Options Options - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2006, 03:22 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Options Options

Hey fellas,
I have a 73 vette with the stock 350 sb. I have added an Edelbrock performer intake and 650 cfm carb + ceramic coated headers. I have approx $3K that I would like to put into her this winter. This is what I was considering but I would value any input. Thanks.

Edelbrock Aluminum Heads Approx. $1,000
Add A/C ?????
New Cam $150
HEI dist w/ mechanical tac $400
Aluminum Radiator $450

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2006, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffcagle34
Hey fellas,
I have a 73 vette with the stock 350 sb. I have added an Edelbrock performer intake and 650 cfm carb + ceramic coated headers. I have approx $3K that I would like to put into her this winter. This is what I was considering but I would value any input. Thanks.

Edelbrock Aluminum Heads Approx. $1,000
Add A/C ?????
New Cam $150
HEI dist w/ mechanical tac $400
Aluminum Radiator $450
If you can do the work, I would recommend a built 383 stroker short block, your choice of flat tappet cam installed and degreed. This will cost about $2300. Add the aluminum heads and distributor and you will be over your target of $3,000.

I run a stock brass BB 4 core radiator and a Permacool 16" electric fan on my '76 'vette without problems.
Old 08-16-2006, 07:30 PM

Thanks glen. I just want to work a little on the top end right now although I have considered a stroker for awhile now.

Further fine tuned my list:

Edelbrock Performer RPM Aluminum heads
???????????????64 or 70cc???????????????
(73 vette came with 8.5:1 comp ratio)

Comp Cam Magnum 280H Hydraulic flat tappet
?????????????too big?? should I just go with the 270H?????
I want it to be strong but I do not want vaccum problems.

Scratch the aluminum radiator at this time.

Thanks for reading and any input and/or affirmation on my plan.
Old 08-16-2006, 09:44 PM
http://teamrfc.gospelcom.net

Last photo:

The performer RPM heads are not a bad choice for you, they should perform pretty well. I realize that this is spending money twice, but I think a performer RPM intake would work alot better with those heads and the cam you are looking at. The performer is not bad, it is just more for lower end power than the cam that you are looking at and what the heads are capeable of doing. If you were going to go with the performer RPM heads, I would try to duplicate the crate motor below. The cam is a little larger than the one that you are looking at, but edelbrock claims that it should still provide good vacuum for accessories. In any case, I would stay away from the single pattern cams. If you like comp, I would consider the XE274H (230 236 @.050 .490 lift). Also, with the edelbrock cam, I would run a 2500 stall minimum. Do you know what the combustion chamber volume is on the heads that you have now? With the aluminum heads, you could get away with 10:1+ compression, so I would recommend the smallest chamber that you can, and mabye even getting the new heads milled to 58cc if they would allow for that, but you better check into seeing if the heads can be milled like that first. If you are at 64cc now and you went to a set of 58cc heads, you would be looking at 9:1 which would be closer to that crate motor.

Here is the crate motor
http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/store...tegoryId=10763

Here is the cam that is in that motor that makes 410 hp and 408 ft lbs
http://www.martelbrothers.com/catalo...ID-p-7148.html

Last thing, if you can hold on for the radiator, and spend $1450 on a set of heads, I would very highly recommend the AFR 180cc heads. They come fully ported from AFR which significantly increases their ability to make power.

Adam

Last edited by firestone; 08-16-2006 at 10:01 PM.
Old 08-17-2006, 02:18 PM

Thank you for the input. What would make the AFR heads better than the Edelbrock? Fully ported?
Old 08-17-2006, 02:25 PM

Last photo:

www.araoengineering.com baddest heads ever. ,lot of money
Old 08-17-2006, 02:56 PM
http://teamrfc.gospelcom.net

Last photo:

Porting is the main part of it, the more the heads flow, given the same size, the more power you can make, assuming that there is not something else wrong with the heads. The AFR 180's are 10cc larger than the performer RPM's, but they would still match your combo very well. On top of that AFR has just redesigned their heads and they are much better than they used to be and they were very good before. Below is some info on AFR as a company, and an article about the new heads. Also there are some provided flow numbers for the old heads. AFR makes a street ported head and a competition head. The street heads are $1450 a set and the Comp heads are $2000 a set. They say that the new street heads flow what the old comp heads did. Also, there are some flow numbers for the Performer RPM heads. This may not be an exactly head to head comparason since they were flowed on different benches, but you can still get the idea. Make sure that you order the heads from AFR, then you will be sure to get the new ones.

About AFR: this is worth reading if you are thinking about these heads
http://www.airflowresearch.com/about.php

This is an article about the new heads:
http://airflowresearch.com/articles/article113/A-P1.htm

Here are the flow numbers: Yours street heads would be similar to the comp heads here.
http://www.airflowresearch.com/180sbc_sh.php

Here are the flow numbers for the edelbrock heads from Chevy hi performance. The numbers that they got for the AFR heads is similar to the numbers that AFR publishes, so it may be a farily accurate comparason. the mid lift flow numbers are just as important if not more so than the high lift numbers and the AFR's outperform the edelbrocks even more so there. As a loose rule of thumb, you can assume a possibility of 2.2 hp gain per one CFM of flow. You will probably not gain quite this much, but comparing flow at .500 lift, the AFR's flow 23 cfm more theoretically, that would mean you could be looking at 50 more hp. That is a really hand wavy way to show the power difference, but it at least gives you a little bit of an idea.

http://www.chevyhiperformance.com/te...se/index4.html

One last thing, the AFR heads are on a waiting list of about 6-8 weeks. It is a pretty good wait, but I think it would be worth it.

Adam

Last edited by firestone; 08-17-2006 at 03:02 PM.
Old 08-17-2006, 04:20 PM

Performer RPM intake is an excellent choice, but will not fit under stock 'vette hood when using the stock air cleaner. It will fit using a drop base cleaner. That is what I am running.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.