Optima Batteries - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-20-2004, 10:08 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Optima Batteries

I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on my question I have seen that the batterie on my car loose some of its juice since I bought and I heard about optima batteries If anyone has anything to say in favor of them please dont hesitate in posting Thank you in abvance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2004, 10:15 PM
'68 Chevelle Malibu Sedan

Last photo:

Well, there are three varieties.

The OPTIMA® is like no other battery found in today's market. OPTIMA's unique Spiralcell design offers the greatest technology in providing a strong and clean power source that far surpasses any of today's filled lead/acid batteries. With OPTIMA under your hood, you can count on a longer lasting battery life under starting and deep cycle applications. Today's power demand from cars, trucks, and SUVs are greater than ever. Over the course of the century we have upgraded and customized our vehicles in such a way never imagined by early engineers. There continue to be

more lights, LCD screens, gaming systems, stereos, laptops, and cell phones going into cars, all demanding a greater power source. OPTIMA can provide all the power needed to run these power pulling vehicles. OPTIMA batteries always has safety in mind, with its spill-proof case it helps to ensure the safety of the environment, your family and you. Powerful, 2x longer-life, safety, spill-proof, vibration resistance, multi-position installation whether you're working, driving cross country or for just play, let OPTIMA help you maintain the power demands you require.

The OPTIMA RedTop

The looks alone generate plenty of buzz. But it's the patented SPIRALCELL® Technology in OPTIMA RedTop batteries that's truly worthy of praise. OPTIMA RedTop batteries are built to withstand the abuse Trucks, SUV's and 4x4's experience on and off-road. SPIRALCELL Technology immobilizes the internal components of the battery, enabling OPTIMA batteries to withstand incredible amounts of vibration.

Vehicles modified for better engine performance demand more from a battery. OPTIMA batteries withstand the high underhood temperatures associated with these Performance vehicles. The sealed cells make the battery spill-proof, even if you install it on its side! This prevents external gassing and leaking which can damage engine components and limit battery performance.

If your battery is used in vehicles that demand extra reliability and performance, or if you just take pride in getting the best performance out of your vehicle, OPTIMA RedTop batteries deliver the performance you demand.

The OPTIMA YellowTop

Demand more from your vehicle? Then get more from your battery. OPTIMA YellowTop batteries are made for the extremes. If you have an extreme vehicle, you expect high performance. Whether your vehicle is made to take the abuse of off-road driving or cranking out decibels, you need more from your battery. OPTIMA batteries with patented SPIRALCELL® Technology deliver that performance. The deep cycle characteristic of this technology coupled with its extreme resistance to vibration provides performance vehicles with the repetitive power they need in a spill-proof package.

If your vehicle has a lot of accessories like running lights, high-performance stereo/AV system, winches, or hydraulics, your vehicle demands more from its battery. OPTIMA YellowTOP batteries provide the extra performance and deep cycling capability that your vehicle demands.

The OPTTIMA BlueTop

The OPTIMA® BlueTop battery will keep you on the water longer. Its patented SPIRALCELL® Technology means more running time, faster recharge, and up to twice the life of traditional marine and RV batteries.

Vibration Resistant

The OPTIMA® is over 15 times more resistant to vibration than other batteries. The constant vibration and jarring from waves can be deadly for traditional marine batteries. The tightly wound construction in OPTIMA® batteries minimizes plate movement and subsequent damage caused by harsh conditions - extending battery life.

Nonspillable/Maintenance Free

The OPTIMA® is spill-proof and maintenance free. Because of its completely sealed case, OPTIMA® batteries are extremely safe. Acid can't leak or spill, making them clean, user-friendly and environmentally sound. In addition, the maintenance free sealed case design eliminates the need to add water or clean terminals. OPTIMA® Blue Top batteries are spill proof, so they can be mounted anyplace inside a boat or RV, in almost any position.

Hope that helps (sorry for the longness of my post)
Old 10-20-2004, 10:23 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: 36 Ford painting
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

My buddy that's helping me build my coupe has bought 4 or 5 of them for projects he's worked on, he's had problems with 2. They made good on the warranty, keep your paperwork. Dan
Old 10-21-2004, 06:27 AM

Last journal entry: JB's 37 Pickup
Last photo:

I like the Optima battery because I have them installed inside my vehicles. No fumes or corrosion to contend with. You need to read the fine print with these batteries, mainly do not exceed 2 amps per hr recharge rate when one dies. I, like Dinger had one go bad early and it was a no hassle replacement. 20/20 hindsight says I killed it because I used high recharge rates on it. The recharging was because I was using it to periodically crank my motor while the rest of the vehicle was being built and the charger was the only charging it received. By the way, I recommend the Yellow Top because of the deep cycle design handles the continuous low voltage drain of sound systems and fuel injection, and the longer periods of sitting around that many of our rods experience.

Trees
Old 10-21-2004, 12:26 PM

HEY VICK:

I have two of them in service. The first one I bought was a 6 Volt unit for my 1954 Chrysler. The problem I was having was that the lead acid was self discharging because I didn't drive the car all of the time. The Optima does not self discharge so it had a much longer storage life. It also appeared to have more cranking power and was less than half the size and weight of the lead acid unit. I also put on in my street rod because I have a constant hot start problem and the Optima has more cranking power and works better. I feel they are worth the money even though they are more dollars on initial purchase. They have a three year no questions asked warranty....DAVE
Old 10-21-2004, 10:41 PM

Thanks for the really helpful reply's to my question. Now for sure I will go out and get one or two of them to put them to the test.

Is there a difference on which top I choose or is the yellow top ideal for everyday car with a bit of miles, ect... Sorry for the second question. but thx to all
Old 10-22-2004, 05:18 AM
Last photo:

Bought a red top for my street rod. While the car is under construction I am keeping the Optima topped off with a Battery Tender. My wife's ole 97 Tahoe quite a while ago quit due to a dead battery. I carried the Optima to where she was and placed it in the Tahoe...man did it spin it over. Great battery, best I have had to date, highly recommend them.

Vince
Old 10-24-2004, 11:02 AM
Fix the cigarette lighter....

As with all batteries, you need to go oout and start the car every now and then to recharge it...

I have heard a lot of good things about the Optima baterries. I a going to use one on my next project.

Did you say you battery was draining just sitting in the car? Is this over a short or long period of time?
Old 10-24-2004, 01:18 PM

Yeah a while back if I let the car sit for more than a day I would find the batterie completely dead I soon figured out that it was a cable that was in contact with the batterie so as soon as i found the problem that was the end of that but since then the car hasnt been the same maybe the batterie will fix I ordered on on friday. Cant wait until I get it

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.