orange peel in clear - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-30-2006, 08:36 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

orange peel in clear

Just painted a car with urethane acrylic and when i shot the clear i got major orange peel. I have lots of clear on it so i'm going to try to wet sand and buff it. Should i start with about a 1000 grit then move up? After wet sanding can i just apply a polish or do i need to go over it with some compound first? Can anyone suggest a few good makes of polish that are easy to find in most stores. Thanks a lot for the help.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2006, 11:31 PM

Last journal entry: Shop Remodel Progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricksautorestoration
Just painted a car with urethane acrylic and when i shot the clear i got major orange peel. I have lots of clear on it so i'm going to try to wet sand and buff it. Should i start with about a 1000 grit then move up? After wet sanding can i just apply a polish or do i need to go over it with some compound first? Can anyone suggest a few good makes of polish that are easy to find in most stores. Thanks a lot for the help.
Just a fair warning - I've seen orange peel so excessive that it could not be wet sanded and buffed out...so depending on how many coats of clear you may want to re-think what to do - you say you have a lot of clear on - how much is a lot? 3 double wet coats? more? less?

1000 is fine for a rough cut - but then go 1200/1500 and I usually end with 2000

You need to use a buffing compound first - usually a heavy duty or rough cut and then a polishing compound (make sure to wash all of the buffing compound off first) followed by a machine or hand glaze

DO NOT go to a typical "auto parts" store to get these materials - find a Auto Paint supply place and get the right stuff - I've never found a auto parts store to stock anything but "turtle wax" types and that won't cut it.

3m or McGuires are good bets...

When it comes to Wax - I've used McGuires #16 paste wax for 20 something years and always liked it.
Old 05-31-2006, 05:07 AM
Last photo:

I can vouch for the above tips. Todays clears are dang near impossible to apply without some degree of orange peal. Even when the surface looks perfectly flat once you start blocking it you see orange peal. It is a time consuming process color sanding and buffing, but that is what makes the paint job. The tip about going to a paint store for your supplies is dead on. 3M and McGuires are about the best you can use.

Vince

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.