what styles will look good on this truck.

Halloweenking 10-04-2002 08:49 PM

depends on how crazy you want to get, how good a bodyman you are and also the theme or look your going for. I've seen the old teardrop ford lights, mustang lights, caddy lights, chevy sighns, newer chevy tails. the old caddy bullet tails. You name it I've seen or done it.

Give me some information on what look your trying to acomplish with the truck and I'll tell you what would be a great asset to it.

HK

Lightspeed 10-04-2002 09:46 PM

basically the truck will be stock, maybe a rear roll pan with exhaust cutouts and a third brake light on the cab. besides that basically stock. i like the look of the 40 ford tailights.

Halloweenking 10-04-2002 09:55 PM

Well then buy a set and put them in if you like them ,you answerd your own question :p

If you need help installing them let me know and I'll help :D

HK

Lightspeed 10-04-2002 11:17 PM

Halloweenking 10-04-2002 11:22 PM

Lightspeed good buddy, I used to have a 4x4 '72. If your going to use those tails I'd advise you getting two sets for visability. Mount them/french them staggard beside eachother, they will look great!

HK :D

Lightspeed 10-04-2002 11:29 PM

visibility is the main reason i was going for the third brake light. anyways how much would it cost to have them frenched?

Halloweenking 10-04-2002 11:33 PM

If you can weld, absolutly nothing. You can get sheetmetal buckets for them the same place you get the lights. Weld them in and do some grinding and slap some filler to smooth and prime and paint and your set!

HK

helrazr3 10-05-2002 05:12 AM

my buddy had a 75 stepside that was chopped and he used gremlin tail lights i know it sounds wierd but they looked like they belonged there. They were mounted sideways. :cool:

Lightspeed 10-05-2002 07:39 AM

anybody know of a place where i can get some tail lights? jc whitney has the style i like but they aren't DOT legal.

Halloweenking 10-05-2002 12:16 PM

try mooneyes.

HK

pasadenahotrod 10-05-2002 09:10 PM

Good friend used Corvette taillamps in the stepside fenders, must have been from 70's. He used 2 on each side, one above the other tipped over on their sides. had to make a small rubber wedge spacer so they mounted correctly. I seem to remember there was some weird thing about the light socket assemblies, he bought the lights and sockets over-the-counter at the downtown Chevy dealer in Houston. had to silicone the backs of the lights where the sockets plugged in to eliminate drowning problems since on vette they are inside.
Man, they looked cool. Everywhere he went people asked him about those lights. It was about a 77 black short wb, short box 1/2ton stepside, with inline six and auto, had cragars and radials. Somebody in town is still driving it I'm sure.

lennyb 10-07-2002 06:38 AM

seen a 69'that had 66 cadiliac tail light molded in -sharp!!