Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Original 350 or crate?
View Single Post
Old 12-24-2012, 03:33 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinniekq2 View Post
I dont understand how a crate engine could have worn valve guides?
I see a lot of crate engines come with all brand new parts,including blocks. I understand some are better than others. I also understand price counts too.(no free lunch) My friend John Graham purchased a crate 540 race engine and it came to his shop exactly as advertised.He races in Calgary and is a well know 9.90 racer.

Maybe the economy engines are more of a problem? I tell people that a stock engine is not that much cheaper than high performance. A new cam is the same price if its small or large,new springs are the same price,etc,,, a square block is the same price for stock as race. I expect a g note on machining and I balance all but the cheapest engines.
Well that particular engine had Sportsman II heads that came brand new and assembled. Several engine builders and some folks at that track say those are great heads but they come set up "loose" and that it's best to buy the bare head and assemble yourself/or have your engine builder do it. The manufacturer would rather they consume oil than lock up or seize. Obviously BluePrint just slaps them on and don't check the clearances. I ran every valve seal imaginable and it never helped the oil consumption and having to pull the headers to replace an oil fouled plug every 500 miles got old quick.