Hot Rod Forum banner

Organizing Tool Box

11K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  MARTINSR 
#1 ·
After several years of working out of conventional "carry" tool boxes; I've purchased an 11 drawer tool cabinet. I would be interested any feedback/suggestion on how best to load the new cabinet. What should I put in the smaller drawers toward the top and then the drawers from top to bottom? I have basic hand tools; nothing exotic in the inventory. Thanks; Al

#2 ·
i usually put the most commonly used items in the chest from top to bottom, bottom being the least used items. if corse you can't fit big stuff in small drawers so some comprimise will be needed. the older i get the less i like getting something from the bottom of my box (bad back). it really just depends on what tools you got.

#3 ·
I keep the heavy stuff on the bottom of my tool cabinet,
for one reason; to keep it resistant to tipping over.

I was surprised one day when I had about 3 drawers open at
once, that the cabinet started to come up off the 2 back wheels!!!

Since then, I keep the body dollys and such in the bottom drawer,
working up to the hand wrenches in the flat top drawer, to give
a lower center of gravity....

#4 ·
I agree that you want the most used tools in the top and then sort by size with heavy stuff in the bottom. However, tool box organization is a personal thing. You might want to organize your tools by purpose. All automotive tools in the top 4 drawers. Cutting tools in the next 2 drawers and plumbing in the next, etc.

Something else you may want to consider are some tool organizers so you can keep all of your sockets, open end wrenches or box wrenches organized by size in your tool box and then be able to grab the whole set when you need to use it somewhere. There are all kinds of organizers like this.

Once you are all done organizing your tools in the tool box you may want to label the drawers so it is easy to find everything at a glance.

You will love having a large tool box. I couldn't get along without mine anymore! I kept my old carry around box for those situations where You have do something away from home such as a friend needing some help at his house or someone in your family stranded on the road, etc.

#5 ·
Click here for the "Basics of Basics" Tool box organization.

I am a nut on tool box organization and feel it saves me a LOT of time. The time spent on setting up the box is saved MANY times over while using the tools. I don't care where you put your heavy tools if you have a good box and you don't open more than a couple of drawers at a time, it isn't going to make a ant hill of difference.

I had my box fall over on me once too. It didn't teach me to move the heavy stuff down (heavy stuff that I use every day, no way, I want it where it is easiest to get to) it taught me to not open more than one drawer at a time!!!!

I mean, WHY would one need to open more than a drawer at a time anyway??

Brian

#6 ·
That pretty much happens naturally, whatever you start out with it will change over time . It is like fine wine it changes with time and gets better suited for your needs. I would keep the big stuff down low . I never had a tool box fall on me for what it is worth..

#8 ·
Wow Im glad u guys are so organized, i am too, I organize the tools in my van and 3 big tool chests in my garage and after a hard days work it all goes to hell in a hand basket.
So ive done this.
Top box,very top under lid, all 3/8 drive u.s. n metric with ratchets ext etc.
up to 1 n 24 mm 1/2 drive
drawer below that screw drivers , torqs and allens
Drawer below that pliers of all kinds
Drawer below that electical stuff
Drawer below that micrometers and measuring toolsdial indicators verniers etc
The bottom cabinet i use for the big n heavy stuff so i wont have a tool avalanche with the cabinets on my lap
I also found it very helpfull to have a couple of tool carts next to vehicle,saves a lot of walking, when Im working fast and furious I have all kinds of stuff all over,you knw,air hoses ext cords etc.
I think the worst part of any job is putting all ur stuff away after working all day and I have to stop every 2 weeks or so and clean up the nightmare,if my stuff is disorganised,I dont even feel like working.I do mostly engine work,u have to suit your toolbox to ur needs.....Hope this helps....

#12 ·
And for goodness sakes if you have one that you don't use or don't use often, get it out of the box! Put what you USE in that box. Why in the world use your tool box to store a bunch of tools you never use? In some cabinet, sure, store them so you have them when you need them. But to have them stored in your box that you use every day, it is just a waste of space.

Brian

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.