Ordered a Hobart 140. Any advise? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2009, 07:01 AM
At a loss for words

Wiki Edits: 0

Ordered a Hobart 140. Any advise?

After years of entertaining the idea of having a welder and recent months spent looking at 110V units, I finally bit the bullet last night and ordered a Hobart 140. Now, I haven't welded anything in 15 years and even then it was just a crash course in my high school shop class. My thoughts are that I will basically teach myself to weld first using the flux core that comes with the machine. I have lots of scrap steel to practice on. Once I get comfortable with that, I'll make a cart for the welder and a gas bottle. By then I feel that I should be pretty comfortable with everything and I'll start in on the cab corners and rockers on my truck (using shielding gas of course). Can anyone else off thier two cents or some tips that will help me get started?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2009, 10:53 AM
Official Hotrod Forester

Last photo:

I have a Hobart 110V machine. Works well for light jobs. Would not want to weld a frame with it though. Just keep in mind that the flux wire and the regular wire will weld differently. I use mine mostly with the flux wire, but not for body work. Use GAS when welding body pannels. The flux can get trapped under the paint and cause it to bubble up after a while.

Sounds like your on the right track though, practice on scrap first!
Old 07-23-2009, 12:20 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Engine basic condition - how to check Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 26

I have a friend who welds for a living and he uses a Hobart 140 for a lot of his small and medium jobs.

Chet
Old 07-23-2009, 12:36 PM
At a loss for words

I have access to a Lincoln 220 arc if I need to do anything over probably 7ga. I know the HH140 says it will do 1/4" with the flux, but I think I want to get my skill level up quite a bit before I do anything like that.

I'll get into frames and stuff later when I have been skills and probably a better machine. For now I'll just get some practice under my belt and then move on to some body work, brackets, and maybe even some custom headers. I'm getting excited about some projects that I can now make into reality!
Old 07-23-2009, 02:04 PM

Last photo:

Just a couple of things, first use C25 gas and don't try to save a few dollars by using CO2, it will work but not nearly as good and the C25 is more than worth the extra cost. I have no idea if you would have even considered using CO2 but thought it worth mentioning. Also when you start practicing use some actual body panels cleaned and prepped as they would be if they were to actually be used on the car and set up joints just as you would be using when you start to install actual parts. Too often someone will practice on nice clean sheetmetal and just run beads on flat surfaces and think they have it down only to find a totally different situation when they try to weld in those new (and often expensive!) panels. Grind some of the joints (on the practice parts) even thinner than the actual part to simulate having to join parts that are thin because of rust removal or from other grinding and try to learn to butt weld the joints, lap joints do work ok but leave an area for moisture to be trapped and for rust to start.

Just a couple of thoughts that might help when you start in on that cab, much better to make mistakes on scrap than on your car or truck!
Old 07-23-2009, 02:32 PM
At a loss for words

Thanks for the advise oldred. I've got a couple old pieces of junk that are rusting away that I can cut up and make test panels out of. I definitely will be practicing butt welding the joints. I've actually already priced out the refills for the C25 gas and one of the places about 30 miles from me is very reasonable in their pricing. Now I just have to keep my eye out for a good deal on a tank.
Old 07-25-2009, 11:30 AM

Last journal entry: Original wood for Drip pan
Last photo:

Tanks

Check Craigs List for used owner bottles. You don't have to find a co2 or ca25 bottle as most welding supply stores will exchange other gas bottles for what you want. Look in the Tool and General sections on Craigs list.

Jack.
Old 07-25-2009, 07:42 PM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:

Good luck !!!!!
Old 07-27-2009, 04:32 PM

Check with your gas supplier if they lease tanks, for people working on a specific project sometimes it comes out as the better deal.

I bought the small 20CF tank when I bought my Hobart 140 and quickly decided that wasn't nearly big enough for the amount of welding I was to be doing so I asked them about my options.
The lease agreement they offered me was, for $55 dollars/year they would give me a 120CF tank to use.
The only thing I need to pay for is the gas and that costs me roughly $75 each fill up.
Two tanks was plenty to finish the entire car and there was a boatload of welding to be done.
This worked out well for me because I am not a full time welder just a hobbyist with a huge welding project.
After that project is done and over with I can re-fill and keep my smaller 20CF tank for little odds n ends welding.
Old 07-27-2009, 04:58 PM
At a loss for words

$171 for the initial cost of the lease and $48 per year after that, plus the filling charges. Went online and found a brand new 80cf tank, full of C25, and shipped to my door for $200. I think I'm going to go that route when I'm ready for the gas.
Old 07-29-2009, 12:59 AM

Last journal entry: Shop Remodel Progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1meancuda
$171 for the initial cost of the lease and $48 per year after that, plus the filling charges. Went online and found a brand new 80cf tank, full of C25, and shipped to my door for $200. I think I'm going to go that route when I'm ready for the gas.
Better make sure its a tank your local supply will fill.

You should be able to just buy a tank outright - not lease it!

I just bought a tank for 140.00 from my local supplier (PraxAir) and no problems ever getting it filled.

Just something to keep in mind.

Old 07-29-2009, 07:15 AM
At a loss for words

I'm definitely going to buy a tank rather than lease one. I need to stop up at the local AirGas depot and see what they say. Lots of different options, but I'm not quite there yet.

On a side note, the welder arrived yesterday evening, but my wife says that I'm not allowed to play around with it until the home projects are done first.
Old 07-29-2009, 07:38 AM

Last photo:

One more thing about that tank, and a very important one from a savings standpoint, is to get the biggest tank you can safely handle. The cost of the gas per cubic foot goes down substantially as the size of the tank goes up, it costs only slightly more to fill a large tank as it does a small one and in some places the bigger tanks cost about the same or only slightly more than a small one.
Old 07-29-2009, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldred
One more thing about that tank, and a very important one from a savings standpoint, is to get the biggest tank you can safely handle. The cost of the gas per cubic foot goes down substantially as the size of the tank goes up, it costs only slightly more to fill a large tank as it does a small one and in some places the bigger tanks cost about the same or only slightly more than a small one.
Yep Roughly $50 to fill that puny 20CF tank but around $75 to fill the 120CF monster.
Old 07-29-2009, 11:23 PM
At a loss for words

I noticed that when I was looking at the price list. I think I'll go with either an 80 or 120cu tank. If I find the 80cu on a good deal from somewhere, I'll probably go with that. Otherwise, if I buy new, I think I'll just spring for the 120.

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.