orange peel - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2005, 08:31 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

orange peel

I painted my firewall today and ended up with heavy orange peel on the entire area.
I'm using chroma-one single stage. Air pressure at the gun was set to 45 lbs. (HVLP) as stated on the can.
I assume I had my material feed open too much..Is that correct? Or could there be another cause?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2005, 09:13 PM

Last photo:

What gun are your using? what fluid tip size? what temp reducer? what color? does your air compressor keep up with your gun? If it's a metalic you'll have best results mixing catalyzed clear in with the paint 50/50 on the last two coats.
Old 07-14-2005, 12:58 PM

I'm using a central pneumatic 43430 with a 1.4mm tip. Mid temp reducer. (Air temp is 85 warming to 100+ by afternoon.) Color is gloss black. I have plenty of air pressure.
I bought this gun mainly to spray primer but i thought if it would spray a decent color coat I would use it to spray the firewall, inner fenders, and cab interior etc.
For the bc/cc on the exterior I will be using professional quality equipment at the local trade tech adult hobby class.
Old 07-14-2005, 09:01 PM

Last photo:

Yes I think you'll need to choke down the fluid adjustment and you might also need a slower reducer for them temps. The paint is going on too heavy and not being atomized correctly, your air pressure setting is probably alright or on the high side being an HVLP but I don't have any experience with your model gun. Less fluid will allow the gun to break it up easier but your reducer will need to be the right temp. I sprayed a lot of Chroma One with a basic devilbiss JGA 502 years ago with excellent results, this paint really shouldn't be all that tricky. Your gun adjustment must be off. I've sprayed quite a bit of Chroma One without reducer on chassis parts and smaller pieces and it comes out really nice with durability almost like powdercoating. A Dupont rep clued me in on the no reducer deal. A good friend of mine builds heavy duty truck bumpers and I spray them for him with unreduced C1-they hold up really well with a nice gloss. Bob

Last edited by baddbob; 07-14-2005 at 09:08 PM.
Old 07-14-2005, 09:13 PM
Problem Child,Hard Case

Last journal entry: Strangest job I've ever done
Last photo:

The old "Purple" gun.
Good gun, I've been using one for awhile. 1.4 tip set.
You need LOT'S of air with that gun. I run the hose regulator at 80-90 to get the gun regulator just into "the green zone" with the bottom air adjustment knob wide open. Material knob is around 2 turns out depending on material.
Old 07-14-2005, 11:17 PM
alex p

Last journal entry: AHH
Last photo:

check this out http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sum...Pspraygun.html
Old 07-15-2005, 08:01 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,192 Times in 1,051 Posts
Just a thought, but is this "orange peel" REALLY big looking like hills and valleys? It is common to find the interior as well as engine compartment has been exposed to "Armor ALL" type products. Or the oils or fluids found in the engine compartment have "imbedded" themselves in the old paint on the firewall or inner fenders and it gets sanded INTO the paint when sanding.

This "orange peel" is so bad it looks like very large grained leather.

Brian
Old 07-15-2005, 07:45 PM

Thanks for the replies.
I used the information in the purple sage link when I originally set up the gun.
My material feed is open 2 1/2 turns or so now, sounds like I just need to turn down a little next time I get some time to paint.
The weather is supposed to cool a bit the first of next week, if you can trust a weather man, perhaps I'll try to paint then.
I don't think oil could be the problem everything was sandblasted to bare metal. It just looks like plain old orange peel.
Old 07-15-2005, 08:24 PM
Problem Child,Hard Case

Last journal entry: Strangest job I've ever done
Last photo:

Do this, Use a piece of white "whatever" mounted verticle on something,and hold the gun out away with your hand sideways between the gun and paper then spread your fingers & thumb open like your trying to get someone's attention. "Hey, It's Me, Over Here..."Have your little finger touching the paper and your thumb at the gun nozzel. About 6-7" spread. Hold this position and move your hand down.Pull the trigger to air,then pull full on for 1 second. Adjust your fluid knob till it dosen't run from the cigar shaped pattern. That will get you in the ballpark. Thanks Brian.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.