Order of operations advice- 67' Mustang - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-24-2013, 12:04 PM

Last journal entry: Project 92' Eddie
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Order of operations advice- 67' Mustang

I'm going thru my brothers 67 Mustang. As of now I have the front end stripped down and am in the process of fixing a few rusty spots in the engine compartment and the battery panel/apron which was rusty from an exploded battery. I'm debating on hauling the car to a sand blaster and have them strip the front end (cowl forward) vs doing it my self.. with chemical stripper/air tools and a small hand sand blaster. Time vs money I know but I don't want the car covered in sand either since the interior is complete and immaculate. In my sand blasting experience no matter how hard you try the sand goes everywhere you don't want it.
I would like to get the engine compartment/front end completely done and engine back in and then move on to the rest of the car over the winter. The rest of the car will be stripped and painted factory candy apple red. Car wont be a concurs restoration but I am going over every nut and bolt.
Engine compartment/front end is getting SPI epoxied then either a SPI black with clear or possibly a version of chassis black/matte black. Just curious on how some of you would go about this. Thanks

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2013, 12:06 PM

Last photo:

Here's a pic for fun
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ecom.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	633.1 KB
ID:	83561  
Old 09-24-2013, 12:46 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

True, Sandblasting sand does have tendency to go everywhere...however as you said, time versus money. I'd go the sandblasting route as long as you have an experienced sand blaster, Tape up all the vents, cowl, doors any area that will allow sand into the interior...then the sand that you do get is is minimized.

Also use a media that won't interfere with any primers that you plan on applying...a silica sand product, roughly a 36 grit sand would work and can be recycled. As you recycle sand the particles get smaller and the cutting or stripping quality diminishes. If done properly it is cost effective and faster than trying to remove paint by hand or using a chemical stripper.

Hope this helps.

Ray
Old 09-24-2013, 08:36 PM

Last photo:

On my 67, the engine bay was one of the first things I did as well. I went through all the major systems and rebuilt the suspension, brakes (though I am doing the CSRP disc upgrade), steering, and completely drive train, one by one. The suspension and steering are easy to do while you've got the engine bay broken down. Like you I am also doing a full restoration. I did bodywork next. I am in the steps of painting it now.

I've got lots of good connections for rebuilders, suppliers, etc if you need them.

I maintain a blog of my going-ons, I started in 2009.

1967 Mustang Restoration
Old 09-24-2013, 09:34 PM
Automotive Extraordinaire

Last photo:

Unless you are wanting a gloss finish on the under hood parts, the SPI black epoxy does a pretty good job of reproducing the factory look and does not need to be top coated. It give a satin finish and lays down great.

Kelly
Old 09-25-2013, 09:32 AM

Last photo:

Thanks for the replies everyone. Lizer- looking good and a very cool write up! Ive been documenting everything I am doing as well. I was thinking about just using black SPI epoxy... Depends on what my brother decides if he wants shine or matte. Ive never taken a vehicle to a sand blaster before so I dont know if I can trust them... kinda scary
Old 09-25-2013, 10:46 AM

Last photo:

I think I'm actually going to give the Mastercoat AG111 a try on my next engine bay. Solvent resistant/proof and if it's good enough for a subway car it's going to be good enough for my engine bay.
Old 09-25-2013, 12:18 PM

Last photo:

I like the look and "acclaimed" durability of the AG111 I think ill talk my brother into going that route. Thanks for the tip!

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.