Organizating tool box - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2004, 06:40 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Organizating tool box

Got my new roll away with top box. 52 inch wide Sears Professional model. Looking for hints and tips on drawer organizers and what goes in what drawers. The box came with the rubberized drawer liners.

I was thinking of the hand tool (sockets, wrenches, ect) in the top box and power (air and electric) in the lower box.

SUGESTIONS??

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2004, 06:52 AM
or Jeff, or Doc, or...

Last journal entry: Results of the Camaro
Last photo:

Think about the tools you use the most and put them where they are the easiest to get to. The least used tools go in the bottom of the bottom box, or top of the top box. Everyone is different.
Old 02-04-2004, 04:34 PM
Just one of the guys

Last journal entry: Garage Toys
Last photo:

Sears has nice boxes and some of their tools are good but I wouldn't give you $.10 for their ratchets. Knuckle Busters!!1 Changes direction in mid ratchet, and everything just feels loose in them. Sears quality has really went downhill with their hand tools. One thing that really gripes my butt is that when you buy a new ratchet and it goes bad they do not give you another new one but they give you a rebuilt one. I have had 2 sets of 1/4" 3/8" and 1/2" drive and need to take them in for a third set. Look around for different ones. We use a Proto set at work and the reversing mechanism is recessed so your hand does not accidently touch it. And it seems tight, not like Sears. Then there is the 3/8" set of Sears metric sockets that for some reason everyone decided to rust. None of the other sockets have, just this 3/8" drive socket set. Shop around.

Kevin
Old 02-04-2004, 05:28 PM
STUPID is as STUPID does...

Last wiki edit: Crankshaft Coalition Wiki Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Larry,
I feel your pain, bud... I have two sets of nice roll arounds. A Kennedy and a Craftsman. I find that the only tools I keep in either one of them are the ones I DON'T use... The ones I DO use are always out on the benches or under a car. Just something to think about when you're planning drawer usage.
Mark
Old 02-04-2004, 06:16 PM
adtkart@aol.com

Last photo:

As far as how to organize your box, it is up to you. I have seen them set up about every way they can be done. Everyone has a different opinion on how they should be. I just hope that the boxes you got have the bearings in the drawers. They make a world of difference, specially when the drawers start getting full, and they will.

Kevin... as far as the ratchets go, I have several Craftsman ratchets. I have had very little problems with them over the years. I do have a Snap-on ratchet that isn't worth anything. It has been rebuilt numerous times, with the same results. It is still garbage. It cost me 5 times as much as the ratchet it replaced, and has been garbage from day 1.
Old 02-04-2004, 07:59 PM
56 Thunderbird,68 Harley

Last photo:

adtkart,
I've been buying and using Snap-On tools for 34 years. And the only time I had any trouble with the ratchets is when I abused them or the tool man didn't rebuild them right afterwords. All the stuff in the ratchet head should be replaced, not just the stuff that shows damage or wear. One of mine was purchased in 1970, it's been rebuilt at least 8 times and works fine. I know Snap-On tools are expensive , but when you wrench for a living I think they are worth the cost.
Old 02-05-2004, 07:20 AM
or Jeff, or Doc, or...

Last photo:

I almost live in my garage. Refrig, urinal, TV, chairs, all the essentials, ya know? ( I know, no toilet. Ya gotta see the wife and kids some times! Might as well be while your on the way if for that!) Anyway, I am always using my tools. Between the hot rods, drag sleds, snowmobiles, lawn/snow equipment, tractors, 4wheelers, machine tools, etc., I always have a wrench in my hand. I still have my first set of wrenches (S-K) from when I was 12 ! Anyway, I have just about all the brands. Snap on, Mac, S-K Craftsmen, etc. I have to tell you, the Snap Ons look pretty, and the fit my hands OK, but for the money, you can't go wrong with Craftsman. A 7 pc wrench set for $9.99 on sale? A complete set of metric & SAE sockets 1/4, 3/8, 1/2" w/ wrenches , screwdrivers, allen wrenches for $160.00? You can buy 6 sets of Craftsman for the same price as a Tool Truck brand. And thats EXACTLY what I do. I have at least 10 sets of common size wrenches, 4 sets of sockets w/ rachets. Etc. I can't pass up the sales, man. I'm addicted. My thought was that I could make a trip once a month and still not slow down my wrenching because of a broken tool.

Honestly, it's been about 6 years since I had to warranty a tool. If you use THE RIGHT TOOL FOR THE RIGHT JOB, craftsman will do fine. Adding a pipe to a rachet is asking to break it. Thats why they make breaker bars. Using a 1/2" rachet, necked down to a 1/4" drive socket will split the socket. I've done it. And they will break. Use a 12 point for heavy work is asking it to slip or split.

