Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Original 350 or crate?
View Single Post
Old 12-24-2012, 11:30 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks for the feed back. I'm pretty new to old trucks & hot rodding but always impressed with folks willingness to share their knowledge. While money is always a consideration, I am mostly interested in comparative cost and performance between rebuilding what I have and buying a crate. I also have a 50 Chevy truck in which my son & I opted for a blueprint 383. It was hard to beat the pan to carb deals when replacing the 216. In my 69 daily driver however, I have a good running 350 w/145k original miles that would be fine as is if it didn't leak oil from several places. I need to learn how to rebuild an engine but don't have time at present. I am either going to have it rebuilt or buy a crate. It will still be a daily driver so I don't need HP but more HP is always fun if I don't look at the gas gauge, right? Since my truck is pretty much intact as it came from the factory I lean toward keeping the original engine unless I can improve things by going with a later yr block. What I'm hearing so far is that all things considered, my 69 2 pc seal block should be as good as any. Is this correct or are there benefits to a later model 350? Assuming I go w/original block, what do I check/look for when comparing shops and work to be done?