Optimum LSA for Strip oriented SBC - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2012, 09:15 AM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by monzter
Do you guys have any oppinion about this solid roller cam i have ?
Would it be an improvement over what i have in it now ? Or should i go with narrower Lsa ?
the cam you listed isnt a solid roller, but a solid flat tappet. There's a little too much exhaust duration and the LSA is too wide for starters.

A cam designed for your combo will probably not resemble the one you have at all, and you'd probably pick up 25+hp AND better street manners.

A wide LSA can help cover up using the wrong cam, but the right cam MAY have a narrower LSA than you'd expect. Optimal LSA can vary widely according to engine build and use, some street cams are in the 106 range and some race cams are in the 116 range and the exact opposite is true as well.

For your combo a 110 LSA is a safe ball park (and common on shelf cams) and optimal will probably be between 108-111.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2012, 12:57 PM
Yada Yada Yada

Last photo:

If you want to use that cam wether optimum or not, just install it, degree it in so you know the cam timing events and then move it (advance-retard the cam) as required till the car ET's the best its going to.

Install it on a 102 intake C/L and move it back a bit at a time till it works the best.

I suggest:

102 to 108 intake C/L.
The engine does not care about theory or opinions.

Finding the optimum intake valve closing point is the most critical factor
You etablish that by trial and error testing

The car will show you what it likes. Then you will have a opinion you can share here.
Old 01-25-2012, 03:33 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap72
the cam you listed isnt a solid roller, but a solid flat tappet. There's a little too much exhaust duration and the LSA is too wide for starters.

A cam designed for your combo will probably not resemble the one you have at all, and you'd probably pick up 25+hp AND better street manners.

A wide LSA can help cover up using the wrong cam, but the right cam MAY have a narrower LSA than you'd expect. Optimal LSA can vary widely according to engine build and use, some street cams are in the 106 range and some race cams are in the 116 range and the exact opposite is true as well.

For your combo a 110 LSA is a safe ball park (and common on shelf cams) and optimal will probably be between 108-111.

Hello

The part # at least says it's a SR cam # 12-000-9 Refers to a Custom Solid Roller Camshaft ground on Billet core for SBC.
Would this 114 LSA cam be well suited for nitrous usage ?
I think it was ground originally for Stroker SBC with mini blower on it.

F-Bird88 Thanks for your input in my thread. you suggest i should install it on 102 ICL that would be 12° advanced if i'm correct ? if the original ICL is 110° !

Best regards.
Old 01-25-2012, 04:43 PM
Yada Yada Yada

Last photo:

yep this is where you start tuning.

The car will show you what is best.

Lock out the distributor advance curve (to eliminate that as a variable and to maximize the launch) (36deg BTDC)

If you try to come up with some preconceived notion, you will get it wrong.

You will learn 100 times more by doing it than asking questions or looking for opinions. ( and go faster too.)

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.