Its a matter of preference for the brand. There's no doubt that there is prestige using a tool truck tool. But truthfully, I can't tell the difference. The jobs all get done without frustration. I make it up in quantity, I guess. I can leave on set of tools near one job, and start another project without chasing tools. But, to each his own.
Old 02-05-2004, 05:36 PM
Anything with a throttle

Last photo:

Try the New Stanley ratchets. Didn't Mac buy Stanley anyhow....??
I put my sockets and ratchets in the top of the top box. That way there is no need to open a drawer evertime you need a socket. I have specialty tools in the second drawer. Screwdrivers in the 3rd. and Combo wrenches in the 4th. Bottom drawer in top box is hammers and such. Bottom box is punches, air tools and the lesser used tools.
Old 02-05-2004, 06:55 PM
adtkart@aol.com

Last photo:

The Snap on ratchet that I have has had the internals replaced several times. must be something wrong with the handle. It's the only part that hasn't been replaced. I have only had 1 Craftsman ratchet that I have had problems with. I took it back and got another brand new one to replace it.

Everyone has their own favorites when it comes to tools. I found many years ago, when using my tools professionally, that I needed tools that I could depend on. On top of that, and brand of tools can fail. I bought certain tools from the tool trucks for certain reasons. When they would serve the purpose, I bought Craftsman tools because if they failed, and needed replacement, it was just a stop on the way home.

Buy the tools that you feel most comfortable with, and organize them for your comfort.
Old 02-05-2004, 09:12 PM

Last wiki edit: Window removal and installation Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

I reorganized my tools many times over the years because of different boxes or because I was doing different jobs.
I always like to put my sockets on racks in the very top though.
The first drawer (big single one) holds all the ratchets, extensions, adapters, etcetera.
Next are the normal combination wrenches.
Next oddball specialty wrenches and adjustables.
Last, pliers.
Another top box, has stuff on top like a tap set and a torque wrenches.
First drawer is all that oddball stuff I keep. Markers, valve stem tool, address book, little weird stuff.
Next scewdrivers, prybars, and things like screwdrivers.
Then chisels and punches.
Then Allen tools.
Then tune up tools, vacuum gauge, timing light, etc.
And it goes on.
I have a neat big plastic thing that holds a complete set of screwdrivers nicely organized. It used to be in a drawer but has been hanging on the wall for a couple of years. My vice grip collection hangs on the wall along with the hammers. Tools I like to be able to just grab.
I also have 4 portable boxes. One contains all my 1/2"drive socket stuff and is very heavy. Two is a plastic "Craftsman" type monster 3/8"and 1/4" socket and ratchet set which generally lasts about a year before I have to buy another one (the box, not the tools in it). Three, a "tote" thing that holds hammers and my commonly used tools like a wrench set. Four, a small version of a top box that holds various specialty type tools and smaller stuff.
I rarely have to load up all four, but sometimes...
It took me years to get all this stuff placed where it was convenient to me. The reason the portable stuff is in 4 boxes is that I discovered just two were nicer but backbreaking to load/unload. My needs (and anybody else's) are different from yours.
Don't just say "that goes there" and be done. You'll likely find yourself rearranging stuff to work better, and you should.
The only real tip I can give is that what you use most is what you want to put right at the natural level of your hand or in a direct line to your eye. Preferably both.
Hence my sockets are in top box #1 where I can can see them easily. Wrenches are at hand level as I can almost select the one I want by feel. Top box #2 sits up way too high so I've put rarely used stuff in the top of it.
Old 02-06-2004, 07:25 AM
or Jeff, or Doc, or...

Last photo:

Another handy thing is to get a label maker. They cost anywhere from 5 to 100 bucks, depending on how nice you want them. Anyway, label the drawers, by all means. This way, when a buddy or your kid goes to grab a tool for you (or put them away?) it'll make it that much easier.
Old 02-06-2004, 12:46 PM
Custer had it Comin'!!!

Last photo:

Kids putting tools away? Oh yeah...right. Mine must have missed that memo.
Old 02-07-2004, 04:54 PM
Just one of the guys

Last journal entry: Garage Toys
Last photo:

Quote:
It used to be in a drawer but has been hanging on the wall for a couple of years. My vice grip collection hangs on the wall along with the hammers. Tools I like to be able to just grab.
Quote:
Another handy thing is to get a label maker
I don't like my stuff hanging on the walls. Main reason being I always forget what I need and have to walk back over and get it. I have a Sears 12 drawer roll-around and a 12 drawer box on top. I have to drag it over to where I am working so everything is at hand. I never though of using the label maker. The wife has one so I will be putting it to good use. Thanks for the tip.

Kevin
Old 02-10-2004, 03:22 PM
Distracted by shiny objects

Last photo:

You need to have a talk with 4 Jaw Chuck. His tool box is amazingly organized considering he has more tools than he can use in two lifetimes! And that's just the stuff he keeps at home!

Chickie.
Old 02-11-2004, 06:40 PM
adtkart@aol.com

Last photo:

Most women believe that guys have too many tools. I have a policy on buying tools. If I need to borrow one once, that is fine. If I need it twice, I buy it. I have figured, if I need to borrow a special wrench to remove a bolt, I return it before I re-install the bolt. That way I have to borrow it a second time, hence the need to purchase one. Works here!

As for labling the drawers. The problem with me doing that is my kid then knows where things are when he wants to take them.

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.