Optima battery permanent damage? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-29-2013, 07:29 PM

Last journal entry: Grille
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Optima battery permanent damage?

I bought red top battery years ago and I guess it died and was left without being charged in a car for a bit. Since then it just wont hold charge like it should(damaged cells?) I've charged it numerous times and left it on trickle charger but I took a load tester and it just dies under load tester.
Is there way to bring it back to like of should I just stick with lead battery?
I think optimas are overrated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2013, 07:37 PM

Last photo:

You might be able to get it to take a charge by connecting in parallel with a regular lead battery, then connect both to your charger....good luck.
Old 03-29-2013, 07:38 PM

If it wont hold a charge, it is dead.
Old 03-29-2013, 07:43 PM

Last photo:

It is holding a charge, however if I try to start a car with it and keep cranking for a few times it will loose charge. It shows as being fully charged according to multimeter but as soon as I put load tester on it, it will start to die.
Old 03-29-2013, 07:44 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry123 View Post
You might be able to get it to take a charge by connecting in parallel with a regular lead battery, then connect both to your charger....good luck.
Anything special I should do or just hook up to regular 12V battery charger?
Old 03-29-2013, 07:54 PM

Last photo:

Just regular charger, the problem with the optima batt is the voltage comes up before it takes a good charge which backs down your charger, jumping with a regular batt will keep the charger working. I brought mine back this way, I put charger on 2 amp setting and left it overnight.
Old 03-29-2013, 07:56 PM

Last photo:

My charger is not automatic so it will charge until battery blows up if I forget to unplug it
I will try to parallel charge it, hopefully it does work.
Old 04-15-2013, 06:32 PM

Last journal entry: Odds and Ends
Last photo:

I have a 12V yellow top Optima that reads 3.8V and refuses to take a charge. Is it salvagable? I've tried the good 12V battery in parallel trick with no success.
Old 04-16-2013, 07:06 AM
T-Bucket, Corvette, Mustang

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Take a look at the Optima website - plenty of info on how to revive these batteries.

I have used a Ctek 3300 to pull these batteries back to life. Before giving up, it might be worth finding a shop that has the right charger to try and charge it for you.
Old 04-16-2013, 08:05 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cucumber1949 View Post
Take a look at the Optima website - plenty of info on how to revive these batteries.

I have used a Ctek 3300 to pull these batteries back to life. Before giving up, it might be worth finding a shop that has the right charger to try and charge it for you.

Thanks. I had been using a slightly different technique than described. I'll give it a try again. My smart charger is comparable to the Ctek you use.
Old 04-19-2013, 02:50 PM
Vendor

Hello, I noticed your conversation involving our batteries and wanted to offer some assistance. mitmaks, how long ago did you buy your battery, how long did you leave it sitting in a discharged state and what was the voltage when you measured it with your multimeter after fully-charging it? hduff, how long has your battery been sitting at 3.8 volts?

The parallel charging technique everyone is mentioning is explained in this video- Tech Tips 3: How do I recover a deeply-discharged battery? - YouTube The issue is that some chargers will not recognize or deliver current to any battery that has been discharged below a minimum voltage threshold, typically around 10.5 volts. To add to the confusion, some chargers will turn on and operate for a brief period of time, but shut off if voltage doesn't reach a certain level within a certain timeframe. That can make folks believe the charger did charge the battery, even if that wasn't the case. The parallel charging technique allows those chargers to see the voltage level of the fully-charged battery (it doesn't matter if it's flooded or AGM) and then deliver current to the deeply-discharged battery.

Jim McIlvaine
eCare Manager, OPTIMA Batteries, Inc.
OPTIMA® Batteries (optimabatteries) on Pinterest
Old 04-19-2013, 03:28 PM

Last photo:

I used the parallell charge technique on a yellow-top that had been sitting discharged at 4 volts for about a year. I'm using a Schumacher SSC-1500A charger and can only get the battery up to 12.0 volts. Any hope for my 5yo Optima battery?
Old 04-19-2013, 04:09 PM
Last photo:

Testing with a multimeter will tell you nothing unless you check the voltage when it is under a load as in cranking. Willing to bet the voltage falls way off during cranking. The battery is dead, move on. FWIW I also think Optima batteries are over rated.

Vince
Old 04-19-2013, 07:23 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimaJim View Post
Hello, I noticed your conversation involving our batteries and wanted to offer some assistance. mitmaks, how long ago did you buy your battery, how long did you leave it sitting in a discharged state and what was the voltage when you measured it with your multimeter after fully-charging it? hduff, how long has your battery been sitting at 3.8 volts?

The parallel charging technique everyone is mentioning is explained in this video- Tech Tips 3: How do I recover a deeply-discharged battery? - YouTube The issue is that some chargers will not recognize or deliver current to any battery that has been discharged below a minimum voltage threshold, typically around 10.5 volts. To add to the confusion, some chargers will turn on and operate for a brief period of time, but shut off if voltage doesn't reach a certain level within a certain timeframe. That can make folks believe the charger did charge the battery, even if that wasn't the case. The parallel charging technique allows those chargers to see the voltage level of the fully-charged battery (it doesn't matter if it's flooded or AGM) and then deliver current to the deeply-discharged battery.

Jim McIlvaine
Jim, thanks for taking the time to help, great customer service. I have been satisfied with my optima and plan on buying another for my next ride.
Old 04-23-2013, 01:14 PM
Vendor

Larry, I'm happy to offer assistance wherever I can. Vince, while a load test would be ideal for any battery, most folks may not have the ability or equipment to perform a load test. Even some of those who do have the ability to load-test a battery fail to first attempt to properly-recharge the battery, resulting in a false result. However, anyone can pick up a $12 multimeter and determine what the state of charge is on their battery. That is a great place to start, as many “bad” batteries returned under warranty are just deeply-discharged and work fine, when properly-recharged. We just dropped 100 of those returned batteries into Chumpcars last weekend at Road America and they worked great in some very demanding applications.

Jim McIlvaine

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.