Hot Rod Forum banner

Order of operations- 57 chev truck, frame off

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  baddbob 
#1 ·
I've fixed up cars before but this is my first frame off restomod. Last winter I completed the chassis. Installed a volare clip, had the frame blasted and painted, installed the motor,tranny rearend, gas tank between the frame and all new brakes. Now it's on to the body but I'm at a bit of a loss how to tackle this part. Right now the cab, minus front body clip and doors, is sitting on a small flatbed trailer on top of some railway ties. I'm going to get some help to do some of the prep work then a body shop (yet to be determined) will do the paint. How do I work on the bottom of the cab? Can I lift it safely with my ceiling chain hoist with a strap?, or tip it backwards on the shop floor? Should I leave it on the flatbed to go for paint or paint the firewall and set it on the frame to go for paint? It's going to be all one color, in and out and engine compartment. How's the body shop going to feel about painting this thing in so many pieces, cab, fenders, doors, box, tailgate, grille, rad support and all the small pieces. Should it be partially assembled before paint? or all in pieces. I should mention this is not going to be a show car but I'd like it to look half decent when done. I'd sure appreciate any advice at this point.

#2 ·
I would lay the cab on its back, with padding of course to do your work under there. That is, as long as the floor is solid enough that it is not going to buckle when you tip it,

It is a pain to paint all the pieces separately, as well as the bottom of the cab, etc. Ask your painter how he would do it. Maybe, he could come and paint the bottom etc at your shop.

#3 ·
Find your painter now and get your game plan down. Sometimes tipping the cab on it's firewall will work for doing the floor. Painting it in pieces is no big deal and actually alot easier if it's a solid nonmetalic color. Easier for the painter but stressfull for the assembler.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.