Hot Rod Forum banner

Orientation of large splines on '95 GM pitman

1K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  aosborn 
#1 ·
Does anyone happen to know the orientation of large splines on '95 Caprice or Roadmaster pitman arm. The pitman arm I'm trying to replace has them at 3,6,9, AND 12 O'CLOCK.
Thanks

#4 ·
I'm trying to determine if I will be able to use the pitman arm that is from a 95 Roadmaster on a 77 bronco Saginaw steering box. I was told ford bronco pitman arm evidently has large splines at 3,6,9 & 12 oclock. I assume that means 6 & 12 are aligned with the pitman arm axis.
My question is:
Does anyone know it the splines on a 95 Roadmaster Saginaw pitman arm are aligned similarly? This would help because I would like to use 95 spindles.
Thanks

#5 ·
If the pitman arm you intend to use fits the splines on the steering gear you don't have to be concerned wether or not it has the proper master splines. You can remove a spline on the pitman arm wherever you need to when aligning it on the steering gear. When doing something like this, you need to be certain that the pitman arm and the idler arm are the same length so the steering linkage will work properly. The spindles are another matter altogether...

Andy

#6 ·
Thanks for your help.
I will be using the pitman arm, idler, and front spindles all from a 95 Roadmaster. Did not have room for the 95 Roadmaster steering box because the chassis is very narrow at the front axle. That is why I'm planning on using the Bronco steer box mounted to the outside of the frame.
Thanks

#7 ·
Does the Buick pitman arm fit onto the Bronco steering box? I mean, are the diamenter, taper and spline count the same?

If so, what you are doing should work okay. Just center the steering gear while on the chassis and then figure out where you need the master spline to be on your pitman arm so it will point straight ahead. If if aligns with a stock master spline, that is great, but if not then use a file to take out the spline on the arm that is in the way, then install the arm. Simple...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.