Hot Rod Forum banner

Optimal Driveline Combination

989 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  juxtoposed 
#1 ·
I have a 66 Chevy C-10 Pickup. It has a 327 w/ double hump heads. The previous owner has installed a 270~280 cam (not sure of the specs) with headers. It has a 650 Carter AFB carb. It currently has a 2 speed powerglide with a 3:08 rearend setup. The tires are 255R70/15 (29"). I am not happy with the current transmission performance. I was contemplating swapping in a 700R4 transmission because the current powerglide transmission shifts into high gear very quickly and there is very little low end torque. I think that the quick shifting maybe due to vacuum difference caused by the heavier cam shaft. I am a little concerned that the 3.08 rearend may be too tall and counter productive with the 700R4. I know enough to get me into trouble. I was wondering if someone could give me some guidance that has or has seen a similar setup and can attest to the performace. I welcome all recommendations and any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

[ August 26, 2002: Message edited by: rickharris ]

[ August 26, 2002: Message edited by: rickharris ]

[ August 26, 2002: Message edited by: rickharris ]</p>

#2 ·
the 700 has like a 3.05 first gear ratio, so the acceleration off the line will be much improved over the glide, plus you will have overdrive to boot. sometimes the first gear becomes too low with low rear end gears and a 200r4 becomes the better trans because of the better ratios. but in a heavy street car a 700 usually works good. They both can be made decent for a little money (350hp) or excellent if you want to spend alot of money(700-900hp). Fast, reliable, cheap, pick any two.

good luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.