Origin of term "hot rod" ??? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2009, 05:42 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Origin of term "hot rod" ???

I think the "Trivia Thread" (Which has been a great thread!) got this question planted in my brain over the last several days but I have yet to find it. Online searches indicated "hot rod" came into our lexicon in the 40's but with no explanation of where it came from.

My hope is some of the old timers might recollect.

Rice

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2009, 06:23 AM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

Better hurry....most of those "old timers" are dead...........

I don't know who coined the term....I guess it's like anything else, someone thought it up and it got around and stuck...

What I would like to know is....What's so important about the "Rat" in rat rod?.........they have been called "hot rods" since the 40s, why change it now?.....

Budget RVs
Old 02-02-2009, 06:49 AM
How’s that hopey-changey thing

Last wiki edit: Determining top dead center
Last journal entry: Quicky frame dolly
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

First time I ever heard Rat associated with a vehicle, were RAT bikes (easy rider mag 70s), on the other hand cars looking like a pile of junk on wheels were merely deemed junk cars.

Today everyone has to be some groupie to feel complete, and we now have these lame loose organizations floating around .. Like the clowns in the big stupid pants or hat on backwards , backward hat is the first indicator of a moron.

They do not even have to flap their lips, that hat speaks volumes for em..
Old 02-02-2009, 07:11 AM
Just one of the guys

Last journal entry: Garage Toys
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rice1965
I think the "Trivia Thread" (Which has been a great thread!) got this question planted in my brain over the last several days but I have yet to find it. Online searches indicated "hot rod" came into our lexicon in the 40's but with no explanation of where it came from.

My hope is some of the old timers might recollect.

Rice
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hot_rod According to this article it came into use in the 30's
Old 02-02-2009, 11:32 AM

Last journal entry: 161-27 The Frog Follies
Last photo:

I had always thought that it came from throwing rods/too hot engines?? Anyway, I wanted to just throw in this. Was watching an old movie made in '49 about the Battle of the Bulge, Van Johnson and a bunch of others, when they were on patrol and needed to exchange passwords with some suspect (maybe fake GI's). After a bunch of baseball terms one guy asks "what's a hot rod?" and gets the reply "It's a souped jalopy." They new what it meant!
Old 02-02-2009, 11:44 AM
NAVY VETERAN

Last photo:

Hot rods are typically American cars with large engines modified for linear speed. Nobody knows for sure the origin of the term "hot rod." One explanation is that the term is a contraction of "hot roadster," meaning a roadster that was modified for speed. Open roadsters were the cars of choice to modify because they were light. Hot Rod may also refer to the connecting rods, cam, or pushrods inside the engine or to the exposed frame rails of such an automobile. It has also been noted that burning out the connecting rod bearings was a very common failure mode for souped up four-cylinder Fords, particularly the Model T, and "hot rod" could refer to that phenomenon. It was adopted in the 1930s or 1940s as the name of a car that had been "hopped up" by modifying the engine in various ways to achieve higher performance.

The term can also apply to other items that are "souped up" for a particular purpose, such as "hot-rodded amplifier".

google is your friend!
Old 02-02-2009, 09:41 PM
Semper Gumby

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

Origins of terms

On a similar sort of theme - the term "Drag Racing"

I have seen many ideas of where it came from, but the only one that ever made sense to me was that kids used to race on the main drag (main street) of any town they were in, because it was usually the only street that was long, paved and wide enough.

Of course this contradicts the intent of the educational slogan (& bumper stickers) aimed at curbing street racing: "Drag Racing is Not Street Racing"

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.